Offset ridge line on tarps

Can anyone help me with the idea of making a tarp with joining the tarp by placing the ridgelines on the sides? I hope by this method of joining the tarp I can keep dry keeping the joint seam from being over the top of my hammock. Any help or experience with this method of construction would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

My understanding is you make 2 flat feld seams. This does away with the ridgeline seam. You will have TWO tarp length seams to seam seal now but you can add side pullouts at the same time and eliminate the pullout reinforcements- theres that.

Have you or anybody had any success with this method? Are there draw backs in this idea of construction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Haven't tried it, but the drawback I see is the ridgeline is now a single layer of fabric, so may be weaker (although leakproof). So you will need to take more care reinforcing the ridgeline tie-out points. I don't think it's a showstopper, just something to manage

Thanks for inputs so far. I have seen Scotty fantastic tarps from ultra light bespoke, however I get no reply to make a order. So here’s to trying to make one.

Last edited by ReallyBigMonkey; 08-05-2018 at 08:22.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigMonkey View Post
    Have you or anybody had any success with this method? Are there draw backs in this idea of construction

ReallyBigMonkey, eliminating seam at ridgeline might be a good idea. I think you still might want some sort of strap or grosgrain (spelling) sewn into ridgeline for strength to resist tearing,if you crank your tarp tight. Would the addition of sewn re-enforcement risk leaks?——I don’t know.

Are you one and the same ReallyBigMonkey that has made so many great bushcraft videos? I’m a big fan!!!
    After looking, I realize UK is a long way from Southern US (Alabama or near there)—-oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    ReallyBigMonkey, eliminating seam at ridgeline might be a good idea. I think you still might want some sort of strap or grosgrain (spelling) sewn into ridgeline for strength to resist tearing,if you crank your tarp tight. Would the addition of sewn re-enforcement risk leaks?——I don’t know.

Are you one and the same ReallyBigMonkey that has made so many great bushcraft videos? I’m a big fan!!!
    Thank you for your great input. I have 2 odd pieces of light membrane size 9ft, I might use a light membrane fabric to test it. If that holds then sill-nylon will have no problem. Sorry I wish was the same guy on utube he’s great, I’m a fan too.

• + New Posts