Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by joelkey75 View Post
    ...if anyone has advice on an entry to moderate level 2-4 day hike? I have found a lot of information but nothing specific about where to get on the trail, where to camp, exit the trail, etc.
    I've hiked it all and based on your request I'd "second" the vote for Max Patch to Hot Springs, NC. Good variety, good views, not too difficult, manageable miles, shelters and campsites galore, hostels and shuttlers at both ends (Standing Bear Farm near Max Patch end) can shuttle you or your car. Hot Springs is a nice little town to end in with lots of hiker services available. One drawback might be that there are not too many options for bailing out if you need.

All that said, hard to go wrong with any stretch of the AT in NC.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I am following this post just because I too want to do parts of the at. It is an inti.idating thought tho because i am over weight and have not hiked more than a couple miles at a time in the last 5 years or so. I want to do some of the Sheltowee trace here but i really want to try parts of the Southern at

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    My wife and I recently did Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap, 25ish miles (we actually hiked the Kimsey Creek Trail out of Standing Indian Campground so that made it 30 for us). We did it in two days ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    I am following this post just because I too want to do parts of the at. It is an inti.idating thought tho because i am over weight and have not hiked more than a couple miles at a time in the last 5 years or so. I want to do some of the Sheltowee trace here but i really want to try parts of the Southern at
    Build up to it. 2 1/2 years ago, my wife had never walked more than about 5 miles in a day and had NEVER backpacked. I had been sedentary since getting out of the Marine Corps in '91.

We started riding bikes and walking around our neighborhood, doing day hikes close to home and then a little further away in the N GA mountains, and now we can hit the trail and grind out some decent miles for two old fat people =)

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Build up to it. 2 1/2 years ago, my wife had never walked more than about 5 miles in a day and had NEVER backpacked. I had been sedentary since getting out of the Marine Corps in '91.

We started riding bikes and walking around our neighborhood, doing day hikes close to home and then a little further away in the N GA mountains, and now we can hit the trail and grind out some decent miles for two old fat people =)
    Thank you for the encouragement!

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The Standing Indian section is renowned for its relative ease compared to the rest of the trail. Even the climb up to the 5000'+ Standing Indian Mt is just not that bad, especially compared to some 3000' peaks in Ga. Everything in the 50 miles between Deep Gap and NOC is just excellent hiking with lots of eye candy. The loop is great, but if you want to see more trail, carve out what you can of that section going Nobo. Moderately strenuous climbs up Siler Bald, Wayah Bald and Wesser Bald are so worth it.

Roan is the best eye candy I've experienced and the hiking is not terribly hard, but its prone to getting colder earlier than other areas. I'd save that for June when the rhodos and flame azalea are blooming.

And read up on proper hanging - no one likes Taco/Banana hanging, so therefore we don't do that. Instead we sleep flat and well-rested. Lots of products out there that seem flatter than a GE hammock (gathered end) have their own issues that interfere with the flatness of the design. None of them support you as well as a regular hammock, but do get something sufficiently long (this precludes getting an ENO product).
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    To get a preview of the standing Indian loop see Sean's latest Video.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...North-Carolina

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Hickery's Favorite
    Insulation
    UQ: HG 20F
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Carver's Gap to 19E is a popular section that includes several balds with great 360 degree views and the Overmountain shelter. Plus it is only 13.5ish miles. Lot's of people seem to either do it in 2 days or break it up into 3 "easy" days. There's B&B named Mountain Harbour at 19e that you can park at (for a fee) and they run a shuttle service to Carver's Gap (for a fee). It also has rooms, a hostel, or you can camp on their grounds for the night before the hike or for when you're done.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I am looking hard at that one and really love that it can double as a ground tent
    Why would you want to sleep on the ground when there are lots of trees to hang from ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’d ease into it. Maybe do an overnighter with a friend—a short hike out and back or a loop.
    Like Old4hats says easy to overestimate your ability to cover miles and HILLS with a full load.

A fun weekend shakedown practice trip with a friend or 2 or three friends. Maybe a whole weekend

If you have the time, 19E down to Erwin, TN is an awesome hike.

My advice to a new hiker is weigh everything. Make a conscious decision about bringing everything based on weight and functionality. Sub out lighter things for heavier things. (I have saved several ounces just trading one synthetic hiking shirt for another.) Nothing goes in the pack with a "bah that doesnt weigh much" attitude. You dont have to be one of these "take nothing but a knife and a loin cloth" gram weenies. However, you can literally cut pounds of your pack weight by shaving a few ounces here and there. Lighter packs make much happier hikers.
    "We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true." Robert Wilensky

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast