Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Hello!

Hi! I'm new and ready to learn all there is to know concerning hammock camping. I am planning on hiking the AT in 2034. I have a small child I have to get raised before setting off as this is going to be a spiritual awakening for me, I'm sure! I haven't purchased a hammock yet. I have been researching hammocks and like the ruggedness of Claytor hammocks but am also leaning toward Hennessey. Until I hike the AT I will be doing backyard hangs(I live right in the middle of the Cherokee National Forest) and backcountry hanging so weight isn't a consideration just yet but I do want to be able to hand it down when I upgrade to my "trail" hammock. I was told Claytor hammocks aren't long enough. I am assuming for slack purposes, I'm not sure what that is about. I'm on the Facebook Hammock Forums and I have been reading your all's files and perusing Derek Hansen's website for suggestions and recommendations. Thank you all so much for having me and feel free to weigh in on any suggestions/recommendations that you all have. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Howdy from Mexico and welcome to HF
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Welcome Daysummer

I once lived in the Cherokee also-Turtletown,. You live in a great area to get in some weekend hangs in the woods. Snall child would love to grow up camping with Daddy.

Bob

Welcome Daysummer

I once lived in the Cherokee also-Turtletown,. You live in a great area to get in some weekend hangs in the woods. Snall child would love to grow up camping with Daddy.

Bob

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Hello!

Daysummer, you might want to watch Shug’s YouTube videos especially his ten part series
    How to hang a hammock, tarp, pads, underquilts

And or read Derek Hansen book The Ultimate Hang volume one and volume two?

And go to a local hammock hang listed in Hammock Forums. There you will get to see all sorts of hammocks, tarps and insulation.
    These group hangs are usually open to Kids with their Moms and or Dads.

Lots of hammockers are working parents and it’s tough to get out and hike the AT. But many of them will get on AT for 2 or 3 days at a time just for fun. 2034 is a long way off—-maybe you can have a birthday party for you kid every week until the kid is now “Old Enough” to join you on an overnight hammock adventure. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Daysummer, you might want to watch Shug’s YouTube videos especially his ten part series
    How to hang a hammock, tarp, pads, underquilts

And or read Derek Hansen book The Ultimate Hang volume one and volume two?

And go to a local hammock hang listed in Hammock Forums. There you will get to see all sorts of hammocks, tarps and insulation.
    These group hangs are usually open to Kids with their Moms and or Dads.

Lots of hammockers are working parents and it’s tough to get out and hike the AT. But many of them will get on AT for 2 or 3 days at a time just for fun. 2034 is a long way off—-maybe you can have a birthday party for you kid every week until the kid is now “Old Enough” to join you on an overnight hammock adventure. LOL
    Thanks! I love Shug's videos but haven't watched the ones you referred to. I will most deff watch them this weekend. Unfortunately, there aren't any group hangs in my area, that I know of and I am 15 minutes from the AT so, go figure. We are slow to the race, apparently. I think an overnight hang birthday party is a great idea! Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Biker Bob View Post
    Welcome Daysummer

Bob
    I love living here! It is super quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    Howdy from Mexico and welcome to HF
    From Mexico! That is great! I would love to visit Mexico one day!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The Grayson Highlands Fall Festival would be a perfect time to try out and learn about a number of different hammocks with their pros & cons.
    That is my favorite hang... lots to see & do.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...val-Sept-28-30
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    The Grayson Highlands Fall Festival would be a perfect time to try out and learn about a number of different hammocks with their pros & cons.
    That is my favorite hang... lots to see & do.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...val-Sept-28-30
    I am going to try and go if I can get everything together in time!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast