Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL
    During my seach of a TQ I thought to myself ''I'd love it if my Draumr had attachment points for a TQ'' like many other ground pads and TQ's have these days. Does anyone know if this is something that has been talked about before, or if it would even work in a hammock?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    its not something I've heard wished for in an amok before...

for what purpose? I cant imagine being able to get in or out if it was somehow attached...

Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    its not something I've heard wished for in an amok before...

for what purpose? I cant imagine being able to get in or out if it was somehow attached...
    I'd say first and foremost to keep active sleepers center on the pad to avoid cold spots along the edge, I also like the idea of not having to readjust the quilt every time you twist and turn. A solution to your suggested problem would be to only attach the bottom clip(s) first and then do the other ones after you've gotten in the hammock.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by fjneeb View Post
    I'd say first and foremost to keep active sleepers center on the pad to avoid cold spots along the edge, I also like the idea of not having to readjust the quilt every time you twist and turn. A solution to your suggested problem would be to only attach the bottom clip(s) first and then do the other ones after you've gotten in the hammock.
    It's not something that will work, generally with the Amok. it's just not made to handle something like that. If you have issues with cold spots along the edge, just drape a blanket or something along the inside and secure it somehow to hold it in place. The Amok works like a charm when using a sleeping bag. If you watch the guys from Amok, they use bags, not top quilts primarily. I switched to a bag, no more issues - and I've got so many nights in one it would blow your mind!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL
    Quote Originally Posted by AZsteelman View Post
    It's not something that will work, generally with the Amok. it's just not made to handle something like that. If you have issues with cold spots along the edge, just drape a blanket or something along the inside and secure it somehow to hold it in place. The Amok works like a charm when using a sleeping bag. If you watch the guys from Amok, they use bags, not top quilts primarily. I switched to a bag, no more issues - and I've got so many nights in one it would blow your mind!
    Maybe it's just me overthinking things, hah. I primarily got the Draumr because I wanted the sleeping experience to be as close to the one I have at home in bed, as I have a hard time sleeping in anything that's even remotely uncomfortable, but there'll obviously have to be compromises when you're out in the woods. I really wish I could stand using a sleeping bag more than I do, but I find it to be too restrictive for my own taste. Regarding the attachment points though, all that would be needed really are a few small loops along the stitching of the pad pocket which is already very solid, and would only add minimal weight to the overall system - but then again I'm no academic and it's very possible that it's easier said than done.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I just dont understand how a sleeping bag is restrictive, but tying a top quilt down isn't

Hammock
    Amok Draumr UL
    Tarp
    Skjold 10 UL
    Insulation
    Fjøl UL
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    I just dont understand how a sleeping bag is restrictive, but tying a top quilt down isn't
    A sleeping bag restricts the freedom of movement of your arms and legs and doesn't necessarily follow your entire body when you twist and turn in your sleep. This means that my sleeping bag usually ends up getting twisted during the night, and it's been an annoyance for me who's a very sensitive and active sleeper. I also feel claustrophobic whenever I use a sleeping bag because how constrictive it feels, as I'm a lot more comfortable sleeping with my arms and legs wide.

With a fixed quilt you'd have the benefit of having much more freedom of movement for each arm and leg separately (the entire sleeping pad's worth), and the attached quilt would more likely keep you from slipping your feet etc. outside the edge of the pad in your sleep. It would be just like using a duvet at home, except that it'd stay put and be confined to the size of the sleeping pad.

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Quote Originally Posted by fjneeb View Post
    Maybe it's just me overthinking things, hah. I primarily got the Draumr because I wanted the sleeping experience to be as close to the one I have at home in bed, as I have a hard time sleeping in anything that's even remotely uncomfortable, but there'll obviously have to be compromises when you're out in the woods. I really wish I could stand using a sleeping bag more than I do, but I find it to be too restrictive for my own taste. Regarding the attachment points though, all that would be needed really are a few small loops along the stitching of the pad pocket which is already very solid, and would only add minimal weight to the overall system - but then again I'm no academic and it's very possible that it's easier said than done.
    Regarding the restrictiveness of a sleeping bag, if you aren't using a rectangular bag rather than a mummy bag, that will likely help. Frankly, given your concerns, unless space/weight is a real issue (i.e. you're back or bike packing), I'd suggest using a modest "camp blanket", like Kammock sells, under you to address the edge issues, and then a good twin or full size blanket on top.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    like, i'm sure you could probably sew something onto the side webbing, a simple loop even, that you could toggle your quilt to

you could probably even rig it without having to poke a needle thru anything....

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by AZsteelman View Post
    I hadn’t considered the sleeping bag route in the Draumr. What sleeping bag are you using? I feel like I’ve been a bit spoiled by cottage vendor quilts, not sure where I’d start to look again at sleeping bags.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast