Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'

2 Costco UQ better than 1?

I'm making an UQ from a Costco down throw. I am also a kite maker so sewing is not a problem. Since the throws come in a two-pack and I have several sleeping bags that I can use as top insulation, I was wondering if it made sense to use two underquilts when temperatures are dropping below the 50 degrees or so that one of the Costco UQs will handle.

I already have a OneTigres UQ that will take me to about 40 degrees. Would adding the Costco DIY UQ gain me anything? If one Costco UQ is good to 50 degrees, how low would two get me to?
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    People stack quilts all the time with success. I myself stack TQ's all the time and will be stacking 2 CDT UQ's when I use my Ridgerunner this winter. All of my CDT quilts are overstuffed, so i can't say what 2 regular ones stacked together would do, but I do know it depends on a lot of factors like if you sleep warm or cold, if it's windy, if you have food in your stomach etc. I've taken my overstuffed CDT UQ into the mid 30's and was fine, so I'd imagine 2 stacked together they would reach similar or slightly lower temps. The sewn through construction is the CDT's achilles heel, so if you can make them with the down tubes of one quilt vertical and the other horizontal, that will help to greatly mitigate cold air seepage through the seems, but faux baffles is even better. I believe Shug has a vid on stacking quilts that might help you out some as well. Good luck!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Two are always better than one but only you can determine how much lower you can go temperature wise. The sag and gap between the quilts are a couple of the determining factors to their temp efficiency.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    My recommendation would be to seam rip the horizontal stitching, leaving longitudinal channels. Look into sewing faux baffles. I know there is info here on the forums as well as YouTube. Faux baffles will eliminate the sewn-through construction of the blanket, providing you with more warmth. Lastly, instead of stacking both quilts, I would recommend harvesting the down from one and transfer it into the other. This will reduce the fiddle factor, and also be lighter in weight, and take up less pack space.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I can take my double down to 40, I don’t think it will go much lower, but I’m a cold sleeper. I’ve done no seem ripping on it either.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Mine is made of two seam ripped quilts that are snapped together. I have camped in Temps in the upper 30's this this. I think all I have to do is add a third quilt and it will be good down to 30. But I have not tried that yet.

My biggest problem so far is the clews bet tangled. If I do the clews again, I will cut the 12 pieces of shock cord, run one end through the ring, tie it off, and thus have 12 individual pieces of shock cord going from the ring to the quilt connections. I think this will keep the tangling to a minimum.

Good luck.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Thanks all. I will be finishing the first Costco UQ soon. I ran out of grosgrain and just picked some up. I just need to get more shock cord for the second one.

Now if only this heat wave will let up so I can use an UQ, I'll be able to test in my backyard. My next trip is at the end of the month so I've got a little time.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

I’ve been successful with using two snapped together.

The outer I leave sewn as is just folding the two sids over to create channels for the suspension. This is summer weight and good down to mid 50’s.

The inner part I remove the long seams creating side to side tubes. Pushing the down to one side I remove 16 inches the width and reseal. Snapping this inside of the first takes me down to low 30’s. With this combo I have not experience any cold spots from the sewnthru seams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str