Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles

Why do you DIY?

So long story short, the other day I got the chance to sit down at the sewing machine for the first time in a LONG time...

Friday machine sesh.jpg

We've all heard the saying If you don't use it, you lose it... and in my case, the it is the feeling of being HOOKED on DIY - starting with a pile of fabric and components, then coming out on the other side with gear you can actually use. It's what eventually led to us starting RBTR in the first place.

For me, DIY and making my own gear is about the pride I get in knowing I made that. Unfortunately, as time rolls on and things get busy, bigger, etc, it can be easy to lose sight of where you started and what you love. We’re not immune. We love sewing, DIY, and making gear, but for whatever number of “reasons” we haven’t done a lot of it lately.

That being said, I guess the good news is that the fire is pretty easy to get back... you just start sewing again .

But all this got me wondering.... What drives different folks to want to DIY? Do others feel the same way I do? Is it pride, price, something else entirely?

So I figured what better way than to just ask everyone and see - WHY DO YOU DIY? I really look forward to hearing everyone's comments. Thanks!

Why Do You DIY.jpg
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    11 ft DIY from RSBTR
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    straps + cinch
    As a Design Engineer by education and profession, I love to design something and then make it a reality!
    With that, the price point of diy gear is super appealing. So long as it is a feasible project for my skill set.
    For me, it's all about the joy of making something I designed!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageX89 View Post
    As a Design Engineer by education and profession, I love to design something and then make it a reality!
    With that, the price point of diy gear is super appealing. So long as it is a feasible project for my skill set.
    For me, it's all about the joy of making something I designed!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
    For sure I definitely get that aspect of it, especially being an ex-engineer. I think coming up with a design and executing it kinda scratches a technical itch.
    - Kyle

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I'm just coming out of a diy hiatus as well. It had only been 4 or 5 months since I had the chance to build something, but I longed to every night.
    Life just got too busy.
    Just over the last two weeks I've started working my way back down my project list. Not only does it feel great to get back to it, but I'm slowly working my way through the large stockpiles of fabric and components I've accumulated.
    I started getting back into the swing of things using the less expensive materials I had..sort of prototyping ideas and being sure I could still churn out gear to my standards. Even from the first piece I feel like I didnt miss a beat. Now I just wish I would have started with the good stuff
    So now I'm a few projects down and still have tons on my list.
    I'm sure the feeling is the same, it feels great to revisit something you have a passion for, no matter how long the absence may have been.

Hammock
    HH Jungle Safari Zip
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon Poly
    Insulation
    HH Pad Wool Fleece
    Suspension
    Stock
    I wanted to learn to work in fabrics, I work in wood, I work with metals, now I sew

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    For me, it is the ability to create 'exactly' what I want. If I want it 1/2" this way or that, I can. If I want to add this or take away that, I can.

... And the reason I DIY home, car, and basically anything else I can, is that I don't like paying somebody to do what I can do...and most times I don't trust that it will be done right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    It feels good to sleep in the gear that I made.

I can get everything exactly how I want it and in the color that I want.

Sewing is kind of like meditation for me, and I find DIY to be a relaxing hobby. I feel like I am close to my grandma when I am at the machine, which makes me feel very nice.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy
    Insulation
    diy quilt sets
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    Images
    There are several reasons I diy. As mentioned, customization to fit a particular need is part of it. Another part is cost savings for some projects. However, for me, I think the sense of accomplishment when I complete a project is a huge part of it. If things turn out really well I do take alot of pride in it. Another big part is that along the way I ALWAYS learn something and I think learning.....at any age, is an important part of living. There are a few downsides to diy though....mostly friends wanting you to make things for them...haha....usually I do and am more than happy to!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    It feels good to sleep in the gear that I made.
    I can get everything exactly how I want it and in the color that I want.

Sewing is kind of like meditation for me, and I find DIY to be a relaxing hobby. I feel like I am close to my grandma when I am at the machine, which makes me feel very nice.
    That's it! Plus I can make things i can't afford to buy.

RSBTR is a tremendous source for almost anything I need.

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    I'm just coming out of a diy hiatus as well. It had only been 4 or 5 months since I had the chance to build something, but I longed to every night.
    Life just got too busy.
    Just over the last two weeks I've started working my way back down my project list. Not only does it feel great to get back to it, but I'm slowly working my way through the large stockpiles of fabric and components I've accumulated.
    I started getting back into the swing of things using the less expensive materials I had..sort of prototyping ideas and being sure I could still churn out gear to my standards. Even from the first piece I feel like I didnt miss a beat. Now I just wish I would have started with the good stuff
    So now I'm a few projects down and still have tons on my list.
    I'm sure the feeling is the same, it feels great to revisit something you have a passion for, no matter how long the absence may have been.
    Glad to hear you're back at it too . I look forward to seeing your posts as you tick off that list! Maybe we can even add some to it...
    - Kyle

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast