Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    W Slings
    Here is Warbonnet’s video on setting up a tarp. You can see a couple of ways to do it; with and without bling...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuUmNOwBAw

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Another option to consider if you want good quality at a discounted price is the ProVenture Hammock Hex Tarp. It has a 142" Center line. And gives very good coverage. It will not have the doors of the Superfly it is 1/5 the price at $30. The weight is 6 oz. more for the tarp and it includes basic stakes and guylines. It will not have the mid-panel pullouts. https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Venture-W...802Q22NFAV2QHZ

I personally have this tarp, hvae used it for a year now on 9 backpacking trips is all weather except snow, and love it. I'd like to have the Superfly, and can easily afford it, however for me, the advantages of the superfly are not worth the extra $120+ when you add in stakes, guylines,shipping etc.

Another option could be the Blue Stone Tarp. It currently has a Vipon.com coupon making the price $20.00. It looks very similar to the ProVenture though it is listed as a 11' tarp. Probally from the same factory. But I do not have personal experience with this one.
    Anyhow, I do not know if this meets your request to jump into the deep end or not. But a consideration.
    I personally don't recommend buying Amazon hammock gear, and definitely not from China (I have a closet full of $20 tarps from Amazon that are absolutely worthless - I had a hard time learning my lesson).

I can't find an 11 ft. Blue Stone tarp, but here is their website and contact info:

http://www.bluestone-outdoor.com/the...uct_10027.html

CONTACT US
    Address:2nd Floor East, Tower 1, Gaofa Science and Technology Park, Nanshan Dist, Shenzhen, China

Hou Feng Zhu (Anthem)
    TEL:0086-755-26433315-816 / 0086-13418681010
    FAX:
    EMAIL:[email protected] / [email protected]

I hope you don't mind calling them long distance in China! They probably don't speak English, but what do you want for $20?

Proventure doesn't even have a website, but it's a 29 ounce PU-coated 210D tarp. With both tarps, don't expect any customer service.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Venture-W.../dp/B07C28FL18

You should expect a $20 Amazon tarp to perform exactly how you would expect a $20 tarp to perform - in other words, not much better than a Wally World blue tarp!

Read the HF reviews on the Blue Stone and ProVenture tarp before buying. What's that you say? There ARE no reviews? Not a good sign.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 08-02-2018 at 23:15.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I personally don't recommend buying Amazon hammock gear, and definitely not from China (I have a closet full of $20 tarps from Amazon that are absolutely worthless - I had a hard time learning my lesson).
    That is all fine and well, but means nothing unless you have the tarp I am discussing, one in fact I do own. I have not idea what tarps you have, thus commenting on them brings no value to the discussion.

Proventure doesn't even have a website, but it's a 29 ounce PU-coated 210D tarp. With both tarps, don't expect any customer service.
    Again, you have no personal experience with this produce or this companies customer service thus your opinion is pure conjecture. As per the tarp weight you are flat out wrong. The tarp weight is as I said, 23oz. I quoted the actual tarp weight for an apples to apples comparison of weight to the Superfly as that trap does not come with any guylines stakes or other hardware. You rounded up the advertised weight for the whole package of 6 stakes, 6 3m lines, line tensioners, tarp and two stuff sacks. The package weight is indeed 28 oz.

ProV3.jpgIMG_1336.jpgprov2.jpg
    Pic 1: Tarp weight 1lb 7.2 oz (23.2 oz): Pic 2: Close-up of scale: Pic 3: Full Rig including all guylines/bags/stakes 1lb 12.1 oz (28.1 oz.)

You should expect a $20 Amazon tarp to perform exactly how you would expect a $20 tarp to perform - in other words, not much better than a Wally World blue tarp!
    And yet again, pure conjecture. You are flat wrong. The ProVenture Hex Hammock tarp performs beautifully. I personally have used it on the trail, including the AT, RRG, in the Wayne NF in wind, rain, several times in Freezing rain and in temperatures from 85F down to -6F (Jan 5-6, 2018). The only condition I have not been in is an accumulating snow storm. So unless you have used this particular tarp, then your opinions about it are baseless. I would line it up against any tarp in for use in regular style camping trips anywhere. I would highly recommend it. It is a quality product with nice features. The stitching is even and well done. The grommets are a nice added feature that allow insercion of a stick or trekking pole to set up in porch mode. I do feel the guy lines a 10' long are excessively long. I cut two in half and use 5 foot guylines. This has worked very well for me for the last year. If someone has a special need then this may not be the one for them. They can make that decision for themselves. - There, now you have a positive review of the ProVenture on HF's.

I merely provided a potential option that aligned with the goal of not spending too much money and the quality level of initial tarps listed in the OP. If you are so confident about the superiority of the superfly, then let it speak for itself. You do not have to pop in here and trash my suggestion when you have no direct knowledge of the product I suggested.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Based on the reviews on HF I've seen thus far, nobody can dispute your review of the $20 ProVenture or the $20 Blue Stone tarp (i.e., nobody has ever commented on them). Then again, I saw hundreds of reviews of the Guide Gear 12 x 12 tarp, which I found to be a total crap tarp. Just google the Guide Gear tarp - it was beloved for a time. Hundreds of reviews on what a wonderful tarp that was, and yet, we don't hear a single thing about Guide Gear tarps anymore. I wonder why that is? Perhaps it was some sort of mass hysteria due to the $20 price? It was a crap tarp from day one, but there was a mass hysteria about them.

So maybe you can start a mass hysteria about the ProVenture or Blue Stone $20 tarp. Good luck!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    So maybe you can start a mass hysteria about the ProVenture or Blue Stone $20 tarp. Good luck!
    I have no desire to start mass hysteria, just pointing out a known good quality option that the OP may want to look at, or not, that would be up to them.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

gear recomendation - final check

you're getting some great advice from this forum. I'm 140 lb and I choose the 1.2 fabric over the 1.0. 1.0 is great for my 5 year old and my wife whose only 100lb, but even for me at 140, the 1.0 fabric is a bit iffy. it holds me fine, but man does it stretch.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB MJ
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    @derpingit, when thinking about hexon 1.0 versus hexon 1.6 weight limits, I think it's worth considering real-world use. I weigh about 160 lbs, but sometimes I sit in the hammocks with boots and some gear, and sometimes my 9 year-old boy likes to climb in with me -- and sometimes he jumps in and wants to swing. So there are higher dynamic loads to consider. For me, the 100g weight savings isn't enough to offset the risk of the fabric tearing. And I haven't slept in Hexon 1.0 so I can't directly compare comfort, but in general I prefer slightly more support over too much stretch in the fabric.

But your usage might be different, and you may prefer a stretchier hammock. I have a feeling this isn't going to be your last hammock purchase (none of us seem to have stopped at one hammock!) so have fun exploring a bit.

The quilts you've chosen sound great. Definitely get a lighter weight tarp, though. The Kelty Noah 12' was my first tarp, it's relatively heavy and it's hard to pitch it perfectly taut. I still use it for family camping trips, but I'm much happier with my WB Mamajamba and Superfly tarps. The Mamajamba is the one I use the most, but there is no doubt that the Superfly is better for cold or windy weather.

In terms of hardware, you've gotten great advice already. I have a CRL with a Dutch hook and a wasp on one tarp, separate ridgelines with tarp flies on a second tarp, and a CRL with no hardware at all on a third tarp. I still can't tell which setup I like best.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    you're getting some great advice from this forum. I'm 140 lb and I choose the 1.2 fabric over the 1.0. 1.0 is great for my 5 year old and my wife whose only 100lb, but even for me at 140, the 1.0 fabric is a bit iffy. it holds me fine, but man does it stretch.
    What 1.2 fabric are you talking about? I don't see any 1.2 fabric offered on the Chameleon. There's Hexon 1.0, then the next lightest is Hexon or Argon 1.6.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12