Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Stake bag doubles as a rock bag, aha!

For all you food hangers out there. You’ve got a rock bag don’t you? You’ve got stakes, don’t you? Now you may or may not have a stake bag, but I bet most of you do. Why bother bringing the extra rock bag and why bother hunting for rocks when you already have what you need? Your stakes can double as your dead weight and your stake bag can double as your rock bag instead! Lots of stake bags are made of a durable material that is perfect for handling the abusive life of a rock bag. And many of them have loops on them as well for tying your bear line to them. The one I got from AHE is great for this. Just wrap the line around the outside of the bag after you pack up your stakes.

It even encourages good habits, because you should hang your food first thing when getting to camp, especially if it will be dark soon. Relying on your stakes in this way forces you to get that line at least started before you set up your tarp. It will also potentially improve your throwing game because you will now have a consistent amount of dead weight to practice with every time.

Here’s another tip when using the PCT method. Attach your tarp’s stuff sack to the bear line right above the toggle and stick your bug spray in there as well as whatever else you don’t want mixed with your food or things you tend to need access to frequently such as butt wipes, etc. They will be much easier to get to that way.

While we here, let’s discuss the bear line.

I got this idea because I have been brainstorming on how to improve my food hanging kit. I began this brainstorming session once I saw the neat bear line that Lawson offers. It seemed like a much better suited line for the job once I read the description:

http://lawsonequipment.com/Ultraglid...ine-p1073.html
    ”The Ultraglide bear line was specifically designed to be used as a bear bagging line. It is Ultra Strong, Ultra Slick, Ultra Light and Ultra Tough. Our cord is made using Spectra S1000 which is one of the slickest, strongest and lightest weight fibers ever created. Unlike other throw lines on the market that have vinyl or urethane coatings. Ours does not, as we wanted to maximize its slipperiness. Spectra Fibers Coefficient of Friction is comparable to that of Teflon, but the Spectra Fiber we use has much better abrasion resistance. 15 times more abrasion resistance than carbon steel. This is like having a non-stick coating on your throwline. Which means, that our UltraGlide effortlessly glides and slides over tree limbs and will not get hung up. Gear testers have commented that it feels like there is a pulley in the tree's. The cord features a double color fleck which adds a pop of color to the line and protects the reflective tracer from abrasion. After braiding, the line is pre-stretched and polished which makes the surface extra smooth. While its super slick, it holds knots well. But we recommend a little extra tail on your knots. The diameter is little larger than other throwlines, so its easier on your hands and tree limbs. This is the best bear bagging line out there. This cord is proudly manufactured by us on our braiding machines using the best quality yarns available. Diameter: 2.3mm (3/32"), Weight: 1.70oz per 50', 3.5mm (9/64"), Weight 3.6oz per 50'. Break Strength on both: Strong Enough to hang a Grizzly Bear! Made In USA”

Nice! So I like how it’s thicker because it is easier on your hands when pulling it. I also think it’s wise to use a strong line so that it can serve more purposes in case of any emergencies. Like if forgot to pack your suspension or it fails, or you need to rappel down something, or you need a lifeline for rescue, or you could use it as a safety line when crossing a sketchy river, etc. Using this would certainly be better than using lash it!

Okay, I’m done. So does anybody else already do this? What do you think? Does it all make sense?

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I don't mind losing a rock to a tree...!

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    I don't mind losing a rock to a tree...!

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    You’re killing my dreams, guys! You’re KILLING em!!

So does that happen to you guys a lot? I would think that a long slender bag made of stiffer material with a long slender shaped mass of dead weight in it would at least snag a lot less than a thin round bag of rocks. You could still substitute with rocks if the tree looks sketchy. Do you think the kind of snags you encounter could be minimized with a bag designed with this in mind?

Hammock
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    For example, give it a weak point, so that with enough of a tug, the bag separates from the line.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    If you throw and miss and the rock sack lands on another rock, you'll end up with holes in the rock sack. True story.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    I use a solid heavy stick and throw it like a baton. MUCH easier to aim and throw long distances than any bag of rocks.

Also, never throw anything you don’t mind losing. Most of the trees where I backpack and covered in heavy moss and lichen which makes it likely to get snagged.

Or just use an Ursack.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    I love how you think!

I love making my gear as multi purpose as possible provided it doesn't compromise my safety or fun.

I actually use my stainless water bottle as a "rock bag" even though it has dings now.

Works great for me, it's smooth surface resists snags well.
    I like to go solo - off trail - immerse myself in the area - explore - eat really well - and make it back home.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Not a bad idea. But I just throw my entire bag over.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I don't think my mix of titanium and aluminum stakes is heavy enough for bear-bagging. I learned the hard way that having too little weight in the rock bag may not allow it to lower easily (or at all). I prefer to use rocks, as they fit in my hand better- can hold them more like a baseball, making throwing much easier and more accurate. The trick is using a couple more rocks than you think necessary.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast