Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I did Red's mod as well, can't say it was very effective for me. Funny thing is that I still have the short spreader bar I used, and look at it every day, it is laying on my morning coffee on the porch table.
    I appreciate the input. I think I am going to give it a try. Likely will run the pole through the gathered end though. the hammock I am trying this one will easily fit one through and allow me to run a rope through it, thinking it may cause the entire hammock to lay flatter since it would not have as much give as the amsteel.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I played around with different mini spreader bars a couple of years back, and in my opinion, *if* you can keep the spreader bars from turning and the hammock fabric from bunching up in one place, what they do is simulate a longer hammock. If you find that a longer hammock helps you with the calf ridge, try it out. However, I found that the only thing that really gets rid of calf ridges is a hammock fabric with less stretch. Everything else has just been work-arounds (which is not a bad thing, necessarily).

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I played around with different mini spreader bars a couple of years back, and in my opinion, *if* you can keep the spreader bars from turning and the hammock fabric from bunching up in one place, what they do is simulate a longer hammock. If you find that a longer hammock helps you with the calf ridge, try it out. However, I found that the only thing that really gets rid of calf ridges is a hammock fabric with less stretch. Everything else has just been work-arounds (which is not a bad thing, necessarily).
    That is good to know as I am looking to invest in a longer hammock. What material have you had success with to help with the calf ridge?

I am currently looking at the Chameleon with the 1.6 Hexon, would you suggest anything different? Going to reach out to Dutchware before I place the order, but I am about 5'10" 200 lbs.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If you want to get rid of the calf ridge completely, you would need to use a very "hard" fabric, which has its own set of problems. The lightest fabric with the least calf ridge I have used was the 1.4oz PolyD that Dutch used to sell. But since this was 100% polyester, it didn't have as nice a touch as pretty much all nylon fabrics I have used. Also, it did produce a lot of static electricity. But the biggest con was that it was only about 59" wide. With it having so little stretch and being slippery, my body kept sliding more towards a 90° position, and my head and feet were always on the edges. I think it might have made a great hammock if it had been 69" or wider.

I have tried the 1.6 polyester ripstop RbtR used to sell, but thought it was too hard. It was like lying on a street: no calf ridge, but no comfort either.

Another option are very heavy nylon fabrics (more than 70D), but while I find them very comfortable, they are too heavy to carry for me.

Personally, I'm OK with a compromise: I either use 70D fabrics as a single layer, or un-stretchy 20D/30D fabrics (e.g. 1.0 HyperD) double layer and use a knee pillow (= stuff sack with soft stuff that I'm not using while sleeping) for the remaining calf ridge.

I consider the 1.6 Hexon to be on the stretchier side of a 40D fabric, but overall I would say the stretch is medium. A wider hammock would give you more options to move to a better position (i.e. more perpendicular). Unless you're OK with a more inline lay. Both will move the calf ridge under less sensitive body parts.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Gathered end hammock with pole through the end.

Thought I would give an update on this.

I used 1/2 inch pvc pipe (5”) with 2 90s on each end. Then sawed some connectors down so they can slide completely over the 1/2 pipe and sawed a section out of the connector so the hammock can slide through, and it holds the hammock in place and does not slide from side to side on the pvc.

It is better and the calf ridge is not as noticeable, but still present. I think this is due to the hammock not being wide enough though. I can’t seem to stretch out enough without my feet popping out when I am in the right position. Even with the knotty mod.

Either way I am happy with it, and will keep using it, just need to figure out a knot I can slide down into the 90’s and that won’t move. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FastHamFreddy; 08-13-2018 at 09:41.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    If you want to get rid of the calf ridge completely, you would need to use a very "hard" fabric, which has its own set of problems. The lightest fabric with the least calf ridge I have used was the 1.4oz PolyD that Dutch used to sell. But since this was 100% polyester, it didn't have as nice a touch as pretty much all nylon fabrics I have used. Also, it did produce a lot of static electricity. But the biggest con was that it was only about 59" wide. With it having so little stretch and being slippery, my body kept sliding more towards a 90° position, and my head and feet were always on the edges. I think it might have made a great hammock if it had been 69" or wider.

I have tried the 1.6 polyester ripstop RbtR used to sell, but thought it was too hard. It was like lying on a street: no calf ridge, but no comfort either.

Another option are very heavy nylon fabrics (more than 70D), but while I find them very comfortable, they are too heavy to carry for me.

Personally, I'm OK with a compromise: I either use 70D fabrics as a single layer, or un-stretchy 20D/30D fabrics (e.g. 1.0 HyperD) double layer and use a knee pillow (= stuff sack with soft stuff that I'm not using while sleeping) for the remaining calf ridge.

I consider the 1.6 Hexon to be on the stretchier side of a 40D fabric, but overall I would say the stretch is medium. A wider hammock would give you more options to move to a better position (i.e. more perpendicular). Unless you're OK with a more inline lay. Both will move the calf ridge under less sensitive body parts.
    Thanks again! I think I do need a wider hammock, it seems I have almost eliminated it with this pvc pipe, but can’t stretch out without my feet popping out (even with a knotty mod).

Also thanks for the input on material, I have been reading everything I can find on the different ones and this is very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12