Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight

I'm a becket hitch convert!

Hey everyone. I am a recent becket hitch convert! For the longest time I was using various pieces of Dutch bling and some Hammock Fan pieces for my suspension but I decided to try out a no hardware suspension.

This setup came from MeyersTech Hammock Labs. It's a set of whoopies with that have a dynaglide continuous loop doubled over in place of the bead on the whoopies. This serves two functions by preventing the whoopie from getting pulled into itself and being an attachment point for a becket hitch. This setup uses kevlar tree straps and the entire suspension comes in at 2.6 ounces!

I really have been enjoying the simplicity of a no hardware setup. It's super simple and effective.

38301022_1081374515362556_3431206521885687808_o.jpg

38190315_1081374662029208_6260865765449138176_o.jpg

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 16'
    Insulation
    Pads baby
    Suspension
    Straps and biners
    Why kevlar? Just weight savings? I'd heard water and sun shine are not nice to kevlar. How much, how fast, I don't know. Just hoping you could share the decision process. Thank you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldautumndays View Post
    Hey everyone. I am a recent becket hitch convert! For the longest time I was using various pieces of Dutch bling and some Hammock Fan pieces for my suspension but I decided to try out a no hardware suspension.

This setup came from MeyersTech Hammock Labs. It's a set of whoopies with that have a dynaglide continuous loop doubled over in place of the bead on the whoopies. This serves two functions by preventing the whoopie from getting pulled into itself and being an attachment point for a becket hitch. This setup uses kevlar tree straps and the entire suspension comes in at 2.6 ounces!

I really have been enjoying the simplicity of a no hardware setup. It's super simple and effective.

38301022_1081374515362556_3431206521885687808_o.jpg

38190315_1081374662029208_6260865765449138176_o.jpg
    You're on your way!! The Becket Hitch is really simple. It might prove a challenge to untie, but truth told, it just needs a firm tug. Your tree straps might not be long enough to go straight to the continuous loops, but that is the next level of simplicity. Eliminate the whoopie and tie the kevlar strap right to the hammocks CL. I still carry a pair of dynaglide UCR's and a few dog bones, but with more often than not, I don't need them. 15' kevlar straps right to the CL's via becket hitch and I am done.

Quote Originally Posted by CanGnu View Post
    Why kevlar? Just weight savings? I'd heard water and sun shine are not nice to kevlar. How much, how fast, I don't know. Just hoping you could share the decision process. Thank you.
    I have been using kevlar straps for years. I do rotate them depending on which setup I am going to use.. I have 6', 8' and 15'. I see no degradation in any of them.. yet. Why the kevlar straps? I do have a set of MeyersTech dyneema straps and Dutch Spider straps, both in 15' and they are just a bit lighter than the kevlar, but I still prefer the kevlar because it stays flat and doesn't bunch up into a rope when they are loaded. Drives me nuts to have to flatten them out to lay around a tree or to stow them neatly.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also keep in mind the J-Bend, which I came to prefer over the Becket after much experimentation and field use.

Also, per MikekiM suggestion, strap straight to CL further simplifies things, and is easier to use with more closely-spaced trees. I've started calling it the "Bada-Bing Suspension."

simple_suspension_Bada-Bing_001_edited-1.jpg
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream13
    Insulation
    UGQ Zep/BanditXL
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Can I tie this safely with regular 1” webbing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are so many strap options available today that are light and strong enough to reach a hammock's CL that the value of hardware, whoopies, etc is really minimized IMO for hammock suspension. Like MikekiM, I carry a set of UCR's just in case, but never use them. They're mostly to abate my anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by MadTurtleCreek View Post
    Can I tie this safely with regular 1” webbing?
    Yes. I've used it with regular poly webbing, UHMWPE straps, and some heavy duty straps I use for home/car camping.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Becket hitch jere also. Used every hammock suspension imaginable I think. Changed to 15’ Kevlar and becket straight into the continuous loops.

Ain’t going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    There are so many strap options available today that are light and strong enough to reach a hammock's CL that the value of hardware, whoopies, etc is really minimized IMO for hammock suspension. Like MikekiM, I carry a set of UCR's just in case, but never use them. They're mostly to abate my anxiety.

Yes. I've used it with regular poly webbing, UHMWPE straps, and some heavy duty straps I use for home/car camping.
    Yes, and also amsteel-to-amsteel, though a bit harder to untie. Lately I'm using a hybrid setup with 2" wide 5' kevlar huggers combined with 7/64" amsteel that provides the remainder of the 'strap' length. Works fine.

Hybrid hugger-amsteel:
    simple_suspension_HUGGERS_001.jpg

Also helps with Becket hitch release to use a little 'puller loop' larksheaded to the CL:
    Becket_Hitch_pull_loop.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY 11+ ft
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    Wookie XL
    Suspension
    DIY Speed Hooks
    Any water making it into your hammocks with Kevlar tied directly to CL? Does the Dyneema stop the water with the knot/tail of Kevlar acting as a drip leg? Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
    Any water making it into your hammocks with Kevlar tied directly to CL? Does the Dyneema stop the water with the knot/tail of Kevlar acting as a drip leg? Thanks.
    I was out a few weeks ago for an overnighter that featured several hours of rain, some of it pretty heavy for rather long periods. The CLs got a little damp past the straps but it was absolutely no biggie. It seems the J-bend knot, slipped bight and tail did a good job as a drip line.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast