Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is your favorite quilt and why?

I am finally getting ready to replace my homemade PLUQ with a (hopefully) down one. However, there are tons of choices out there, and I'm having trouble figuring out which one I want to get. I know that there isn't "one best quilt", but I am looking for input. So, what is your favorite UQ & TQ, who makes it/them, and why is it your favorite?

Thanks for any responses!

(General information - I'm in Southern Missouri (in the Ozarks), mostly car camp with the Boy Scouts, but I'm trying to encourage them to backpack more often, so I need to lighten up my load so that I can keep up with them!)

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Warbonnet Yeti 20°F. It's the shortest UQ I have which makes it the lightest also.

I carry a Thermarest Z lite cut down to 6 sections instead of the Gossamer Gear pad that comes with the packs. The Z lite is used as a sit pad during breaks but also goes from my feet to butt and covers what the UQ misses. I have been much warmer since switching to the longer pad under my legs/feet. Plus I enjoy being able to lay down on the pad during breaks instead of just having a pad under my butt during lunch.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I like hammock gear stuff, but will say I've never owned any other quilts so I don't have anything to compare it with.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    I have owned a number of quilts by different vendors.

For quality, value, feature set, and performance, Loco Libre Gear is my preferred choice.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can't go wrong with any of the cottage vendors. They all make quality gear that you'll be happy with. That being said, I really like the stuff from Hammock Gear & Warbonnet. I've got a 40 degree set from Wilderness Logics and it looks like quality stuff, but I haven't had the chance to get out and use it yet.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Loco Libre gets my vote. George's work is stunning; and he uses more down in his quilts than the other vendors I've seen. I have no doubt that my 20° Habanero could get me down to 10° comfortably. I also like that I can get the exact dimensions I want with his ordering process.

Hammock Gear Incubator and Burrow here. They are the only quilts I own and don't feel the need to try others. I would feel confident buying from any of the vendors here as they all seem to make an amazing product. I have heard of most of them doing custom work, so if you're in the market for an odd size, don't count someone out just because it isn't listed on their website in a dropdown option on the order page. Deciding what quilt to choose is a great problem to have. Good luck!

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    For underquilts it goes to the Wooki because I hate shockcord on my quilts.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    As stated, any of the cottage vendors can make you a wonderful piece of gear that will last for years to come with a little common sense care on your part along the way. I prefer the premium fabrics over the economy ones because they breathe better so lofting of the down is quicker, and I believe if you needed to air dry a quilt it would be quicker as well. Having said that, I do own a economy quilt and like it, just have to give it more time to loft. The vendors all use quality down no matter the fill power, so unless weight (we are talking ounces) is important to you, don’t over think that element too much. I have been happy with down gear from Hammock Gear, Jacks R Better, Loco Libre, UGQ Outdoors, Warbonnet, and Wilderness Logics. Also throw Little Shop of Hammocks in the mix as James makes great gear as well, I’ve just never had one of his quilts (yet).
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    For the answer to the OP, my favorite is my CDT(Costco Down Throw) DIY quilt set.

I opened up every other row and put in faux baffles for my UQ. Both UQ and TQ are beautiful with the deep blue color. My favorites because they are the first down quilts and the UQ is a 7/8 quilt for me. Upgrades for packability and UQ size.

As far as the question for Vendor quilts, I don't own any but UGQ has come down to HangCon almost from the beginning and seeing their quilts are awesome. I've also seen a few Loco Libre and HammockGear quilts and you can't go wrong with any of them.

For Florida, 30* quilts will be fine for most of the Winter season and a slim Summer series 50* or 60* for most of the year. For the unexpected cold snaps, I can stack the UQ's and insert my Summer Quilt into my Down Quilt to hit the 20's.

My dream quilt set would be a 20* down quilt set with full length UQ and sewn footbox TQ and also a 60* down quilt set with partial UQ and sewn footbox TQ. Again, can be stacked/inserted for colder than 20* if needed.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast