Chimera
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/straps

planing a possible trip thru the porcupine mountains

I am trying to gather info for a back county camp trip thru the porkies this year. I have heard that they are much stricter on camp sight6s this year but there reservation system is really confusing. They say you need to make reservations but most if not all sights I looked up were non reserve able. Any clarification would be sweet thanks.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    The back country sites are now reserve only. I'm not sure what you mean by the sites are non available to reserve, system works just fine for me:
    https://www.midnrreservations.com/Po...sStatePark?Map
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Chimera
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/straps
    on that sight when I try to reserve a sight they are all in yellow and non reserve able. weird.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Make sure on Step 1 you are setting your Reservation Type to "backcountry" not "campsite". Took me a minute to figure that out the first time I used it back in May.
    Once you're lost in twilight's blue, you don't find your way, the way finds you.

Hammock
    Chimera
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/straps
    whew that did it thanks for the pointers.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    No problem, have a great trip

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    my trip to the Porkies was a few years ago, so I can't help you with the new reservation system. I can comment on the trails: I was there in late May, before the bugs got too bad (I am sure that varies from year to year). Nice trails, but very muddy in some areas. I would love to go there in the fall. My favorite section was the Little Carp River trail. My understanding is that much of the Lake Superior trail is not particularly scenic (I only did the tiny piece between little and big carp trails). The mirror lake trail heading south from lake of the clouds was the biggest climb, but had some spectacular old-growth forests.

The new rules (i.e., must reserve a specific site) are a bit of a disappointment; I really liked the old way of "hike until you are tired, then make camp".

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
    The new rules (i.e., must reserve a specific site) are a bit of a disappointment; I really liked the old way of "hike until you are tired, then make camp".
    Yeah, it's a bit out of my way but doable. But more flaming hoops to jump thru sort of seal the casket for me. Way down at the bottom of my todo list now. I'll stick to the wilderness areas or federal land where I can just roam and camp. I'm under the man's thumb enough as it is everyday in life...I don't need any help from them when I'm out trying to relax.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    That's why I live on the edge of a million acres of national forest In one way yes it sucks, I'm old enough to remember the days of wander till your tired and bush camp or the odds of a campsite being open were still fairly good. Some of the adventure has been lost. However, the porkies have always been popular, it's a very unique place, a remnant of a forest that will never exist again. Combine with the surge in outdoor recreation interest particularly backpacking recently it was not so much as "the man" wanting control but saving the park from the impact of man. Random camping could just not continue within that small of a state park with that amount of traffic. I would still not knock it that far down on the to do list, again its a very beautiful and unique area. It does remove some of the experience / immersion of wilderness camping but it does also have the plus side of knowing that the impact will be contained.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    thank you for this info, the porkies are on my to-do for a trip soon. had no idea about this new reservation system.

• + New Posts