Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Appalachian Trail advise for NC

Hello all,

I am very new to backpacking and Hammock camping (still shopping gear actually). Always been an outdoor guy hunting and fishing but been a drive in camper where I bring everything including the Kitchen sink. This October I would live to do a few nights on the Appalachian Trail and was wondering if anyone has advice on an entry to moderate level 2-4 day hike? I have found a lot of information but nothing specific about where to get on the trail, where to camp, exit the trail, etc.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Even for just a fee days I think you might want to leave the si k at home

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    check this book out: https://smile.amazon.com/T-Guide-Nor...70_&dpSrc=srch

I have an older version and used it when planning my Virginia section hike. it has pretty much all the information about the trail that you need, it's broken down by state
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dutch banyan bridge, hummingbird si
    Tarp
    Wb Cloudburst, Hg
    Insulation
    Loco libre, enligh
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles, jef
    I am currently section hiking the AT. Started at springer mountain last December. Last section was from Unicoi gap GA. To winding stair gap in NC. Best thing ever for planning is guthook app on my phone. It has campsites, water sources, parking areas. Contact rons AT shuttle, he’s on facebook, he is fantastic and a great current conditions source. I recommend you take an overnight trail somewhere close with just your AT gear and do a shake down. Then conservatively guess your mileage you can do per day. I would recommend about 10 miles per day if your in good shape. Then plan your entrance and exit based on that. The AT is heavily trafficked and you’ll rarely be alone all day, especially if you camp at shelters. Winding stair gap to Tellico gap might be a great option. Its 19 miles. If you like pm me your info and i can answer any questions you have.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    Heres some trails to look up, I have done them both in a weekend:

1.Standing Indian Creek loop (25 miles)
    2. Virginia Triple Crown loop (35 miles)

I have done them both over a weekend, with first time backpackers. Both heavily utilize the A.T., and are easy to access and hard to get lost on (my biggest issues for a first time backpacker). They both have rewarding views, but I would recommend the VTC for a first big trip. It's an easier hike, and is gorgeous at many different parts along the trail. SICL is 5.5 hours from Raleigh, and the VTC is 3.5 hours away.
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    My wife and I recently did Deep Gap to Winding Stair Gap, 25ish miles (we actually hiked the Kimsey Creek Trail out of Standing Indian Campground so that made it 30 for us). We did it in two days but you could make a three day trip out of it for sure.

It's a really beautiful section of trail, with a few challenging climbs (Albert Mountain for one) but for the most part gently rolling. Also, plenty of water along the way, never had to carry more than 2 liters.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Appalachian Trail advise for NC

Standing Indian loop is nice. No shuttle required.

Roan Mountain / Carvers Gap to 19E - get a shuttle from Mountain Harbour up to Carvers Gap and then hike back to your car. Great views on the balds. Probably one of my favorite trips.

Max Path to Hot Springs - I haven’t done this one but hear nice things about it. Requires a shuttle.

Once you narrow your choices down, feel free to post again asking for more details. I’m sure we can help.

It is very easy to overestimate how far you can walk in a day, especially when one is new to hiking with a loaded pack. Please don't ask how I know. For a first venture plan to do about half of what you think you can do. It is so easy to listen to someone telling about their 10, 15, or 20 mile days, and feel like you must do that much too. Use the first hike to get to know your gear and most of all to get acquainted with yourself on the trail. Backing is such a wonderful and enjoyable experience, so start easy and enjoy!
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Thank you all so much for the helpful advice. Anyone have a Lawson Blueridge Hammock? I am looking hard at that one and really love that it can double as a ground tent if no trees are around. Really love the spreader bars as I just cannot sleep in a "TACO". My only concern is the weight at 4.25 pounds. Doesn't that seem a bit heavy?

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by joelkey75 View Post
    Thank you all so much for the helpful advice. Anyone have a Lawson Blueridge Hammock? I am looking hard at that one and really love that it can double as a ground tent if no trees are around. Really love the spreader bars as I just cannot sleep in a "TACO". My only concern is the weight at 4.25 pounds. Doesn't that seem a bit heavy?
    I havent looked at weight much but since everyone either weighs in oz or grams I would think it is a bit heavy,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast