Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps

Lightbulb IA > Eastern > Planning / Interest

My son and I attended our first group hang earlier this year and it was a blast. I'd like to be able to get out again a little closer to home. I've been doing some searching and found a couple of possible spots that look promising.

First off the Maquoketa Caves State Park, IA is reopening later this month for camping. There aren't any group sites, but there are six walk to sites which are near each other. I've never camped at this park, but I have had the opportunity to walk one of the trails many years ago and still remember the impression of lush green trees surrounding the trail.

A second option is Sugar Bottom, IA which is a part of Coralville Lake area. This campground has four group sites that are set a ways off from the main camping area and based on the aerial view they seem to have a nice amount of trees.

Anyone have experience hammock camping at either of these sites that they'd like to share? Other locations you'd like to throw into the ring for consideration? I'd be looking at something this fall before it gets too chilly or waiting until next spring after it starts to warm up. Open to dates that people would like to throw out there for consideration.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    I'm planning to scope out Nelson Dewey State Park next month. It's right across the Mississippi from Turkey River Mounds State Monument. If I find Nelson Dewey to be a good location, then I'll probably plan a hang there next year. Just letting you know the thoughts in my head...
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    I look forward to hearing what you find out. We're finally using our Tensa Stands for the first time this weekend. They definitely get two thumbs up from me, although I'm tempted to sell them and get the newer models with some of the upgraded features. Time will tell.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I just created a page for the Iowa Hang at Yellow River: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-State-Forest

The past few years we've had really good luck with the weather in early November. Hoping our good fortunes continue.

FF

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps
    there is pinicon ridge in central city they have group sites, but i still prefer yellow river

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps
    been hearing they are working on a spring hang in yellow river this year

Hammock
    Ticket To The Moon
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Quilt
    Suspension
    Hammock Straps
    Thanks for recommending Pinicon Ridge in Central City. I took a look at the group sites online and from the pictures it appears that these sites have very few trees that would allow for hanging in the group sites. Have you camped in or checked out these group sites in person? Would you be able to estimate the number of hangers that could set up in the single group site?

I'm interested in trying out Yellow River, unfortunately from the description of the recent hangs being planned there I don't think it would work out for my family. I don't have a facebook account so I'm unable to view any details beyond what is posted here. There seems to be a pretty strong hiking focus with the campsites a fair trek away from parking. While I don't mind an occasional easy hike, having to hike in to my campsite carrying all my gear isn't my idea of fun.

Hammock
    dream hammock
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    underquilt
    Suspension
    straps
    there is a dirt/gravel road back to the group site, i will check on trees here soon. from what i remember on one end there are more trees than the other, not a lot of help i know. it is only a few miles from me but the road is pure ice right now so when i can get down to them i will check on it. there are some nice trails though, if i could figure out how to post pictures i would. i will be checking it out soon though, i will have a new dream hammock that i just ordered and will be itching to use

• + New Posts