Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

gear recomendation - final check

hi guys.. new to this forum, but I've lurked for quite some time.
    i currently own an eno onelink system purchased a year or so ago that includes hammock + tarp + bugnet + straps.
    while this has worked for me thus far, I'm ready to dive into the deep end and gift the eno (it's got dibs )

thus far, the items I'm considering purchasing are:
    • hammock: Dutchware chameleon hex 1.0 + bugnet + top cover + beetle + straps
    • underquilt: HG Incubator Econ 20
    • quilt: HG Burrow Econ 20 (wide)
    • tarp: kelty noah? or keep the eno profly rain tarp? - other?
    • misc: dutchware wasp adapters everywhere

i would like to know your comments and recommendations. I'm trying to go budget without sacrificing quality.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The Chameleon isn't exactly a lightweight hammock, so I'm personally a little hesitant to go with Hex 1.0 (I hope you're well under 200 lbs. if you do go that way). I only weigh 165 lbs., but I'm not going anywhere near 1.0 fabrics (been there, done that) - my 1.6 Hexon Chameleon is fine with me!

Besides, it seems a bit silly to go with such a lightweight fabric when you're going with Econ quilts (which weigh more). You're also going with a Wide Burrow, which indicates you are a hefty person - another reason not to go with a fabric that has a 200 lb. weight limit. I also see you're considering a Kelty Noah (35 ounces!), or an ENO Profly (22 ounces) tarp. The ProFly, at 10'6" long, is not really long enough for an 11 ft. hammock, in my opinion. And the Kelty Noah just weighs a ton - not a backpacking tarp.

Also, FYI, but you really only need one Dutchware Wasp on your ridgeline. Normally, one uses a Dutch hook on the other end of the ridgeline. If you really want Dutch Bling for your guylines, look into Fleaz, Hookworms, Tarp Worms, Silk Worms, etc. Wasps are not meant for guylines. Personally, I only use Dutch bling on my ridgeline - I'm perfectly happy just larksheading my guylines onto the tarp and using a Marlin Spike Hitch on the stake. I like Dutch bling, but sorry, he's not getting my money for guyline doohickeys!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    11' SLD Lair
    Tarp
    SLD and HG WP
    Insulation
    HG UQ
    Images
    I am also new but Son has the 1.0. I'm 178 lbs and I wouldn't go with the 1.0 for myself. He is about 140lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The Chameleon isn't exactly a lightweight hammock, so I'm personally a little hesitant to go with Hex 1.0 (I hope you're well under 200 lbs. if you do go that way). I only weigh 165 lbs., but I'm not going anywhere near 1.0 fabrics (been there, done that) - my 1.6 Hexon Chameleon is fine with me!

Besides, it seems a bit silly to go with such a lightweight fabric when you're going with Econ quilts (which weigh more). You're also going with a Wide Burrow, which indicates you are a hefty person - another reason not to go with a fabric that has a 200 lb. weight limit. I also see you're considering a Kelty Noah (35 ounces!), or an ENO Profly (22 ounces) tarp. The ProFly, at 10'6" long, is not really long enough for an 11 ft. hammock, in my opinion. And the Kelty Noah just weighs a ton - not a backpacking tarp.

Also, FYI, but you really only need one Dutchware Wasp on your ridgeline. Normally, one uses a Dutch hook on the other end of the ridgeline. If you really want Dutch Bling for your guylines, look into Fleaz, Hookworms, Tarp Worms, Silk Worms, etc. Wasps are not meant for guylines. Personally, I only use Dutch bling on my ridgeline - I'm perfectly happy just larksheading my guylines onto the tarp and using a Marlin Spike Hitch on the stake. I like Dutch bling, but sorry, he's not getting my money for guyline doohickeys!
    Thank you for taking the time to answer. I picked components based on reviews I found online.. most people preferred the 1.0 for example, and some wished their quilt was wide. I’m 6.0 “ 190ish mid frame I guess. I’ll pick the 1.6 instead for sure.. as for the quilts, I picked based on price so I don’t know how much is to heavy.. can I get your recommendation on tarp and the quilts?
    I need to be able to carry this in a pack for traveling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Look into a Silnylon or silpoly tarp from any of the cottage vendors here. The Warbonnet Superfly is what I've been using for 7 years and it's very popular but there are other vendors tarps that would fit the bill as well.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by derpingit View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to answer. I picked components based on reviews I found online.. most people preferred the 1.0 for example, and some wished their quilt was wide. I’m 6.0 “ 190ish mid frame I guess. I’ll pick the 1.6 instead for sure.. as for the quilts, I picked based on price so I don’t know how much is to heavy.. can I get your recommendation on tarp and the quilts?
    I need to be able to carry this in a pack for traveling.
    I'd be surprised if most people preferred the 1.0 Chameleon - maybe you mean that most people who did a review preferred the 1.0 Chameleon. I also don't think you need a wide quilt - I certainly don't (and I'm only 1 inch shorter and 25 lbs. less than you). Unless you plan on gaining 50 lbs., I think a standard quilt will work fine.

If you are going to be hiking, then the weight adds up. The Incubator premium is 22 oz., while the Econ is 25.75, which is 3.75 ounces more or 15% more. The Burrow Premium is 18.66 and the Econ 22.25 oz., which is 3.59 ounces more or 16% more. If you're a real gram weenie, that additional 7.34 ounces might concern you, but it's only 7.34 ounces, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the tarp, the Kelty 12 x 12 will be 35 ounces, whereas the Warbonnet Superfly 20D Silpoly is 18 ounces. That makes the Kelty 17 ounces more and 49% heavier! While I realize the Kelty costs $70 and the Superfly $140 (twice as much), I think you'll find the Superfly to be a superior tarp in just about every way. You'll get 4-season protection with doors that will keep out blowing rain and snow, and the Superfly will be easier to pitch than the Kelty. Every Kelty owner I've ever seen has a problem getting a taut pitch. I don't know if that's because of the tie-outs not being in an ideal location (it's not technically a hammock tarp) or the material, or what.

If you wanted to go 100% gram weenie on the tarp, you could look at the HG Winter Palace, 9.1 ounces, but 415 dollars! However, I think the Superfly is a fine combination of price and weight.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    SuperFly, others
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/ENO
    Suspension
    Cinch,Whoopie,Atla
    Unless you hike a LOT or are into ultralight I wouldn’t bother paying the extra for premium quilts. The econs are great, save you a ton of money, and are only 7-8 ounce heavier. I love my HG Econ quilts!

I agree about the recommendations regarding your tarp. The Noah will work, but the superfly is sweet, lighter, smaller, and offers better protection. It’s worth the extra $70 if you can afford it.

I can’t comment on the fabric - all of mine are 1.6 (I’m about 210lbs).

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'd be surprised if most people preferred the 1.0 Chameleon - maybe you mean that most people who did a review preferred the 1.0 Chameleon. I also don't think you need a wide quilt - I certainly don't (and I'm only 1 inch shorter and 25 lbs. less than you). Unless you plan on gaining 50 lbs., I think a standard quilt will work fine.

If you are going to be hiking, then the weight adds up. The Incubator premium is 22 oz., while the Econ is 25.75, which is 3.75 ounces more or 15% more. The Burrow Premium is 18.66 and the Econ 22.25 oz., which is 3.59 ounces more or 16% more. If you're a real gram weenie, that additional 7.34 ounces might concern you, but it's only 7.34 ounces, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As for the tarp, the Kelty 12 x 12 will be 35 ounces, whereas the Warbonnet Superfly 20D Silpoly is 18 ounces. That makes the Kelty 17 ounces more and 49% heavier! While I realize the Kelty costs $70 and the Superfly $140 (twice as much), I think you'll find the Superfly to be a superior tarp in just about every way. You'll get 4-season protection with doors that will keep out blowing rain and snow, and the Superfly will be easier to pitch than the Kelty. Every Kelty owner I've ever seen has a problem getting a taut pitch. I don't know if that's because of the tie-outs not being in an ideal location (it's not technically a hammock tarp) or the material, or what.

If you wanted to go 100% gram weenie on the tarp, you could look at the HG Winter Palace, 9.1 ounces, but 415 dollars! However, I think the Superfly is a fine combination of price and weight.
    thank you. i'll get the superfly, keep the econ quilts as planned (regular size), and rethink the dutch bling. tbh i'm lazy and haven't gotten to learn any knot skills yet (my eno just has a strap with notches. if at all possible, could you please tell me which ones i need and how many to make my life a bit easier?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by derpingit View Post
    thank you. i'll get the superfly, keep the econ quilts as planned (regular size), and rethink the dutch bling. tbh i'm lazy and haven't gotten to learn any knot skills yet (my eno just has a strap with notches. if at all possible, could you please tell me which ones i need and how many to make my life a bit easier?
    For tarp guylines, I'd just recommend larksheading the guylines onto the tarp, then use the marlin spike hitch on the stake. The larkshead and marlin spike hitch are just about the easiest knots to learn. For the tarp ridgeline, some like a continuous ridgeline, and some like a non-continuous ridgeline. Personally, I prefer the continuous ridgeline.

I like the continuous ridgeline with Dutch Wasp on one end, Dutch hook on the other. The website says the tarp is attached via soft shackles, but I think that's a typo - they're soft shackle prusiks. You hang the ridgeline, then center the tarp using the soft shackle prusiks. I'm not a fan of the Tato Tarp connectors - not a big fan of shock cord.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/co...type-and-color

Or you could go with Tarp Flyz and a non-continuous ridgeline. You can order the tarp flyz spliced onto 12 ft. of Zing-it. So, that gives you a length of 2x12 +11 (length of the Superfly) = 35 ft. That should be good for the majority of trees (unless you're camping in old growth forests and trees with huge circumference).

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/tarp-flyz/

I haven't used a non-continuous ridgeline much - seems like more work to me to center the tarp over the hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Another option to consider if you want good quality at a discounted price is the ProVenture Hammock Hex Tarp. It has a 142" Center line. And gives very good coverage. It will not have the doors of the Superfly it is 1/5 the price at $30. The weight is 6 oz. more for the tarp and it includes basic stakes and guylines. It will not have the mid-panel pullouts. https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Venture-W...802Q22NFAV2QHZ

I personally have this tarp, hvae used it for a year now on 9 backpacking trips is all weather except snow, and love it. I'd like to have the Superfly, and can easily afford it, however for me, the advantages of the superfly are not worth the extra $120+ when you add in stakes, guylines,shipping etc.

Another option could be the Blue Stone Tarp. It currently has a Vipon.com coupon making the price $20.00. It looks very similar to the ProVenture though it is listed as a 11' tarp. Probally from the same factory. But I do not have personal experience with this one.
    Anyhow, I do not know if this meets your request to jump into the deep end or not. But a consideration.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast