Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Trail Winder, ORM
    Suspension
    MyersTech+whoopie
    I'm loving the becket hitch — I moved to it recently when I picked up Jeff's whoopie slings kit (https://www.ebay.com/itm/284226942857). I only tied it wrong and fell on my [insert Jeff's whistle as heard here https://youtu.be/G1B_0UquZGw?t=80] 1... or 3 times

Great to see the modifications and alternatives here as well

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    An even simpler alternative that you might like to try....

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    1.2 MTN streamliner + myog net
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Anyone care to compare MyersTech 1.7 black Dyneema vs MyersTech white UHMWPE vs say Dutch 1.5 Spider? A few grams isn't the end of the world to me. Doing this more for the simplicity of Beckett to CL.

Edit: as I read more on the various scattered threads on this, I'm maybe leaning towards Kevlar. Even though I just stuff suspension into a sack I'm worried the MyersTech white will bunch up. Thanks if others have thoughts - I'm hoping to buy once cry once

https://www.fugal-innovations.com/pr...kevlar-straps/
    Last edited by possum daddy; 12-21-2021 at 13:48.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If you can find it, Kevlar 3.3g/ft webbing, 1" width, is IMO ideal. But that's a big 'if' ..... I haven't seen it for sale anywhere for about 2 years or so.

I have tried a few of the UHMWPE offerings, including Myerstech's original white stuff, and find it to be the most resistant to bunching. The black stuff I used was RBTR Venom, which I suspect is the same stuff as Myers's black webbing. Bunched up very badly. And I have seen in person, but not used, Dutch's 1.5 Spider, and judging from other users' experience it has the same bunching issue.

However, for the past few months I've been testing Myers's hybrid version, which has polyester as the main webbing with strips of Dyneema on the edges, which is a good compromise and probably the current 'best of breed' for we diehard gram weenies. There's also the 3.3g/ft straight polyester, but it is stretchy and has only a 900lb rating... no bueno IMO.

But if you can find some 3.3 Kevlar, snap it up! No offense to the Fugal people but I don't think that 2" stuff is ideal unless it's used strictly as a hugger.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Appreciate all your posts, including this one. Thanks.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I put Evo Loops on my hammock as the CL.It makes it SO much easier to catch that big honkin' knot when I tie the becket.The little pull string to release it all in the morning is a Fine Idea too. Be advised that you won't forget to "set" the knot but once so as to avoid any slippage and rapid rate of descent to the ground.Man,that was Embarrassing!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG DCF Std, Lawson
    Insulation
    Wooki, old EE TQ
    Suspension
    1.4 UHMWPE, Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by commanderkeen View Post
    It's this one:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qnwqPPquPRs&t=319s

Relevant segment ~1:10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Take the extra second to make sure you've got the last bight from around the loop instead of from the tag end you've left within the loop, please don't ask me how I know.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A mistake sometimes made when becket hitch is tied. Sometimes they will tie a slipped half hitch around the (single) strap instead of a becket hitch tied around both strands of continuous loop.

This can be from tiredness, haste, and or using this hitch so infrequently that the process is forgotten.
    After the strap goes up through continuous loop, the next step (more or less) to finishing becket hitch is a slipped half hitch finish to complete the becket hitch.

The becket hitch usually does not slip—if tied correctly and hand tightened, and then tugged on hammock end to “set” the hitch.
    There are variations of becket hitch that are less likely to slip. The last step can be repeated, by strap going around continuous loop twice, either as a (doubled) bight, or strap can wrap around continuous loop as a single strand strap the first wrap and doubled into a bight on second pass around continuous loop.

Another way to insure that almost any hitch or knot or even strap through buckles—will not slip—more than an inch—is to tie a slip knot (not a slipped half hitch) in bight or bunny rabbit ear, one inch from strap’s exit from hitch. If it does slip (due to sloppy technique, wrong knot (slipped half hitch), then it can slip only that one inch—because the slip knot will be too fat to get through any buckle, becket hitch or even the aforementioned slipped half hitch that was mistakenly tied around strap rather than a correct becket hitch tied through and around continuous loop. I Garna-U-Tee it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678