Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Considering an all-in-one compression/Bishop bag...

I've just recently become interested in a single compression-type sack configured like a Bishop bag (grommeted bottom, drawstring/closable top) to hold a hammock, TQ & UQ, down pillow, and my tarp. The tarp I'd keep separated in a one-piece sleeve, but I'd like to be able to tuck it into the same sack. I'm mainly interested in reducing my deployment time. UL isn't as much a concern right now, as I do more canoe/kayak camping.

I was looking at one of these ALPS compression sacks on Amazon. They're cheap and have decent (and validated) reviews. I think the zippered pockets could come in handy for suspension and ridgelines. I'm thinking I'd put a grommet in the bottom after melting a hole through it--probably near the bottom of the pocket--and run the hammock's CL through that.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on this approach? I'd like to get input on sizing for a hammock with 20-degree quilts and a winter tarp; I think a medium (9" x 20", 20L) would suffice. The large is 11" x 23" and 35L. I can get my sleeping gear into a 15L dry bag, although it's tight and doesn't fold over enough to seal. Maybe with a compression bag cinching everything down, it'll be easier... or if I just drop it into a contractor bag, I can forego the dry bag altogether.

Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Snaps; 08-01-2018 at 07:21. Reason: oops! added link

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Aegismax 40* Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Huggers
    I've actually made one for just this reason. The only problem I run into is a wet tarp. Gotta keep the insulation dry and there are also times I need to use my tarp by itself. So I'm using for the hammock and top quilt for now. I haven't had the opportunity to use it much so I don't know how I'll like it long term. I'd be interested to see your take on it.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Yeah--wet tarp is one of several reasons I'm keeping my sleeve for the tarp. It's a one-piece silnylon sleeve from SLD, easily the best of the 4-5 sleeves/skins I've tried. If I thought a mesh sleeve would allow a tightly-wrapped tarp to actually get dry, I'd use one... but the fact is, once it's wrapped up in a sleeve, the only part of the tarp getting any air is the outside of the outer layer.

Anyway... the plan would be to keep the tarp in the sleeve and add it the top of this bag, and only if it's dry. If it's wet... plan B. As in, to B determined. It can just be tied up and clipped anywhere if it's wet, anyway.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A contractor bag with a hole, a cuben pack liner with a hole, even a pack with a hole. At first I did use an old sleeping bag stuff sack with a hole big enough to exit amsteel. I sewed a hair tie at the hole to gather the tree strap if its not wet. The top/head end just lays on the drawstring closed sack. For me my hammock and quilts are the last thing to be in my pack or the first depending on if Im coming or going. I hook the suspension for the bottom around the tree and the head end suspension is on top, walk and deploy to the other tree. Tarp is separate for reasons mentioned. Packing up, stuff it all back into the bottom of my pack as I walk to the foot end. Load food bag, stove, ect on the top.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I tried that before and ended up finding it a mess for me. Too many tangles when I pulled out the hammock with UQ and TQ in there. Spent more time fixing all the twists. So i ended up preferring everything in its own lil' home.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    A contractor bag with a hole, a cuben pack liner with a hole, even a pack with a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I tried that before and ended up finding it a mess for me. Too many tangles when I pulled out the hammock with UQ and TQ in there. Spent more time fixing all the twists. So i ended up preferring everything in its own lil' home.
    Shug
    Thanks Shug. I may try it all the same, but will attempt to button everything up well and wrap the hammock's tie-outs to try to keep tangles at bay. Nothing ruins a good hang like a... bad tang... le.

I'll recheck sizing and order one today, I think.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 foot
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Diy uq phantom32
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks/
    Images
    One things to think about when choosing a compression bag size, is not necessarily whether it'll fit all your Gear but how well it fits in your backpack.I recommend finding one about the same diameter as the inside of your backpack, so when it's compressed down it doesn't cause bulges and lumps. Something to help keep everything from getting tangled is to put a bungee or piece of shock cord with a small binder on one end around the middle of your fully assembled hammock setup to hold everything in place while you stuff it. you can also sew a buttonhole on the bottom of the bag instead of a grommet if you have a sewing machine capable of it. Personally I like keeping my tarp completely separate, so I can pull it out all by itself to set up when it's raining out and also be able to Stow everything before I take it down if it's still raining.20180721_172936.jpg20180721_173017.jpg20180721_173613.jpg

Sorry apparently I was standing on my head when I took these pictures;<)
    Last edited by Carrico; 08-01-2018 at 10:52.
    By all means, let's argue about whether or not a hammock will hurt a tree. All the while ignoring the fact that there is an island of garbage the size of Texas floating in the Pacific ocean. Or how about the fact that over 75% of the world's nuclear reactors are leaking...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB &amp; Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I use a 20 liter Sea to Summit Event dry sack (roll top) and stuff my hammock, under quilt, top quilt and fronkey bugnet all in it for summer weight gear.
    I've attached the quilts and bugnet to the hammock ends, so everything is in place when deployed. Simply stuff everything from one end. My tree straps are stowed separately in case of tree sap.
    For winter weight gear, a larger dry sack is required, or pack the top quilt in a separate sack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Papa Smurf rolled out this product a month or so ago. I think it may be what you want

Here is the thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ht=Sleeve+sack

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie &amp; shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Papa Smurf rolled out this product a month or so ago. I think it may be what you want...
    Something like this, yeah. I saw this thread. I just didn't realize it could possibly work for a hammock and both quilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast