Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by sloanie View Post
    I hadn’t considered the sleeping bag route in the Draumr. What sleeping bag are you using? I feel like I’ve been a bit spoiled by cottage vendor quilts, not sure where I’d start to look again at sleeping bags.
    I have a Nemo 15 degree. Works like a charm

I'm looking for some feedback on how "warm" or "cold" the Draumr sleeps, compared to a gathered end hammock with similar underquilt/underpad temperature ratings. In general I've felt warmer in my gathered end than on a pad (with the pad on the ground). I'm a cold sleeper and need all the warmth I can get, and am worried that the Draumr might feel too cold, even with the new winter Fjol pad from Amok.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Amok Borg
    Insulation
    Amok Fjol XL
    Suspension
    Amok's Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBonBon View Post
    I'm looking for some feedback on how "warm" or "cold" the Draumr sleeps, compared to a gathered end hammock with similar underquilt/underpad temperature ratings. In general I've felt warmer in my gathered end than on a pad (with the pad on the ground). I'm a cold sleeper and need all the warmth I can get, and am worried that the Draumr might feel too cold, even with the new winter Fjol pad from Amok.
    Think of it like tent camping because you're laying flat like on the ground or in a cot. The pad just insulates the bottom. Need to make sure your sides are adequately covered. This is unlike a gathered-end because the UQ wraps around you and insulates the sides so if the top quilt shifts a bit, the UQ still has you covered. UQ's are much wider than mattress pads. Top quilts may or may not wrap around you enough. If it's cold, you'd want a TQ that wraps around your shoulders and snaps behind you neck. Or just use a bag as previously mentioned.

I got caught in an unexpected 28 degree (f) night at the manic-5 overlook in quebec on a motorcycle trip and woke up cold from side exposure. Had my army woobie though so layed that flat and bunched it up on the sides after getting in and that took care of it.

Haven't camped in the cold since that trip but I should try out my system bag (w/o a pad in it) in the draumr, That might work better than my top quilt. Hmm!

In my opinion your concern is valid. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison to a gathered end in this regard.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I was cold from the sides on a 25 deg night. Definitely need more side coverage from my top quilt in the Amok. The winter light pad was good, but I was nowhere near the comfort rating, so it was expected. Side sleeping was not possible with a regular width top quilt.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by No-sage View Post
    I was cold from the sides on a 25 deg night. Definitely need more side coverage from my top quilt in the Amok. The winter light pad was good, but I was nowhere near the comfort rating, so it was expected. Side sleeping was not possible with a regular width top quilt.
    I slip a couple of small pieces of close cell foam under the straps by by arms/shoulders. works well.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I found the draumr to be colder than the xlc when I tested them on back to back nights. I think it was largely because the tarp configuration with the amok allowed more side-wind to get through than the xlc (was using warbonnet's giant tarp).

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I'm looking for some feedback on how "warm" or "cold" the Draumr sleeps, compared to a gathered end hammock with similar underquilt/underpad temperature ratings.
    this is one of those super subjective things that's hard to measure, but...

I personally find the exped synmat9 very warm, and I'd be comfortable using it to -20c no problems

as others have said, like any pad, the issue can be if your arms are hanging OFF the pad, you can find cold spots. you can't quite tuck in as securely as gathered end

when I KNOW it's going to be that cold, I've always just taken an extra wool quilt, that's kind of torso length, and put it across the top half of the draumr, extending out into the "wings"

then when I lay on that, if I do manage to migrate arms/shoulders off the pad, I'm at least on the wool blanket, and things are fine

I tend to stack quilts for winter, I don't have dedicated super cold gear (I sleep nuclear warm) so this solution works pretty well for me

if it's above -15c, I don't bother with it, as I find the pad good enough

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    My son is convinced it doesn't need further insulation, but I disagree. Has anyone tried to cut CCF to fit between the hammock layers on the sides so that your arms don't get cold? Something like the sleeping pad wings they used to make a while back, but shaped for the Draumr?
    draumr.jpg
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    My son is convinced it doesn't need further insulation, but I disagree. Has anyone tried to cut CCF to fit between the hammock layers on the sides so that your arms don't get cold? Something like the sleeping pad wings they used to make a while back, but shaped for the Draumr?
    draumr.jpg
    I do that with mine. 2 thin CCF pieces and just slide them under the inner strap supports. Works well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    Quote Originally Posted by fjneeb View Post
    During my seach of a TQ I thought to myself ''I'd love it if my Draumr had attachment points for a TQ'' like many other ground pads and TQ's have these days. Does anyone know if this is something that has been talked about before, or if it would even work in a hammock?
    You can use these that attach to the quilt and have a side that attaches to the mattress /hammock and snaps together up when you want. My older T-Rest quilt has the snaps already installed and just needed the mating snap to be installed on the mattress of choice.

https://www.sosgear.ca/products/ther...light-snap-kit

https://www.outdoorlife.com.sg/therm...-snap-kit.html
    Last edited by Danalex; 05-23-2022 at 09:21.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast