Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Ripstop and Robic and Membrane and Calendared OH MY !

I'm going to use my rudimentary sewing skills and a friends assistance and make a DIY UQ. I'm going with the Climashield Apex full length Kit from RSBTR.

I have absolutely no idea what fabric to choose. Much less which should I choose for the outer shell, inner shell etc.

My knowledge only runs to ripstop nylon. Can someone help with the pros and cons of the fabrics and make some general suggestions. I don't want to take a 3 hour course in fabrics. I did some research into the fabrics available at RSBTR but just got more confused on what I need.

My priorities are

• Durability over weight
    • Easy to sew
    • Not be too slick requiring constant adjustment

Do I need the outer layer waterproof? Does the inner layer need waterproof? Does it need to be breathable etc...

This coming from one who has learned from here- Since you are using CS, I would use something breathable with a DWR for the exterior (bottom) and something light wt., breathable for the interior (top) of your UQ. My 4yr old DIY 2.5 CS UQ has a hyper-D 1.6 AU camo ext. and 10d membrane for the int. IIRC... this is my 3 season UQ for my local are and has served me well. There are many folks here more knowledgeable than me @ the specific materials/ brand descriptions. So much help here, you"ll like hanging. ENJOY!

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelPlayer View Post
    I'm going to use my rudimentary sewing skills and a friends assistance and make a DIY UQ. I'm going with the Climashield Apex full length Kit from RSBTR.

I have absolutely no idea what fabric to choose. Much less which should I choose for the outer shell, inner shell etc.

My knowledge only runs to ripstop nylon. Can someone help with the pros and cons of the fabrics and make some general suggestions. I don't want to take a 3 hour course in fabrics. I did some research into the fabrics available at RSBTR but just got more confused on what I need.

My priorities are

• Durability over weight
    • Easy to sew
    • Not be too slick requiring constant adjustment

Do I need the outer layer waterproof? Does the inner layer need waterproof? Does it need to be breathable etc...
    Just stick with the basic 1.1 ripstop. (always calendared for quilts... though not a big deal with Apex)

You do not want a waterproof quilt, inner or outer. Besides... you're using synthetic so you don't really need to worry about it.

It's also your first project, so odds are decent you'll want to do another down the line.

Membrane and light stuff is very slippery and will not self heal (hide needle marks).

For an UQ, that will be plenty durable and sticking with the same fabric top and bottom will reduce any feeding issues or seam creep. (so will lots of pins)

If you wanted way overbuilt- regular 1.9 ripstop is fine too.

I would at minimum use Apex 3.6 for all but a high summer only UQ. In a top quilt 2.5 is okay for summer use.

The only other tip is color:
    Outer color is your call but black or a dark olive/brown blends in with the woods and means you can use standard black thread. Black on black always makes less than stellar sewing jobs prettier
    If you do get a little rain splash, condensation, dew, etc on the quilt... having a dark color means a quick sunning will dry it faster.
    On the inner color- a nice bright color (Orange or yellow depending on hammock color) that is easy to see at night helps prevent any mishaps regarding sitting in the UQ.

I was typically a fan of the black everything sleeping gear until I got into hammocks... I now appreciate colors to help sort out all the layers.

3 hour course avoided, lol.

Five minute course-
    The other fabrics really don't make a ton of sense to me in an UQ.

Really I think the only two things I'd consider is a printed fabric if you want the look... or Membrane 10 to reduce weight and volume.
    If you hang in very brushy areas... a heavier outer might make sense. (Like ripstop 1.9 for this one).

As you get going you may pick up your own 'favorites' but hard to beat 1.1 ripstop/Apex combo for an affordable DIY.
    From there as your confidence grows- I'd just jump right to Membrane 10 or trick it out with printed fabrics.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for all the replies.

I decided to go with ION fabric from Dutch.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelPlayer View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.

I decided to go with ION fabric from Dutch.
    That is a great choice. The tight weave on ION really resists snags.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts