Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various

Modding my DIY rig

Energetic Noob here. My rig:

DIY Hammock: 11.5' GE with milsurp ripstop nylon from Ebay.
    Suspension: modified "Phantom Grappler" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGToqEU2-U). No hardware.
    Insulation: Leiavoia's awesome Gemini UQ design; DIY TQ also from Costco down throws.
    Bug net: DIY Fronkey-style.
    Snakeskins: DIY one-piece curtain-sheer tubes with attached suspension pouches.
    Storebought tarp (Kelty Noah 12)

I'm pleased with the rig; it treated me well on its inaugural trip, four days backpacking in the West Canada Lakes Wilderness Area (Adirondack Park).

However, the suspension is just plain too long. I was having trouble finding trees spaced wide enough to keep me from scraping the ground.

I think the problem is in the multiplicity of connections. At each end, there's a CL in the channel, w/ no larks head (it links to the whoopies and the SRL with a soft shackle). The whoopie soft shackles to another CL (to prusik around the tree hugger, as detailed in the link above). Every connection adds length.

One obvious fix is to splice the second CL through the whoopie (as detailed in the video above. I tried to keep it flexible--and paid the price). I'll be doing this soon.

Here's my question: what's the downside to also replacing the CL in the channel with an improved soft shackle? (I have the CL "loose" [no larks head] because it seems to make the gathered ends more adjustable--and thus the hammock more comfortable).

Is there something to worry about in this application of the SS that doesn't apply when the SS is simply connecting the CL, the SRL, and the whoopie?

Thanks for reading my long post--and for your input!

I also use the phantom grappler suspension with DIY tree huggers/ straps and DIY UCR's. If the trees are too close I just use the webbing and make a beckett hitch. Thinking about using the "J" bend next time out. The secret to hanging is the options factor, and there are many- I'm learning. To answer your question- replacing the CL with a SS should work just fine but if you are inthe field and opening/ closing the SS at each campsite you want to be careful to not allow the SS to come out of the channel? Not quite sure what your intentions are for replacing the CL?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If the trees are too close I just use the webbing and make a beckett hitch. Thinking about using the "J" bend next time out.
    There's the answer, and I'd suggest going with this all the time. Go with shorter CLs and something like this:

simple_suspension_Bada-Bing_001_edited-1.jpg

If my tarp fits, my hammock fits. Done. IMVHO there are many suspension systems with way too many bits-n-bobs.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    There's the answer, and I'd suggest going with this all the time. Go with shorter CLs and something like this:

simple_suspension_Bada-Bing_001_edited-1.jpg

If my tarp fits, my hammock fits. Done. IMVHO there are many suspension systems with way too many bits-n-bobs.
    Cmoulder, your Bada-Bing suspension is classic with no bits-n-bobs. Fast, light, and it works great.
    When Dutch introduced ultra-light webbing, I stopped using Phantom Grappler suspension,
    but I still use Grapplers Hitch as tree fastener.
    Kokomo suspension became my next play toy.
    Now I’m tinkering with Kookaburra suspension combined with Kokomo.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Cmoulder, your Bada-Bing suspension is classic with no bits-n-bobs. Fast, light, and it works great.
    When Dutch introduced ultra-light webbing, I stopped using Phantom Grappler suspension,
    but I still use Grapplers Hitch as tree fastener.
    Kokomo suspension became my next play toy.
    Now I’m tinkering with Kookaburra suspension combined with Kokomo.
    lol, thanks and it means a lot coming from the Grappler! And yes, I realize I've merely given a 'pet name' to something that has been around a long time!

I think we're on the same wave length as far as trying to keep things as simple as possible. I'll have to look up the Kokomo, although I read the recent discussion about your no-knot Kookaburra (pronounced "cook" as our friend from Oz informed us )

I use the Evo loop sometimes which is very similar to your hitch. However, often times there is enough strap (especially with 12-15 footers) that I tie a slipped buntline hitch, which works even with 2" wide kevlar huggers, because it is lightning fast to do and cinches to the tree, so it stays put when unloaded.

simple_suspension_HUGGERS_003_SMALL.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 oz HyperD XL
    Insulation
    New River long
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You could replace one of your Whoopie slings with a strap. Replace the continuous loop at the hammock on each end with a button knot soft shackle. The Button knot soft shackle connects directly to your Whoopie or strap without an additional soft shackle. See video below.

https://youtu.be/FJMKifYRuKw

First, allow me to express admiration for your DIY ethic. That's an impressive gear list.

To your point about shortening suspension: besides the suggestions already given you could also just larks head the whoopie through the channel and do away with both loop and soft shackle. Disadvantage is the suspension must stay with the hammock even if it's wet, unless you're willing to undo the larks head every time.

The suggestion to becket hitch straps directly to the CLs is a good one too. I've been playing around with that a bit myself and like it.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I like total suspension to always stay connected to hammock. For me, it gives peace of mind, no searching through pack three times while sun is setting and storm clouds are brewing.
    A possible solution for packing wet or sappy straps is to bag hammock into double ended stuff sack. Wad or fold suspension into a sock on each end then leave it separate, but still attached. Or cram full sock into each respective end of stuff sack.
    And if you are DIY or have a talented friend or vendor—-sew a pouch patch on each end of stuff sack that is big enough too stuff suspension into outside patch pouch pocket. This is all doable with new ultralight straps that are also not bulky.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Wow. Y'all are awesome. Lots of great suggestions here, some of which I had to do some research just to figure out what you were saying . (I did say "noob," right?)

Great idea to just Beckett hitch to the tree hugger if space is tight. (I've been backpacking for decades, but hammocks are a new wrinkle, so things that should be obvious to me often aren't ).

I do love the idea of keeping the complete suspension attached all the time (I built suspension pouches into my snakeskins for this purpose). Thanks, Phantom Grappler, for putting that flea in my ear.

I also like keeping the gathered end loose on the loop, so it's good to see that swapping in my soft shackle in place of the CL isn't totally crazy. I wouldn't be opening the shackle in the field, I think, just using it to hold the whoopie, the SRL, and the gathered end all together in one bundle.

Thanks, all. And keep it coming: I'm learning a lot!

• + New Posts