Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have been having a good time playing around with Becket and J, mostly just using the webbing on my Claytor No Net. All have worked just great, no separate toggle needed, no slippage, easy to undo! Yay! But it suddenly dawned on me: really how different is all of this from the simple slipped 1/2 hitch(right name?) I have been tying to a bowline on this same Claytor No Net for the last 10 years? It occurred to me I might be wasting my time doing these new knots, and the slipped 1/2 hitch has not slipped during those years, is a very quick way to go, and is very quick to untie.

Is there really that much difference, or that much advantage, in one of these knots over the other?

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/hammockknots.html
    1/2 hitch around the bowline loop or thru the loop and around the standing section of the strap? What strap material? (friction concern)

Either way, if it's working for you there's all the proof you need.

I like the J because there's no feeding the tail thru a loop or around the standing section, which can be a bit annoying with 12-15' straps, and the slipped loop and tail make a nice puller to open up the CL for easy release.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I like the J because there's no feeding the tail thru a loop or around the standing section, which can be a bit annoying with 12-15' straps, and the slipped loop and tail make a nice puller to open up the CL for easy release.
    If you tie the Becket Hitch as a "slippery", no worry about the long bitter end.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    I have been using 15' Spider Web 1.5 straps tied directly to the continuous loops with a slippery Beckett hitch all summer on overnights and just did 2 nights on Grand Island using the same method for 2 hammocks. I weigh 260 and have never had a slippage problem. The knot does tighten up pretty tight but a sharp tug always breaks it loose. For backpacking, I love the simplicity, the light weight(1.5oz) and the idea there is no hardware to fail or lose.

Images
    1/2 hitch around the bowline loop or thru the loop and around the standing section of the strap? What strap material? (friction concern)

Either way, if it's working for you there's all the proof you need.

Hmmmmmm. I may not have the technical knowledge to answer, so maybe better just to look at the link for a visual. But I am going to try to answer: 1/2" (or whatever) nylon webbing goes from hammock end channel, around tree, back to bowline that is tied on the other end of the webbing and at the other side of the hammock channel. Then this webbing coming back from the tree goes through the bowline loop and back towards the tree, just enough to tie a slippery 1/2 hitch to hold it in place, followed by a 2nd 1/2 hitch for insurance.

But you are absolutely right, if it has worked for a decade, the proof is in the pudding. (BTW, this is the SAME thin webbing on the SAME Claytor hammock I got over 10 years ago. It has seen more use than any of my other hammocks, though still far from daily use. I probably should replace it, but it looks fine)

I have always thought this Claytor set up is ridiculously light and simple, but it has never slipped or broken, holds me right in place(weight up and down 200-226). It only had 1 major flaw: a tendency to very efficiently funnel water into the hammock. But, I found this easy to defeat by just adding a simple over hand knot near the hammock, or of course just use a drip line. No real problem. Strangely, the other day I was experimenting with some drip lines and a water hose, trying to determine if the drip line would work enough for me to get rid of the extra knot, and for the life of me I could not get the water to even run down to the drip line, much less to the knot or past it into the hammock.

I'm sure that years ago I could easily get the hammock wet doing this test, unless I added the knot or drip line, the webbing would soak up water like a sponge and route it straight to the hammock. But not the other day. Strange. But I enjoy playing with knots occasionally, so I will keep playing with the Becket and J just for fun. Obviously I am easy to entertain.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-09-2018 at 11:06.

Images
    BB, I will test a simple slippery half hitch next time I am messing around and report back here

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    BB, I will test a simple slippery half hitch next time I am messing around and report back here
    Great! The Claytor set up is 1/2" nylon webbing, slippery 1/2 hitched to a bowline's loop, followed by a 2nd 1/2 hitch for back up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Hmmmmmm. I may not have the technical knowledge to answer, so maybe better just to look at the link for a visual. But I am going to try to answer: 1/2" (or whatever) nylon webbing goes from hammock end channel, around tree, back to bowline that is tied on the other end of the webbing and at the other side of the hammock channel. Then this webbing coming back from the tree goes through the bowline loop and back towards the tree, just enough to tie a slippery 1/2 hitch to hold it in place, followed by a 2nd 1/2 hitch for insurance....
    Maybe I am more visual, but if I understand this you are creating a large continuous loop that passes around only the back side of the tree... not completely around the circumference of the tree. If I am correct, that uses far more strap than any other configuration.. and how does it not slip down the tree? I must be missing something..

And 1/2" Strap?

edit...... I just looked at the link. Sure does take a lot of strap to make that double turn... and I see 'once or twice around the tree addresses that concern.
    Last edited by MikekiM; 08-10-2018 at 05:17.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    If you tie the Becket Hitch as a "slippery", no worry about the long bitter end.
    Yep, agree... I was referring to the slipped 1/2 hitch. Jeff Myers' video is the 'Becket Bible' lol. (I stumbled across some posts of his here and discovered he is a banned bad boy!)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Hmmmmmm. I may not have the technical knowledge to answer, so maybe better just to look at the link for a visual. But I am going to try to answer: 1/2" (or whatever) nylon webbing goes from hammock end channel, around tree, back to bowline that is tied on the other end of the webbing and at the other side of the hammock channel. Then this webbing coming back from the tree goes through the bowline loop and back towards the tree, just enough to tie a slippery 1/2 hitch to hold it in place, followed by a 2nd 1/2 hitch for insurance.

But you are absolutely right, if it has worked for a decade, the proof is in the pudding. (BTW, this is the SAME thin webbing on the SAME Claytor hammock I got over 10 years ago. It has seen more use than any of my other hammocks, though still far from daily use. I probably should replace it, but it looks fine)

I have always thought this Claytor set up is ridiculously light and simple, but it has never slipped or broken, holds me right in place(weight up and down 200-226). It only had 1 major flaw: a tendency to very efficiently funnel water into the hammock. But, I found this easy to defeat by just adding a simple over hand knot near the hammock, or of course just use a drip line. No real problem. Strangely, the other day I was experimenting with some drip lines and a water hose, trying to determine if the drip line would work enough for me to get rid of the extra knot, and for the life of me I could not get the water to even run down to the drip line, much less to the knot or past it into the hammock.

I'm sure that years ago I could easily get the hammock wet doing this test, unless I added the knot or drip line, the webbing would soak up water like a sponge and route it straight to the hammock. But not the other day. Strange. But I enjoy playing with knots occasionally, so I will keep playing with the Becket and J just for fun. Obviously I am easy to entertain.
    Sorry, I should have just looked at the link!

OK, that's kinda like a trucker's hitch. I agree with MikekiM about the strap length... could eat up a bunch with a big tree.

Nice thing with that setup is that there are essentially 2 straps going to the hammock, which halves the stress on whatever hitch or knot is being used.

Images
    Sorry, I should have just looked at the link!

OK, that's kinda like a trucker's hitch. I agree with MikekiM about the strap length... could eat up a bunch with a big tree.

Nice thing with that setup is that there are essentially 2 straps going to the hammock, which halves the stress on whatever hitch or knot is being used.
    Halve the stress? Hey, I never thought of that! I was always a tad concerned that these straps were only 1/2" nylon. But I am still using the original strap since about 2007 or 08, no obvious signs of wear, but only used intermittently. But I have not heard of any breaking so far. And this hammock is rated for 300 lbs and 3 years of continuous use. But the Jungle hammock uses the same straps,and is rated at350 lbs and 5 years of continuous use. So I suppose I should not be surprised it has held up for my 200-225 lbs(up and down) and 11 years of intermittent use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast