Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Photos or Video?

Which do you prefer?
    I have noticed that I get less feedback from a post with just a video than one with multiple photos.
    I'm guessing folk just don't have time to commit to a 3 minute video?

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I'm a photo guy. It's not about spending the time watching a video, but rather opportunity.
    I work with large volumes of data at work, so while things are processing I have a minute or two to browse the forum on a separate monitor. Plus most videos are blocked on our network.
    Browsing the forums on my mobile are typically in situations where I don't want the noise from watching a video.
    I'll happily read long explanations and corresponding photos because I can simply bounce back and forth between them and another task.
    Ultimately I have to be super interested to actually plan time to watch a video. In these cases I'll bookmark and watch on the home desktop when the wife and kids are in bed.

So I guess some of it is time after reading my post...

I know a lot of work is put into both, so I do always appreciate what you share here.

So many variables that it's tough to say.

Sometimes it's dependent on the platform I'm using to access the forums: desktop PC, tablet or phone. I'm more likely to watch video on the desktop because of the screen and speakers. Also more likely to leave feedback because of the ease of typing on a real keyboard. Right now I'm one finger pecking on my tablet as I drink coffee prior to heading off to work. For me the smaller platforms like phone or tablet are all about consuming media, not so much interacting.

As far as photo versus video, it's easier to stop and study a well chosen photo than a video. Video is wonderful for technique. Photo is better for studying details of the results of that technique, especially if we're talking small details of construction. I'd hate to be limited to just one or the other.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

I've always geared my trip reports to include lots of photos and detailed trail information about the trip, trail conditions, camp sites, water sources etc. Yes, they are long winded, but I look at them as more of a resource for other travelers who may want to do the same trail. I'll also include a wrap up of links to resources plus my own opinions of what I did right or did wrong.

Sometimes I do video on a trip, but since it's part of what I do for a profession, I really just want a break from it. Short videos are always best and I'll ignore a 30 minute video from someone's overnight trip etc.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Depends on how much time I have. I skip the video if I'm in a rush and quickly browsing the forum.

Also some subjects need a video to thoroughly address an issue. For instance, I posted a video last week about a self adjusting under quilt suspension. I felt it needed the live action to show the movement of the system.

But, I keep my videos to less than 3 minutes long.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MAD777; 08-07-2018 at 05:31.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I like photos because it's quicker to view and I can't watch videos at work depending on the computer I am on.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I prefer pictures most of the time, also because people keep it more concise that way. I get impatient quickly when I have to watch a video and listen to all kinds filler stuff in order to get to the meat of it. Also, videos often have a pace that does not correspond to my own pace. To me, uninteresting parts are drawn out, while the interesting parts happen way too quickly to process properly. And I hate replaying sequences x times until I finally grasp it. Photos and descriptions allow for you to read them in any order at any pace. Also, as non-native English speaker, I often find it easier to understand what I'm reading than what I'm listening to.

Videos have their place, though. I watch them when I'm really interested in a specific topic and already have a lot of background information.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I like both but prefer videos. So much more information about an area can be gleaned from video.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Photo. I make it a practice not to follow video links.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I prefer photos, but it's weird because I like them posted into the post and not added as thumbnails. Especially in trip reports. Just adds to the story if I see pictures as I read and not have to click on a thumbnail that may or may not be in the order of the story. Hope that makes sense.

That being said, if a person makes a video and is as entertaining as Shug, I'm all in! That's the key to hiking or hammocking videos. Watching a trail for three minutes gets boring, so toss in some humor/scenery/camp pics/etc.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast