Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    How bad was the sag when you just used the two end poles?

Thanks for the pic and the vid that helps a lot!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    Nice and spacious! I'm considering a 12x12 winter haven exclusively for winter camping. I didn't pull the trigger yet, but decided to go with 3 poles when I do. I also plan on choosing the snaps option. Basically what you're showing here...a 98% windproof, bombproof home away from home.

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Nice and spacious! I'm considering a 12x12 winter haven exclusively for winter camping. I didn't pull the trigger yet, but decided to go with 3 poles when I do. I also plan on choosing the snaps option. Basically what you're showing here...a 98% windproof, bombproof home away from home.
    I am in the same spot - going to get a dedicated big (12-13') winter tarp for nasty weather and snow camping here in the PNW. I was leaning towards the double pole mod but this has me reconsidering. I want it to be able to shed wet snow as well as possible. For those that know, re: snow load, is 3 that much better than 2?

Also, how do you handle door management with the snaps when the doors are not closed? My SF has shock cord and S-biners on it and it easily clips back to the door on the opposite end keeping everything nice and taught and secure.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    Also, how do you handle door management with the snaps when the doors are not closed? My SF has shock cord and S-biners on it and it easily clips back to the door on the opposite end keeping everything nice and taught and secure.
    I'm planning on doing the same as my SF. Looking in the SLD photo gallery, this seems to be fine.

Jared said I could order the 3 poles and send one back if I didn't need it, but for an extra $30 I'll probably just do it. Wouldn't be worth it to ship back anyway. That way I'll never ask myself "what if"

Hammock
    Hybrid 1.7 GE, Happy Medium Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Even with the head end opened by the spreader bar it's still comparatively wind proof. I can still snap the doors partially closed, but of course care must be taken regarding the swinging of the bar. When the bar is just outside the tarp, I don't worry so much.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    I am in the same spot - going to get a dedicated big (12-13') winter tarp for nasty weather and snow camping here in the PNW. I was leaning towards the double pole mod but this has me reconsidering. I want it to be able to shed wet snow as well as possible. For those that know, re: snow load, is 3 that much better than 2?

We've used it in late fall and January but have not been in any kind of snow. I would assume 3 would naturally be better than 1, but with the rounded shape it may shed snow just fine with only 2. Sorry, I just don't know.

I clip the doors to the other end as well, especially for porch mode. They have the usual grosgrain loops at the corners as well as mid door loops. The snaps are only used for closure. You have to resist the temptation to close it up too tightly, else condensation can become a problem, especially if using solo. This was a custom build for a HF member from Wisconsin as I recall. I bought it barely used.

BTW, it's made of Xenon 1.1 as is my DIY 12 x 10.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sqidmark View Post
    My wife and I double hang in an SLD Winterhaven 12x14 that I modified for 3 internal poles. It's only used for car camping during cooler months. However, I have to admit that it's also incredible in porch mode when it's warmer.

Originally I set it up with the two end poles. It sagged quite a bit in the middle so we both decided that the center pole would be a plus, but is not essential. Our DIY backpacking tarp (more or less a SF clone) uses two external poles, but I may just change that to a single internal some day.

Sorry, no porch mode photos yet.

Here's a vid. This shows velcro on the doors, which I learned to hate immediately. I replaced it with kam snaps.
    I've seen this ^^ in person and its a aircraft hanger!! Huge! That picture doesn't do it justice.

As far number of poles, I use a single under tarp pole on both of my 12' hex tarps... same pole I used on my Superfly and MamaJamba.. Can't really see needing more than a single..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One pole for me to minimize work. Sheds snow and has worked well.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    All of them! Ugh.
    Images
    I'm planning on doing the same as my SF. Looking in the SLD photo gallery, this seems to be fine.

Jared said I could order the 3 poles and send one back if I didn't need it, but for an extra $30 I'll probably just do it. Wouldn't be worth it to ship back anyway. That way I'll never ask myself "what if"
    This tarp came with 2 external poles. I made the 2 internal end poles out of 26" sections. The 2 external poles had enough, or nearly enough, 13" sections to make the 3rd pole, which I use for the center. I sewed on some additional grosgrain with 1/2" beastie dees at the side tie-out point reinforcements.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DW DP BB
    I have 3 winter havens (2) 12 footers and (1) 13 footer with internal pole mods. One of the 12 footers is two end poles and the other is all 3. The 13 footer is a 3 pole and is used for my wife and I when we double hang. They all work great lots of space and storm worthy. I like having the mid pole for snow support and shedding. I would recommend the 3 pole setup. You can always leave out the mid pole during non winter hanging.

I have to agree that porch mode with internal pole mods is the bomb. No sticks or trekking poles required.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast