Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thx for the advice! I have a question about the insulated mat- is there a way to extend the temperature rating if you want to go below 20 degrees? (F). How cold will the standard mat go?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Images
    Standard pad has R value of 3, or approx 25° F.
    Winterlight has R value of 5, or approx 0° F.
    Ultralight has R value of 3.5, or approx 20° F.

Easiest way to increase it would be to stack another pad, maybe CCF, on top of the existing pad (in the hammock, not in the pad sleeve). For example, one could add a Thermarest ZLite Sol or Nemo Switchback, each of which has R value around 2. That might extend the rating by 20° or so. You could also add another inflatable pad, of any baffle configuration, as long as you have a pad with "longitudinal" baffles like the Fjol in the pad sleeve to give the Draumr its support.

But people are different, and the way R value is tested is not having one side of the pad suspended in midair, so your experience may vary from these bits of empirical data.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-17-2023 at 18:09.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Ultralight has R value of 3.5, or approx 20° F.
    ... your experience may vary from these bits of empirical data.
    I have taken my Draumr UL down to 28 degrees with the UL pad, and my butt was cold AF. My TQ was a 20-degree Western Mountaineering and it was able to handle the temps. So you're right, my experience varied.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    I have taken my Draumr UL down to 28 degrees with the UL pad, and my butt was cold AF. My TQ was a 20-degree Western Mountaineering and it was able to handle the temps. So you're right, my experience varied.
    The UL is the pad out of the 3 that I don't own. I was only quoting Amok's specs, of course, not making my own claims.... but your experience is worth noting! I have had the R3 pad down to 25° and only slightly chilled. I recall writing a long time ago (probably way back in this thread), that I didn't think I would be able to take it much lower than 25° and stay comfortable without supplementing the insulation. And I've used the R5 pad (on the ground though, and with a sheet of 1/8" EVA foam underneath) at maybe a few degrees above 0° and I was ok. If I were to have just 1 pad for the Draumr, I'd probably pick the Winterlight, as it's lighter and certainly warmer than the regular Fjol. I used it last weekend at about 50° and wasn't overly warm at all. Very comfortable. I don't have the UL version of the Draumr, so no experience with the UL pad either. Per the ratings currently published, it should be a bit warmer than the regular, but your experience makes me wonder about that. I also wonder if the meshy material of the UL hammock is allowing any significant increase in convective coooling of the pad from below - i.e. would the non-UL hammock sleep warmer, all else being equal?

On their FAQ page for sleeping pads (not sure how up to date this is), they do imply they haven't yet adopted the ASTM F3340-18 testing method that most other pad manufacturers changed to in 2020 or so, and that they may update their ratings accordingly after doing so.
    https://amokequipment.com/a/faq#Sleepingpads

"The R-value is based on tests done at our factory and a comparison to similar pads made with the same materials and insulation. We will convert our ratings to the new industry standard during the year, which will give us more exact numbers."
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-18-2023 at 11:42.

• + New Posts
  • Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920