Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Warbonnet Yeti 20°F. It's the shortest UQ I have which makes it the lightest also.

I carry a Thermarest Z lite cut down to 6 sections instead of the Gossamer Gear pad that comes with the packs. The Z lite is used as a sit pad during breaks but also goes from my feet to butt and covers what the UQ misses. I have been much warmer since switching to the longer pad under my legs/feet. Plus I enjoy being able to lay down on the pad during breaks instead of just having a pad under my butt during lunch.
    Do you use that Z lite as part of your pack suspension also?

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Do you use that Z lite as part of your pack suspension also?
    It fits in the backrest of the pack just like the pad that comes with the GG gorilla. I guess it helps keep the pack a little ridged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Hammock Gear Phincubator...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Traf View Post
    I am finally getting ready to replace my homemade PLUQ with a (hopefully) down one. However, there are tons of choices out there, and I'm having trouble figuring out which one I want to get. ...........................
    No doubt you are. There are simply too many(for an easy decision at least) great quilts. But the positive side of that is: it is hard to go wrong with any of the well known brands often discussed here, and even a few brands that are rarely discussed. As for me, it is very hard to pick out a favorite among the different brands and types that I have used over the years. Quite a few have done me right.

1: I will start with the newest which I have not yet been able to put to a good test, but which shows high promise, and which a few others have spoken highly of: SMR Inferno TQ/UQ (TQ 17.8 oz, UQ 20 oz for 30F, some have used them well below 30F no problem). These seem to have a lot of potential for approaching the draft proof fit and ease of set up that my old Speer Pea Pod had. Not quite, but probably closer than anything else. The UQ has 2 unique thingies that may prove helpful:
    A: END CAPs. This UQ tapers down on the ends to a point and a single connection cord, pretty much in the same shape as the hammock. As it tapers down to this point, there is a big puffy area(End Cap) on each end merging into a triangle that feels like it has a tiny bit down in it, but I'm not sure of that. Regardless, this seems to seal up around the bottom end of the hammock in a fashion that seems hopeful for avoiding drafts, pretty automatically if I adjust the tension so that the UQ is contacting my back. I don't know if this is actually any better at avoiding drafts from the ends(like my Pea Pod for sure was) but it seems to be, or at least easier to adjust for that benefit. Hard to explain, so here is a pic 1st on a Speer hammock and then on a Claytor. My head snuggles right down into that blue head end cap. Speer head end:
    Claytor foot end:

Claytor:
    B: There are adjustable elastics in the top side edges of the quilt that do a great job of snugging the UQ up against my sides. This also seems to have draft preventive possibilities, time will tell. Here is the UQ on a Claytor with some pack weight in the hammock, with a close view of the side fit, also you can see the green pillow in the head end cap:

Time will tell if this is actually any easier to avoid drafts between hammock and UQ compared to my more rectangular shaped UQs, and especially if it can approach the Speer Pea Pods draft resistance. That latter is a large challenge.

The SMR Inferno TQ has a built in hood and shoulder coverage that is just superb. It is essentially the equivalent of a mummy bag, but with the comfort of a quilt. (again, like a Pea Pod). During my beginning years as a hammock hanger, I had a real hard time staying warm using a sleeping bag as a TQ, due to draft issues around the neck especially if I moved in my sleep, and the loss of a thick sleeping bag hood. But that is not ever going to happen with this baby. I had many a cold night rescued by giving up and zipping into my mummy bag, which would often take me from too cold to sleep to toasty warm. Now admittedly, over the years I got a lot better at keeping a quilt draft free around my neck and shoulders, and a separate JRB hood greatly improved my success, and a dedicated quilt was easier to keep draft free around the neck than a mummy bag. So I'm not certain this will actually work any better than my JRB TQ + hood. But, it is possible to develop a draft around the neck with my other TQs, and it is really not possible with this rig. I am posting 2 pics, one from the front with the hood cinched closed a good bit(but will go further). It will open up wide or it is easy to even pull it down for no hood at all, but still has a great neck seal(NO draft possible) In the picture from the back, standing, my feet are not in the foot box, so it is pulled somewhat forward, and the back is capable of closing a good bit more than what you see. But, I think you can still see how there is not going to be any draft in the neck or shoulder area no matter how much you toss and turn. As far as I have been able to tell(and as others have confirmed) when I go to my side, I just twist it a bit from the neck down, not having much under me, and adequate back coverage is maintained.

So, this may become my new favorite for non bridge hammocks(TQ for all types of hammocks). But is it really a lot better, or any better, than the great stuff I have always used? For a draft proof neck and shoulder fit, I think at least a bit better than the best, and a lot better than some. The UQ seems very promising also, but I must test near or under the rating. It will be hard to actually beat my older gear!
    1: Speer Pea Pod, especially used with narrow Claytor hammock: Under 40 oz for both TQ and full length 20F rated UQ, by far the most draft fee approach I ever used. I was never cold at or a bit below the rated 20F temp on the bottom, never a problem. Top a bit trickier due to tendency for hammock sides to raise the TQ section up off of you, creating a gap and less warmth. But when filled by clothing or the lightest possible TQ, as warm or even much warmer than rated. Above all else, draft proof. I never had a negative surprise using this. I don't know if TTTG is still making them.
    2: JRB UQs ( MW3 or MW4) used on my JRB bridge hammocks: flawless warmth, top of head to heels. No gaps whn used on bridge hammocks Used below rated temps without a problem, appeared to be very draft resistant. Not much, really nothing, to adjust. Just clip into the loops or rings, perfect fit each and every time. JRB(or any brand) TQs also seemed to just work better, less draft prone, in these bridge hammocks, especially the deep original JRB bridge. Can't prove it, but seemed to. I also used these UQs on gathered hammocks with pretty good success, but took a bit more adjusting.
    3: WB Yeti- but original CS synthetic version. (no experience with down version, I'm sure it is great) My son used it successfully- with enough added CS for a total quilt weight probably about 18 oz, on his first ever hammock hang, on nights in the 20s and was plenty warm, and has never had an issue using since. I sometimes think these torso length UQs(with foot pads) are easier to use with less to go wrong or be adjusted wrong. Anyway, it has never let either him or me down.
    4: Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter(HHSS): I set my all time record in a slightly boosted version of this: 6F, toasty warm head to toe and could have def gone a good bit lower.( I consider basic system good into the 30s) It's huge advantage, if you have a Hennessy or some other hammock it will fit: wind and water proof is part of the system. That built in wind proofing is a big plus.
    5: AHE Apex Jarbidge and Ridge Creek(for WB bridge only): I have never really put my Jarbidge to the test, but I have read many a testimonial to the JB here, and I have high confidence in it, and it is a bargain(is it still on sale?)

I don't see how you can go wrong with any of those that you can find, and no doubt a few others that I have not tried. Just pick one and you will be good to go. There is really not that much difference, just some pros and cons for each one.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-06-2018 at 19:43.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    It fits in the backrest of the pack just like the pad that comes with the GG gorilla. I guess it helps keep the pack a little ridged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    OK, thanks, Nodust!

Hammock
    11' Dutchware Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG TQ/UQ 10*
    Suspension
    Dutchware Whoopies
    Another one for Loco Libre Gear especially with the chevron baffles...down stays where it's supposed to be without needing overstuff (something I have noticed to be an issue in straight baffles)

Thanks for all of your responses and suggestions! There were some companies that I hadn't even heard of. Too many choices - now to try to avoid "analysis paralysis".

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    No doubt you are. There are simply too many(for an easy decision at least) great quilts. But the positive side of that is: it is hard to go wrong with any of the well known brands often discussed here, and even a few brands that are rarely discussed. As for me, it is very hard to pick out a favorite among the different brands and types that I have used over the years. Quite a few have done me right.

1: I will start with the newest which I have not yet been able to put to a good test, but which shows high promise, and which a few others have spoken highly of: SMR Inferno TQ/UQ (TQ 17.8 oz, UQ 20 oz for 30F, some have used them well below 30F no problem). These seem to have a lot of potential for approaching the draft proof fit and ease of set up that my old Speer Pea Pod had. Not quite, but probably closer than anything else. The UQ has 2 unique thingies that may prove helpful:
    A: END CAPs. This UQ tapers down on the ends to a point and a single connection cord, pretty much in the same shape as the hammock. As it tapers down to this point, there is a big puffy area(End Cap) on each end merging into a triangle that feels like it has a tiny bit down in it, but I'm not sure of that. Regardless, this seems to seal up around the bottom end of the hammock in a fashion that seems hopeful for avoiding drafts, pretty automatically if I adjust the tension so that the UQ is contacting my back. I don't know if this is actually any better at avoiding drafts from the ends(like my Pea Pod for sure was) but it seems to be, or at least easier to adjust for that benefit. Hard to explain, so here is a pic 1st on a Speer hammock and then on a Claytor. My head snuggles right down into that blue head end cap. Speer head end:
    Claytor foot end:

Claytor:
    B: There are adjustable elastics in the top side edges of the quilt that do a great job of snugging the UQ up against my sides. This also seems to have draft preventive possibilities, time will tell. Here is the UQ on a Claytor with some pack weight in the hammock, with a close view of the side fit, also you can see the green pillow in the head end cap:

Time will tell if this is actually any easier to avoid drafts between hammock and UQ compared to my more rectangular shaped UQs, and especially if it can approach the Speer Pea Pods draft resistance. That latter is a large challenge.

The SMR Inferno TQ has a built in hood and shoulder coverage that is just superb. It is essentially the equivalent of a mummy bag, but with the comfort of a quilt. (again, like a Pea Pod). During my beginning years as a hammock hanger, I had a real hard time staying warm using a sleeping bag as a TQ, due to draft issues around the neck especially if I moved in my sleep, and the loss of a thick sleeping bag hood. But that is not ever going to happen with this baby. I had many a cold night rescued by giving up and zipping into my mummy bag, which would often take me from too cold to sleep to toasty warm. Now admittedly, over the years I got a lot better at keeping a quilt draft free around my neck and shoulders, and a separate JRB hood greatly improved my success, and a dedicated quilt was easier to keep draft free around the neck than a mummy bag. So I'm not certain this will actually work any better than my JRB TQ + hood. But, it is possible to develop a draft around the neck with my other TQs, and it is really not possible with this rig. I am posting 2 pics, one from the front with the hood cinched closed a good bit(but will go further). It will open up wide or it is easy to even pull it down for no hood at all, but still has a great neck seal(NO draft possible) In the picture from the back, standing, my feet are not in the foot box, so it is pulled somewhat forward, and the back is capable of closing a good bit more than what you see. But, I think you can still see how there is not going to be any draft in the neck or shoulder area no matter how much you toss and turn. As far as I have been able to tell(and as others have confirmed) when I go to my side, I just twist it a bit from the neck down, not having much under me, and adequate back coverage is maintained.

So, this may become my new favorite for non bridge hammocks(TQ for all types of hammocks). But is it really a lot better, or any better, than the great stuff I have always used? For a draft proof neck and shoulder fit, I think at least a bit better than the best, and a lot better than some. The UQ seems very promising also, but I must test near or under the rating. It will be hard to actually beat my older gear!
    1: Speer Pea Pod, especially used with narrow Claytor hammock: Under 40 oz for both TQ and full length 20F rated UQ, by far the most draft fee approach I ever used. I was never cold at or a bit below the rated 20F temp on the bottom, never a problem. Top a bit trickier due to tendency for hammock sides to raise the TQ section up off of you, creating a gap and less warmth. But when filled by clothing or the lightest possible TQ, as warm or even much warmer than rated. Above all else, draft proof. I never had a negative surprise using this. I don't know if TTTG is still making them.
    2: JRB UQs ( MW3 or MW4) used on my JRB bridge hammocks: flawless warmth, top of head to heels. No gaps whn used on bridge hammocks Used below rated temps without a problem, appeared to be very draft resistant. Not much, really nothing, to adjust. Just clip into the loops or rings, perfect fit each and every time. JRB(or any brand) TQs also seemed to just work better, less draft prone, in these bridge hammocks, especially the deep original JRB bridge. Can't prove it, but seemed to. I also used these UQs on gathered hammocks with pretty good success, but took a bit more adjusting.
    3: WB Yeti- but original CS synthetic version. (no experience with down version, I'm sure it is great) My son used it successfully- with enough added CS for a total quilt weight probably about 18 oz, on his first ever hammock hang, on nights in the 20s and was plenty warm, and has never had an issue using since. I sometimes think these torso length UQs(with foot pads) are easier to use with less to go wrong or be adjusted wrong. Anyway, it has never let either him or me down.
    4: Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter(HHSS): I set my all time record in a slightly boosted version of this: 6F, toasty warm head to toe and could have def gone a good bit lower.( I consider basic system good into the 30s) It's huge advantage, if you have a Hennessy or some other hammock it will fit: wind and water proof is part of the system. That built in wind proofing is a big plus.
    5: AHE Apex Jarbidge and Ridge Creek(for WB bridge only): I have never really put my Jarbidge to the test, but I have read many a testimonial to the JB here, and I have high confidence in it, and it is a bargain(is it still on sale?)

I don't see how you can go wrong with any of those that you can find, and no doubt a few others that I have not tried. Just pick one and you will be good to go. There is really not that much difference, just some pros and cons for each one.
    Nice review of the SMR inferno. When I saw their kickstarter I was very intrigued. Looked like a good design to my eye. I may have to try one out someday. Thx for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Traf View Post
    ...now to try to avoid "analysis paralysis".
    Unavoidable. That's what sales are for.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    My favorite is my Mt Washington 4 I traded my old Hudson River with Jack (AKA Peter Pan) for it after one of our hikes. It is the original prototype of the Mount Washington series of quilts in the old school bright green. I've had it for eight years and have used it down into the negative teens and as high as the 80s without over heating. It's not my lightest or made from the most cutting edge materials but it's my favorite.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123