Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    JRBNest, LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    I took my AMOK XL for another test this past weekend after a complete washout two weeks ago.

I went to one of my favorite campsites in NE Georgia, just off the AT on the edge of a 3,800 foot cliff.

It has a nice camping area just behind the cliff. There I set up the AMOK.

AMOK1.jpg

This was my view looking out from behind the AMOK. That PEX pipe on the backend works perfectly. I don't use anything on the foot end.

amok.jpg

It was a clear night with 50 degree temperatures so I didn't set up the tarp but I did put it beneath the hammock just in case. It was lucky I did.

CAMPSITE.jpg

I got a nice fire rolling as there are several blow downs from last winter's ice storms. The weather could not have been more perfect.

VIEW.jpg

I did practice getting in and out of the AMOK and found its get much easier. With the bug net on, I unzip the left side and climb in keeping the zipper above the foot box. I found if the zipper goes down to the foot box, it is very hard to zip up without tumbling forward.

It started raining about 4 am so I quickly deployed the tarp. It literally took about 2 minutes to get it up and me covered.

As for the AMOK, I am raising by rating from a 7 1/2 to an 8 because of the comfort. The entire set up is only two pounds more than my other hammocks so I will be using it often this summer. Besides, my summer pack weight is much lower than my winter pack so two extra pounds is really nothing.

I think the AMOK might have taken the lead as my most comfortable hammock beating the WB XLC, DH Sparrow and the SLD Trail Lair.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    The entire set up is only two pounds more than my other hammocks so I will be using it often this summer. Besides, my summer pack weight is much lower than my winter pack so two extra pounds is really nothing.

exactly! everyone reacts like it's a 12 lbs penalty to carry a draumr. don't get me wrong, if you're doing a thru hike, I'd much rather deal with an underquilt than a pad every night (yet the tent guys manage...... but i digress)

I am so much happier having something I can sit or sleep in, however I want. just having the ability to sleep in any position is such a luxury, that it's worth the extra weight

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Slept the last week or so in the standard length new style draumr. For anyone wondering it has all the same features as the XL, just shorter I guess. I had an old style one before and was excited about the XL, but these things are already clunky and the monstrous pad is just too **** monstrous, so figured I'd give the regular a try and glad I did. At 6'1", I don't need the bigger hammock. This one definitely has more room all round than the old style. If you're on the fence, I'd recommend the smaller one, even though I haven't seen the one built for giants.
    Super comfortable, and chair mode combined with Designated Survivor/Game of Thrones works quite well. And, beer mode goes without saying. I really don't need this hammock, so I'm still kinda on the fence whether I keep it or take advantage of the 60day return.
    i'm sticking by my comments on the 90 degree tarp above-went through some rain, and didn't get wet, but its tight under there. I might try the Borg tarp.

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Chair mode under the 90 degree tarp rocks. was just reading during a pretty good rain storm. Not a drop came in!

Yep. It's an expensive tarp, but the low weight, features, small pack size and impeccable build quality helps offset the pack size and weight of the draumr. I think I'm sold. Gotta decide before cutting the stuff sack off

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    that looks great.

I really like the look of that 90 degree tarp. I'm not willing to pay for cuben/dcf but I'm really tempted to get something with doors or something somewhat similar

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Amok Borg
    Insulation
    Amok Fjol XL
    Suspension
    Amok's Straps
    I have a question for those of you setting the Draumr up on the Tensa stand...

With a gathered end in the Tensa I just put my motorcycle jacket (heavy Klim textile) on the head end and never tethered.

Now that I've set up and tried my Draumr XL (the 3.0 just didn't work for me at 6'2") I find it unlikely I will ever go back to gathered ends so making sure I"m confortable with it in the Tensa stand is important!

I assume you are just fully tethering both ends of the stand making it ok to have your weight in the center?

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Rane-NH View Post

With a gathered end in the Tensa I just put my motorcycle jacket (heavy Klim textile) on the head end and never tethered.

Now that I've set up and tried my Draumr XL (the 3.0 just didn't work for me at 6'2") I find it unlikely I will ever go back to gathered ends so making sure I"m confortable with it in the Tensa stand is important!

I assume you are just fully tethering both ends of the stand making it ok to have your weight in the center?
    Yes! Be sure to tether both sides very securely and then forget its a Tensa. Just climb in. It is the perfect stand for the XL!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Rane-NH View Post

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Amok Borg
    Insulation
    Amok Fjol XL
    Suspension
    Amok's Straps
    Thanks so much AZSteelman! It was some of your pics and Shug's that made me wonder.

The fact that you said "forget it's a tensa" are kinda the words I needed to hear. Having taco's myself once when the tensa was new I basically burned it into my memory about keeping weight off-center. I've also popped a screw (ground wasn't firm, but wasn't completely soft, either). So I have come to prefer anchoring to objects like fence posts, trailers, etc.(when able) you know, stuff that my fat *** has no chance of overturning.

With BOTH sides being load-bearing with the Draumr, I'm going to have to get more comfortable with the screws so more backyard testing needed! But I guess it also means the weight is distributed so there will be less force on a single screw.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Amok Borg
    Insulation
    Amok Fjol XL
    Suspension
    Amok's Straps
    Ooh another question - what do you have in the "stick" spots to lift the head and foot ends? Every stick I've put in mine snaps or pops out so I've been meaning to look for something like what you have pictured.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast