Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC-2
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap

Dutch hook on a Continuous Ridgeline - Splice or Larkshead?

I spliced up a CRL for my tarp a few months back. I patterned it after the one Dutch sells but using the Reflect-It offered on his site.

However, instead of splicing in the hook, I just created a locked eye and larksheaded the hook on. The reason I did it that way was to make any changes easy if I decided I wanted something other than the Dutch hook at the end of the CRL. After a few hangs using it, I don't foresee ever switching out the Dutch hook (awesome little piece of hardware).

The question is: Will the larkshead cause me any problems down the road (wear, reduction in strength, etc.)? Would it be worthwhile to go back and splice in the hook now that I know I'll most likely stick with it?

Thanks!

Sure, the Larkshead is a bit weaker and the extra bends could wear a bit faster but I don't think it will be an issue on a CRL. If that turns out to be the part of the CRL that wears out first, change it then.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Yes... either way.

I have a few CRL's and a few separate RL's all have Dutch Hooks... half have the hook spliced on and other half larkshead'd. Haven't had a problem with any. Truth told, I prefer the larks head. I always have at least one extra length of RL with locked eyes at each end... REALLY long dog bones if you will. Dutch Hook in one end is removable if I need/want to use that line for something else.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Yes... either way.

I have a few CRL's and a few separate RL's all have Dutch Hooks... half have the hook spliced on and other half larkshead'd. Haven't had a problem with any. Truth told, I prefer the larks head. I always have at least one extra length of RL with locked eyes at each end... REALLY long dog bones if you will. Dutch Hook in one end is removable if I need/want to use that line for something else.
    That’s an excellent point, Mike. I haven’t had to extend my CRL yet but the larkshead would allow me to do so and still move the hook out to the appropriate spot on a connected extension.

I’ll need to add a long dogbone to my list of splicing projects and keep that on hand. I’ll leave the hook larkshead’d on my CRL in case I do need that extra length. Thanks for pointing that out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The one big reason why I prefer to splice the Hook is that they get lost so dang fast. I don't even want to be tempted to take off the Dutch Hook in the field.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Although having a "really long dogbone" could be handy, when I played with a CRL I never finished the end and just attached the hook with an anchor hitch (https://www.animatedknots.com/anchor/). Never showed any wear for the year and a half I used it, until I gave up on the CRL idea and went back to Stingerz because I got tired having to untangle my CRL every time I wanted to set up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The one big reason why I prefer to splice the Hook is that they get lost so dang fast. I don't even want to be tempted to take off the Dutch Hook in the field.

Also a very valid point. Those hooks are wonderfully light-weight, strong, and well-thought-out in design but also quite tiny. I hope I never have the occasion to drop one into some brush or grass and need to find the tiny thing. That’s certainly a strong argument for permanently splicing the hook onto the CRL (or wherever else one might use a hook).

That being said, I usually put down a chunk of plastic or, more recently, Tyvek first thing when I decide on a hang spot so I can set my pack down on something clean. If I’m going to switch out a hook to add extension (or any other reason), I may be able to reduce the chance of losing the hardware by making any adjustments over the Tyvek. I don’t know if I have the discipline for that but after losing a hook or two, I just might get there

Last edited by DBurn; 08-10-2018 at 10:51.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12ft
    Insulation
    Klymit/HGIncubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Squatch View Post
    Although having a "really long dogbone" could be handy, when I played with a CRL I never finished the end and just attached the hook with an anchor hitch (https://www.animatedknots.com/anchor/). Never showed any wear for the year and a half I used it, until I gave up on the CRL idea and went back to Stingerz because I got tired having to untangle my CRL every time I wanted to set up.
    Thanks for the input, Grumpy. I haven’t tried the split ridge-line as I have loved my CRL. I do use an HG mesh tarp sleeve which contains and keeps my tarp and CRL mostly mess-free. That makes a big difference in my experience to date. If I hadn’t found and picked up the tarp sleeve, I may not have stuck with the CRL as I could see it making quite a mess without a pretty good management system or practice.

At some point, I may make up a set of split lines to see if that becomes my new go-to.

Out of curiosity, what does you preferred Stinger setup look like?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Don't think I ever photographed it. Nothing special at all - just use a set of Dutch's with Reflect-It. I have several tarps so I like having one stake pouch with everything I might need and then I can grab any tarp and go. I don't even attach my tie-out line to either stakes or tarps. I carry line and stakes seperate. So I just clip Stingerz onto whatever rings my tarp has.

You might be able to see a tiny bit of it in this pic (my hammock on the left). It rained for 2 days so we set up with both our tarps in porch mode to give us somewhere to cook and stay dry.

IMG_20180520_092717.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    So I should clarify... I don't think I have ever had to extend my CRL.. when I use it (rather than split RL's) I have 37'. No I know I have never had to extend it. In the NE, it's pretty rare to be in a situation where 37' can't span the trees. That CRL has the hook larksheaded on. Been using it like that for a few years.

On the other hand, I have quite often wanted to extend a guy line or a use a panel pull out. Most common would be going to porch mode to a third tree a distance away. That's where a long dog bone would be useful and why my split RLs are always in my suspension kit. Some have the hook spliced others not. All of my guy lines have a fixed eye in both ends. Easy enough to hook the Dutch Hook onto the eye.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast