SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    While you may ultimately be happiest with a full length UQ, my advice is to buy a shorter (ie: Phoenix - my favorite) one and see if it works for you. REturn it if it drives you crazy. Worst case: You decide you don't like it after a few trips and sell it for close to retail. Money well spent to decide what works for you. Then you can buy the full length.

If you go FULL you will always wonder if 3/4 would have been enough! (I did until I now have both )
    Agreed, every night that I slept with the full length wooki and I wondered how a 50" quilt would be. Finally bought one and it packs up nice and small. I use it into the 40s with no pad. Once I hit the 40's and down to freezing I may use my sit pad or take my full length quilt depending how I feel.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footer
    Tarp
    DIY 12 footer
    Insulation
    Climashield
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    My wife and I have used the full range of UQ lengths and we have stopped at 60x46 inches. Im 6' and she's 5'10" and we get full coverage from shoulder to feet. Lowest temps we hit was -20 with no problems with cold feet (7.5oz climashield). We have 3 season UQ's that use 5oz climashield.

JT

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cneill13 View Post
    The 3/4 quilt sounds like a good idea, until you freeze your feet off one night and wonder why you messed around with comfort just to save a couple of ounces of weight.
    True, but a very individual thing. I have a friend whose feet are freezing at 65°F and I am fine with Coolmax socks at 15°F.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I would go fully length for simplicity. I have both and the only time I use the 3/4 is when it is not cold enough to warrant the full length.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'm guilty of that...ordering/selling the exact same phoenix UQ...twice! Yes, I'm insane
    You are not alone!My gig is to buy the wrong thing first-always!

Images
    Get the full length and have no regrets. Consider a partial UQ as an "advanced lesson" only if the full length isn't working out for some unknown reason.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    The Wookie, there is no alternative to sleep comfortably. I've tried 2/3 length with a foot pad, and traditional full length, none come close to the Wookie in reliable comfort and easy setup.

Hammock
    WB ELD / SLD TL / HH Del. Expl.
    Tarp
    SLD / Hen / HG
    Insulation
    HG Econ/CDT Gemini
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Get the full length and have no regrets. Consider a partial UQ as an "advanced lesson" only if the full length isn't working out for some unknown reason.
    This is the plan I went with. Ordered the HG Incubator Econ 20° full-length on Friday, I figure I can more easily scrounge up the cash later for a Phoenix Econ if I want to try that out.

On another note, my current setup is the GEMINI Costco UQ and I really enjoyed putting it together! I love the modularity of it and the flexibility. Thank you for your detailed instructions!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    If you can have only one, go for the full length. You can always vent it. That said, I couldn't decide at first either and I followed my own advice and went with a full length Incubator, albeit a 40*. Then added a 20* set and then made a DIY 3/4 CDT.. What I found was I used the 40* Incubator once or twice per season, going from the 20* right to the 3/4 CDT. I was constantly itching for a Pheonix...

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    20°F and above, I'm fine with 3/4+CCF sit pad (actually 55" EE Revolt which, on the diagonal, is more than 3/4 for me @5'9"). Below that, full-length Incubator.

But that's me. Honestly, you won't know for sure if it works for you until you spend a full night or 2 out in cold weather. Most people on HF seem to prefer full length and that is without doubt the safest route to take. But you'll never know if a 3/4 would've worked, so... hmm...
    ... and that's the dilemma I had. I always wanted the proper 3/4. I was never cold with the 3/4 CDT, but felt like I had one quilt too many.. Then it happened....

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    My Hammockgear Phincubator is my all-time favorite. Right in between a phoenix and incubator. Custom 30° at 62". I'm 5'9" and it covers me from the base of my neck to a couple inches past my feet for good measure.
    ...I got a custom Phincubator and it was like the heavens rewarded me. It's just long enough that i can pull my legs up just a little and be fully covered, but short enough that I can extend past its' limits. I sold the Incubator and the CDT (kept the 20* set) and haven't looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    While you may ultimately be happiest with a full length UQ, my advice is to buy a shorter (ie: Phoenix - my favorite) one and see if it works for you. REturn it if it drives you crazy. Worst case: You decide you don't like it after a few trips and sell it for close to retail. Money well spent to decide what works for you. Then you can buy the full length.

If you go FULL you will always wonder if 3/4 would have been enough! (I did until I now have both )
    There's no way to tell other than to try it.. Otter has it right. You'll always be able to sell a quilt for a decent amount. But if you go full, you'll always wonder..

Maybe you can go to a group hang and try both.. Though, I'll admit, the chances of seeing a Phincubator in the wild are pretty slim...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    SLD Asym
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I diy'ed a costco 3/4 underquilt and it was okay. I pulled the trigger on a full length EE Revolt and it's alot warmer. Just my 2 cents.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast