Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/EE Revelatio
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Whoopie Slings Instead of Tree Straps

Anybody ever used whoopie slings around the trees, tied directly to the hammock? I'm looking to rig a fast setup hammock chair as simply as possible.

I'll be making the whoopies out of 7/64 Amsteel. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    7/64 Amsteel will cut into and damage the bark, which is why we use tree straps in the first place: to protect the trees. Using tree straps is a Leave No Trace principle.

https://lnt.org/blog/hammock-camping
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Please don't. We use tree straps to protect the trees from compressive forces that thin rope can cause damage to the tree. That, in turn, can cause land managers to ban the use of hammocks as they see all hammock users as bad. If you want to make it a little faster just use a carabiner from the tree strap to the whoopie sling. Takes seconds to set up and take down.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Aegismax 40* Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    Cordage directly to the tree has been done, but it damages the trees. Most any managed park will tell you to pad it, whether it's a tree strap or simple cardboard under the amsteel. AFIK you can't really go around the tree with the whoopie itself though as it is spliced in, so you would still need some sort of interface between the tree and the loop. I'm considering switching to web and buckle. I saw how quick my neighbors went up and got super jelly.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/EE Revelatio
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    7/64 Amsteel will cut into and damage the bark, which is why we use tree straps in the first place: to protect the trees. Using tree straps is a Leave No Trace principle.

https://lnt.org/blog/hammock-camping

Was thinking of threading a section of "padding material" near the fixed loop end of the whoopie sling so that I could feed the floating loop though the fixed loop, and have the "pad" there to protect the tree.... then adjust the loop to the desired length and use a carabiner to clip on to my seat. Just trying to minimize parts & pieces.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Btdkd View Post
    Was thinking of threading a section of "padding material" near the fixed loop end of the whoopie sling so that I could feed the floating loop though the fixed loop, and have the "pad" there to protect the tree.... then adjust the loop to the desired length and use a carabiner to clip on to my seat. Just trying to minimize parts & pieces.

Thoughts?
    A "pad" as in a sleeve of some sort won't spread the force much if at all. Some have used a collection of sticks placed perpendicular to the rope around the tree to keep the rope from girdling the tree. This sounds like a lot more work than tree strap. To simplify, why not ditch the whoopie sling and use a strap to buckle suspension.

How about a strap of choice with a grappler hitch at one end to go around the tree- and becket hitch the strap to the CL on the seat/ sling. No hardware needed and the tree is happy. done.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Looking at your other gear, I can't imagine you're a gram weenie. And if you're adding a hammock chair in the first place, you're definitely not a gram weenie! Besides, you're talking about saving very few grams/ounces by skipping the straps.

You could get 3.3 Kevlar 6' straps at 43.5 grams (1.53 ounces) per pair from Dutchware.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/30...traps-huggers/

Is 1.53 ounces really going to make a difference, when you're toting around a Blackbird XLC and a Superfly? I'd use straps, and forget about going gram weenie on the suspension of your hammock chair.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/EE Revelatio
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Is 1.53 ounces really going to make a difference, when you're toting around a Blackbird XLC and a Superfly? I'd use straps, and forget about going gram weenie on the suspension of your hammock chair.
    Honestly, I’m so new to all of this, I don’t know if I’m a gram weenie or not. I just know I’m gonna try to lug all this stuff for 80 miles in October... and, I also know I’m 60 and I’ve got to be able to get comfortable. Getting comfortable, to me, means having a comfortable place to rest. I ALMOST ordered the Blackbird single.... but, I was afraid it’d tear it up if someone happened to sit next to me (I weigh 240 and, well, add another butt and I’d need that 400 lb rating).

That lil Treklight seat gizmo is really comforble and light. I’m trying to make it as easy and quick to set up as possible. May even use it to take a dump in the woods... cause, that’s gonna be a problem for this old man too! :-)

But, yeah... I’m trying to cut ounces everywhere I can so I can carry luxury stuff like this little chair. But, on this, I’ll probably just use tree straps.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Btdkd View Post
    Honestly, I’m so new to all of this, I don’t know if I’m a gram weenie or not. I just know I’m gonna try to lug all this stuff for 80 miles in October... and, I also know I’m 60 and I’ve got to be able to get comfortable. Getting comfortable, to me, means having a comfortable place to rest. I ALMOST ordered the Blackbird single.... but, I was afraid it’d tear it up if someone happened to sit next to me (I weigh 240 and, well, add another butt and I’d need that 400 lb rating).

That lil Treklight seat gizmo is really comforble and light. I’m trying to make it as easy and quick to set up as possible. May even use it to take a dump in the woods... cause, that’s gonna be a problem for this old man too! :-)

But, yeah... I’m trying to cut ounces everywhere I can so I can carry luxury stuff like this little chair. But, on this, I’ll probably just use tree straps.

Please... don't let weight be the reason you choose to skip using tree straps. Whether you choose poly, kevlar, dyneema or some other material, you won't take a serious weight penalty. In fact, if you reverse your thinking a bit, you might actually save some weight... ditch the whoopie slings and go with just a light weight strap (my choice is Kevlar, but dyneema from any of our preferred vendors would work just fine) and use a becket hitch or j-bend to attach directly to your hammocks continuous loops. I'll bet both you and the tree are happier with this setup..

Plenty of posts on this kind of setup.. just browse around!!
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast