DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Maybe it's just me, but if I'm sitting on the ground, then it's not a "chair." A piece of fabric or foam under me doesn't make it a "chair."

Label me young enough to get down, but too old to get up! LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I have to agree with @ johnspenn and @Ohoopee. The style of chair they've mentioned I've always called a Jerry Chair. You can DIY one up really quick or you can buy them from various sources. Mountainsmith sells one for under $20 and Molly Mac Gear sells an insulated one that can also be used as an underquilt. I normally make mine from waterproof fabric and they come in way under an ounce. You need trekking poles to make them work, but I take them anyway. Good luck.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but if I'm sitting on the ground, then it's not a "chair." A piece of fabric or foam under me doesn't make it a "chair."

Label me young enough to get down, but too old to get up! LOL

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    And I would also say that if it doesn't have a backrest, then it's not a chair either. It's a stool. And if you want to carry a chair with a backrest, you're looking at an extra 1.5-2lbs of weight in your pack at a minimum. I guess we also have to ask ourselves if we're young enough to carry the added weight for long-distance hiking. I did mention earlier that you can use the Jerry chair design on a log or large rock to elevate it off the ground. Then just lengthen the trekking poles to reach the ground. Then you get a fully-elevated chair with a backrest for about 2oz.

Different strokes for different folks. But when I'm tired after a long day of hiking, I'd rather have something to rest my back against- even if it means having to sit mostly on the ground (or in my case, with a nice pad underneath), than to be elevated, but never fully able to relax because I'm on a stool.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rweb82; 09-02-2018 at 13:51.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Hammeck Envy-S, Amok,
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    CBs or whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
    I've thought about a hammock chair but like others said, I'd prefer a quicker set up for taking breaks and such. Unfortunately, I weigh 265 pounds and a lot of the backpacking chairs have a maximum weight rating of that or less. So I'm still shopping. I thought about the Litesmith chair but a friend here told me he had one and it's not very comfortable, and he weighs probably 100 pounds less than I do. So I can't imagine it would be comfy for a guy my size. Something similar to the Litesmith that looks like it might be more comfy is the Alite Meadow Rest. At almost two pounds, it's an option I guess. For some reason I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger yet. Think I'm still holding out for something more like the Helinox chairs with a higher max weight rating. Or even something like the Stansport like Shugs uses, but with a higher max weight rating as well. If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

https://alitedesigns.com/collections...ger-baker-blue
    REI Flexlite Macro Chair is very comfortable for big guys. I didn't find the Helinox chairs comfortable for me. It has a 300LB rating but it is heavy 2lb 9oz so it only makes it on out / camp / back trips for me. It usually stays in my Jeep or truck.

https://www.rei.com/product/114354/r...te-macro-chair
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Bridge
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Eco B
    Mountainsmith sling back trekking pole chair may be an option

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Options... I like options.

ThermaRest sit pad is ALWAYS with me. Drop it where-ever and take a load off. Only an ounce so never a second thought.

For car camping.. it an Alite Monarch at a beastly 19oz (two points of ground contact so lighter than a standard chair)

For backpacking where camp is just a few miles in, I will lug a mini Grand Trunk folding stool at 10.5oz.

For distances, I'll take the Litesmith QwikBack at 3 ounces. I'm 56, but getting up from the ground is still very doable. Pair it with the sit pad and I am good to go.

I do have a hammock chair from AHE. It's nice to set it up on breaks when with a group.. it's a novelty. One of these days I am going to figure out how to use it as a gear loft. However, I do have to carry a dedicated suspension for it. The whole thing is about 4oz depending on the suspension choice.. usually kevlar straps and a few lengths of Dynaglide with Ti Loop Aliens on the chairs CL's.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234