SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I've gone no hardware too, mostly in an effort to get as light as possible without sacrificing safety, comfort & convenience. Having spent years reducing my pack weight for ground camping, it's the next progression for me in getting my hammock/quilt setup as light as I can.

Hammock
    $20 Golden Eagle double
    Tarp
    $20 10'x10'
    Insulation
    $20 CDTUQ
    Suspension
    $5 HF straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Also helps with Becket hitch release to use a little 'puller loop' larksheaded to the CL:
    So far my trick is to jerk the strap end toward the tree, which tends to loosen the knot enough that then pulling down/out on the strap end will undo the knot. BUT of course it could all depend on strap material (I have only used one kind of strap) and perhaps also the CL (or whoopie/UCR) material.

Quote Originally Posted by rallywagon View Post
    Any water making it into your hammocks with Kevlar tied directly to CL? Does the Dyneema stop the water with the knot/tail of Kevlar acting as a drip leg? Thanks.
    Like cmoulder, I haven't seen any issues during moderate showers. However, later as a precaution, I tied the sheath from some 550 paracord around my CL's as drip lines, and I have survived biblical rains like that, and the drip lines were soaked afterwards. I think that's good practice and pretty cheap/light insurance. The UHMWPE webbing has a tendency to curl, and I'm afraid it may act as an aqueduct in some cases.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by CanGnu View Post
    Why kevlar? Just weight savings? I'd heard water and sun shine are not nice to kevlar. How much, how fast, I don't know. Just hoping you could share the decision process. Thank you.
    I chose kevlar because after trying Dutchware Spyder webbing I didn't like how it rolls up when it's on the tree. The kevlar stays in place nicely and remains flat against the tree. I'm not sure about the UV degradation of the webbing but I cannot imagine that it will just instantly fail on a sunny day. Or at least I hope not? I have also been steadily decreasing the weight of my gear and by going hardware free it has helped me along in that process. At this point I am down in the mid 9 lb base weight region for my backpacking kit and my knees and back have thanked me.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Also keep in mind the J-Bend, which I came to prefer over the Becket after much experimentation and field use.

Also, per MikekiM suggestion, strap straight to CL further simplifies things, and is easier to use with more closely-spaced trees. I've started calling it the "Bada-Bing Suspension."

Attachment 166984
    Thank you for this! I will definitely be giving this a try.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Your tree straps might not be long enough to go straight to the continuous loops, but that is the next level of simplicity. Eliminate the whoopie and tie the kevlar strap right to the hammocks CL. I still carry a pair of dynaglide UCR's and a few dog bones, but with more often than not, I don't need them. 15' kevlar straps right to the CL's via becket hitch and I am done.

After reading this I reached out to MyersTech and asked him for a quote on two 15' Kevlar tree straps because simple is good.

Hammock
    Autumn Outdoor Gear
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Duster
    Insulation
    LSOH
    Suspension
    Autumn Ultralight
    I worked on my suspension a bit tonight and made up some DynaGlide Whoopie slings to go with those kevlar straps. My entire suspension comes in at 1.9 ounces! I haven't tried it out yet but they have a 1000 lb rating so I think I will be fine.

DSC_3173~3.jpg

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    Yep. Couldn't be easier. 10' kevlar straps for me. Never needed more, but trees in the NE aren't as gargantuan as they are out west

Hammock
    Dutch net less wide
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20's / SLD TW
    Suspension
    Straps/no harware
    Yes, and also amsteel-to-amsteel, though a bit harder to untie. Lately I'm using a hybrid setup with 2" wide 5' kevlar huggers combined with 7/64" amsteel that provides the remainder of the 'strap' length. Works fine.

Hybrid hugger-amsteel:
    Attachment 166987

Also helps with Becket hitch release to use a little 'puller loop' larksheaded to the CL:
    Attachment 166986
    Ive messed around with amsteel to amsteel, but it always seems to slip on me.. Whats your secret?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chromedome View Post
    Ive messed around with amsteel to amsteel, but it always seems to slip on me.. Whats your secret?
    I tested with both Becket and J-Bend without slippage, although J-Bend is the only one I've used on overnight hangs and it hasn't slipped a micron after being fully loaded.

I'll try Becket overnight next time, but when I tested I bounced on it a fair bit and napped about 30 minutes on the setup with no slippage.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast