Modified HH Explorer deluxe zip
    Tarp
    HH hexfly
    Insulation
    Jerven Hunter
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    According to the Hennessy website, they are using #10 YKK zippers. Those are ginourmous and totally unnecessary: the standard #3 YKK zippers never lock and run super smooth as well, but they are lighter and cheaper. I don't know what Hennessy expects their customers to do with their hammocks, but if you don't plan to throw your hammock in the mud every other day, the zippers are total overkill.

And as I said, YKK does make zippers that can be separated, but afaik they cannot be flipped. And I think the available lengths might be a problem, too. Since Warbonnet is using YKK zippers on their other hammocks that don't feature separating nets, I would be surprised if they did not look into the available YKK zippers.

If you really think you need #10 YKK zippers, you will probably have to forgo the detachable net.
    Well, I don’t need #10 YKK zippers, but it makes for a zipper you can trust if you sitt down in the hammock on accident. When it comes to weight i think its better to take off half a kilo of bellyfat then to go ultra light all the time.

I guess bottom line is that the warbonnet is awsome, and since I have not tried one I can’t really say to much about zipper upgrades. :-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BBXLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie; Bandit XL
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    No problems at all with the zippers on my updated Blackbird XLC. Contact Warbonnet and talk with Ryan or Brandon. They are very responsive and, obviously, knowledgable. Can't imagine not buying my Blackbird because of unbranded zippers. It's as comfortable as my queen size at home. Best sleep I've ever had outside.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Batvik View Post
    When it comes to weight i think its better to take off half a kilo of bellyfat then to go ultra light all the time.
    Very true Still, unnecessary weight is unnecessary weight - on the belly or at the hammock. I'm far from UL myself, but that's one more reason why I hate carrying stuff that has no added benefit.

It doesn't matter anyway, because the features that make the XLC what it is cannot be realized with YKK zippers - neither the #3, nor the #5 or the #10. I just checked the YKK website out of curiosity, and the longest separating zipper is only 120cm long. You would need two zippers with the combined length of about 320cm on each side. So even if Warbonnet would be willing to make a custom hammock for you, it could not have all the features of the XLC that most people seem to be so keen on.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I have a RR and have had no problems with the zippers (or anything else for that matter). WB products are really well-designed and made.

Quote Originally Posted by Batvik View Post
    Ok, that explains it. I still think the warbonnet would bennefit from using the zippers from the Hennessy Explorer deluxe zip. Awsome zippers, never locks up and super smooth!
    Or maybe there's a hammock out there with a military-spec brass zipper that you can bet would outlast any hammock you put it on. Okay, I'm a bit over the top, but so is a #10 zipper.

Images
    In order to update the XLC so that topcovers and underquilt protectors all fit together properly regardless of when they are purchased, we had to move away from YKK to a different supplier. Ykk was not willing to make us the specific zipper we needed. So the Origional Blackbird still uses YKK zippers, while the XLC and Eldorado use a plastic nylon tooth zipper which can be made to the tighter tolerances needed to make those products cross compatible.

We have had good luck with the nylon tooth zippers so far.

Hammock
    Modified HH Explorer deluxe zip
    Tarp
    HH hexfly
    Insulation
    Jerven Hunter
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    In order to update the XLC so that topcovers and underquilt protectors all fit together properly regardless of when they are purchased, we had to move away from YKK to a different supplier. Ykk was not willing to make us the specific zipper we needed. So the Origional Blackbird still uses YKK zippers, while the XLC and Eldorado use a plastic nylon tooth zipper which can be made to the tighter tolerances needed to make those products cross compatible.
    We have had good luck with the nylon tooth zippers so far.
    Ok. Thank you for a good answer!
    There will be an order for the XLC to Norway soon. :-)

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    I wish Warbonnet would make a Blackbird XL (no C). No fancy zipper functions needed for a simple hammock.
    Agreed.

I have 2 Older XLCs and 2 newer Eldorados. The zippers do work a bit nicer on my older models but I have not had a failure with any of them.

Images
    - and I wish Warbonnet would make a Blackbird XL (no C). No fancy zipper functions needed for a simple hammock.
    We can do that as a custom job, It's not a problem to do zipper on one side only

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    We can do that as a custom job, It's not a problem to do zipper on one side only
    Fantastic! I love the design of the regular Blackbird - it does everything I need it to do. I'm definitely going to order a BB XL, even if I probably will stick with the regular version for hiking. Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast