Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan1840 View Post
    I have 3 winter havens (2) 12 footers and (1) 13 footer with internal pole mods. One of the 12 footers is two end poles and the other is all 3. The 13 footer is a 3 pole and is used for my wife and I when we double hang. They all work great lots of space and storm worthy. I like having the mid pole for snow support and shedding. I would recommend the 3 pole setup. You can always leave out the mid pole during non winter hanging.

I have to agree that porch mode with internal pole mods is the bomb. No sticks or trekking poles required.
    OK. I didn't need much more motivation, but this seals the deal. I'll be getting a 12', 3-pole WH in the near future.

One more thing...am I OK leaving the side pullouts off to save $$? With the poles, I don't think I will ever use them. This will be a winter-only tarp when pulking, so weight/bulk of poles is no issue.

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    OK. I didn't need much more motivation, but this seals the deal. I'll be getting a 12', 3-pole WH in the near future.

One more thing...am I OK leaving the side pullouts off to save $$? With the poles, I don't think I will ever use them. This will be a winter-only tarp when pulking, so weight/bulk of poles is no issue.
    I never use the pull-outs any more. Well, actually I might if/when I want to hold the doors back on one end only for some reason. But I probably wouldn't really miss them. Look at them as potential leeks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

I think tarps look nicer without panel pulls IMHO. And if you go lightweight and leave the poles at home, if you get the cat cuts, it will still be plenty tight without them, so flapping won’t be an issue.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    My last 3 pole 12 footer was made without the pullouts. I do prefer the internal poles over the external.

You're goin to love it. Enjoy

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

I added one side pull out per side of my tarps... They get used so rarely, I have to think I could have skipped it. I added them specifically for use when I can't use the pole, which is when using a single line suspension. The pole just flattens the tarp out too much with the SLS. I figured a side pullout would help in this situation. Time will tell.

I know you have other tarps, so for this new WH, where you will likely use the pole regularly, skip the side pull outs.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    How do you guys find the extra wide tarps for use in summer? I like to have a bit of a view and breeze under the tarp, so is this still possible with the wider fabric (is it just a matter of setting it up higher)? I'm debating between the wide version and standard...

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    I prefer the XL or xtra wide for winter and rain. With the internal mod and the awesome porch mode that it allows on one or both sides, ventilation is not an issue.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I took my SLD winter haven out last weekend. The 3 pole kit is amazing, but how do you know how tight to stake it out? This goes for any internal pole setup.

Do you go for a wider, less tension setup? Or crank it tight with stakes closer to center for more of a parabola shape? Or just whatever feels right?

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    The wife and I use the end pole mods on our UGQ Hanger 12 tarps and don't feel a need for a third center pole. We use a Grizz Beak when needed for doors. When we upgrade to a dedicated four season tarp it will be winter havens and three poles.
    20181216_115608 (Small).jpg
    20181216_115552 (Small).jpg
    20181216_114526 (Small).jpg
    20181020-135910-Small.jpg
    20181020_140004 (Medium).jpg
    Last edited by Grey Mouse; 01-04-2019 at 23:28.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I like big tarps. That could be because my introduction was a Hennessy Expedition with that tiny Asymmetrical tarp - enough to keep the hammock dry but that was about it. For general camping I go with 12 ft (and 13 for the Ridge Runner) But during the summer - if I'm mostly sure it is not going to rain - and definitely not going to "storm". I use Dutch's asymmetrical tape because there is so much flexibility in rigging it. I am completely confident it will keep the hammock dry. I like bigger tarps to keep some area around the hammock dry. Although people tend to think of a tarp in terms of rain, two other considerations are 1) Birds in the sky 2) Big moon at night shining right in the eyes. And for some folk, there's a privacy factor.

Though we are taught to watch for overhead dead branches, in winter perfectly healthy trees can have branches loaded with snow. Just say'n.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast