DIY GE
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x10'
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopie goldberg

Aluminum Turtle Dog stand

Hello hangers, I recently made a Turtledog stand out of some 2" 6061 aluminum tubing I had at my work. This weekend was the maiden voyage at Jackson Lake State Park in Colorado. Between the Tornado warnings, rain, sand flies and wind it held up great. Here are some pics of the general construction.
    Turtledog empty.jpg
    All sections are made from 40" of 2" 6061 T6 Aluminum with 12" hidden connector sleeves made from 1.875" tubing. The ends that have bolts going through them have wooden plugs to keep the pipes from crushing.
    eyebolts.jpg
    The Tripod tops are connected with 6" fence hinges like most here. I have a quicklink connected to SS 3/8" eye bolts that are joined to the bottom eye bolts using a coupler. I chucked the coupler into my drill press and rounded out the bottom so it is easier on whoopie slings and tarp lines. The bottom eye bolt worked great for a truckers hitch line going to a rebar stake at the bottom of the stand. Last year we had gale force winds and I didn't want this flying away. I had to take the tarp down a couple of time this weekend when the wind picked up but the stand was solid.
    Turtledog porch mode.jpg
    The top bar is 160" long which leaves a lot of room. One of the middle connectors can be removed to make a 120" top bar which may come in handy for indoor applications. Here is a 10' square tarp with my 9' GE hammock. There is a half length bug net stuffed in the Bishop Bag at the head. For this trip I also broke in my new DIY half length Climashield Apex underquilt which was awesome. Until now I've used a pad because of a couple ripouts from lightweight DIY hammocks that left me sleeping on the ground. Now I have a reliable hammock I can confidently plan to hang without a backup plan. I slept like the dead both nights even through some rain on the second night.
    Jackson lake sunrise saturated.jpg
    Here's the view from yesterday morning. Pretty happy with how all this turned out. The rig is pretty heavy and bulky but its built like a tank. I'm sure I can make one that is lighter and more compact but for now this will work great. After this weekend I'm thinking about how to set up in my apartment which might require moving furniture. I had it set up for a couple days with one tripod in the bedroom and the other in the living room with me sleeping in the hallway. There's got to be a better way than that. The next version I make will probably be more compact for that reason. Thanks to all on this forum for the ideas, especially the monstrous Turtledog thread.
    Last edited by COYeti; 07-31-2018 at 14:33.

Nice work.
    I collect vintage camp stoves.
    I roast coffee at home.

Hammock
    Diy 11 ft and DD hammock
    Tarp
    Diy
    Insulation
    closed cell foam
    Suspension
    whoopsie slings
    AWESOME coyeti
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY. OTHER TIMES I LET HER SLEEP

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    This looks great! I bet it last a long time. Great job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Nice job! Looks good

Just tried pricing this. Just for the exterior parts (no connectors or other hardware) I’m getting $1250 and change.

is this seriously overbuilt?

can I get by with smaller diameter?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1960 View Post
    Can I get by with smaller diameter?
    Yes, smaller diameter aluminum tubing will work. Schedule 40 1" Aluminum Pipe (6061-T6) will cost about $90.00 per 20 foot section.

Or, three 20-foot sections of Schedule 40 1" 6063-T5 will cost $58 for each section.

The outer diameter of these 1" pipes is 1.315"

Hey Joe any advice on where to source the legs from? I saw you mentioned a local metal company but I am in CT. I saw on home depots website they have black pipe cut to 6 foot lengths 1 inch.
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_guilbeau View Post
    Yes, smaller diameter aluminum tubing will work. Schedule 40 1" Aluminum Pipe (6061-T6) will cost about $90.00 per 20 foot section.

Or, three 20-foot sections of Schedule 40 1" 6063-T5 will cost $58 for each section.

The outer diameter of these 1" pipes is 1.315"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xzzdrewzzx View Post
    Hey Joe any advice on where to source the legs from? I saw you mentioned a local metal company but I am in CT. I saw on home depots website they have black pipe cut to 6 foot lengths 1 inch.
    Yep, Google!

Search String: <Connecticut Aluminum Schedule 40 pipe Supplier>

Results: https://www.aluminummanufacturers.or...y/connecticut/ (7th entry)

• + New Posts