Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have been humbled by time, chance, and events. In humility I decided to revist this thread because I needed surgery for a torn meniscus last spring. Most likely I injured the knee while boulder hopping off the Bitterrroots Trapper peak in the fall of 2018. I lived with it through the winter before I decided I needed medical consultation because spring was coming and the thought of a hobbled summer back packing season was too much to bear. Nonetheless, I still spent last summer rehabing from the surgery. As part of that I ended up using a small tempur-pedic pillow from the goodwill store under my injured knee. I'm currently still using the pillow under my knee as part of my full time hanging experience even though my knee is considerable, and thankfully, better.

I still stand by my original concept that a hammock should be comfortable without needing supplemental junk for most folks. However, as I have become schooled, there are exception to the rule.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I have been humbled by time, chance, and events. In humility I decided to revist this thread because I needed surgery for a torn meniscus last spring. Most likely I injured the knee while boulder hopping off the Bitterrroots Trapper peak in the fall of 2018. I lived with it through the winter before I decided I needed medical consultation because spring was coming and the thought of a hobbled summer back packing season was too much to bear. Nonetheless, I still spent last summer rehabing from the surgery. As part of that I ended up using a small tempur-pedic pillow from the goodwill store under my injured knee. I'm currently still using the pillow under my knee as part of my full time hanging experience even though my knee is considerable, and thankfully, better.

I still stand by my original concept that a hammock should be comfortable without needing supplemental junk for most folks. However, as I have become schooled, there are exception to the rule.
    Hey OTDog,
    Welcome to the club! I have a hammock, for which I have sought your advice in the past, the HT90º. It is def one of my fav overall hammocks, but as you know, one of it's (to me minor) issues is knee extension when used with a pad(sometimes I get it, other times not quite noticeable) Zero calf ridge, zero shoulder squeeze, great side sleep, but some knee extension. But, guess what fixes that? Yep, the old pillow. (but another way that seems to work is to just slide my heels outside the foot end, but I have not tried that over night yet, might cause some other problem)

I know what you mean about how a hammock should work without any of these tricks. OTOH, the dang knee pillow not only wipes out the difference(for me) between most GE hammocks, the thing is- for me at least- regardless of knee extension or calf ridge, it just makes most hammocks- of any type- even more comfy for me, at least for back sleeping. Might even help for side sleeping when placed between the thighs. It's that old trick we used to use in surgery, for local anesthesia for cataracts where the patients - especially elderly- were awake. The most pain they would have, after we got them numbed up, was in their backs from laying flat on the well added OR table. A knee pillow to the rescue, solving that lower back pain. I finally decided, after years of trying to solve calf ridge in GE hammocks, that I am just better off using the dang pillow in all hammocks, calf ridge or not, knee extension or not, I am overall more comfy in ANY hammock with a knee pillow. In fact, I was just last night laying in my old HH, with a knee pillow, and wondering if it was possible to get any more comfy? But, maybe that is just me. I guess folk's MMV. Always worth a try, though!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123