Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    IMG_3817.jpg
    I was curious so I went and checked. YKK on mine. Bought it around 2012 I believe. Never had any issues with them.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Extra wide XLC clone
    Tarp
    RSBR silpoly
    Insulation
    Down, lots of down
    Suspension
    BIAS anchor,amstee
    48D25F78-D85A-47F9-803A-4CFD90E6778C.jpg
    No Name on the new winter top cover.

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    I had the same reservations when I received my WBBB XLC this summer.
    The zippers seamed so small and frankly, hard to "find" or grasp.

I am a kayak camper so size and weight is not a major issue with me.
    I LOVE the large zippers on my HH Safari.

I just ordered a DL Darien from Drem Hammocks and ordered it with a #8 zipper,, gotta love the cottage industry

Quote Originally Posted by Batvik View Post
    Hi guys
    I want to ask about your thougths on the zippers on the warbonnet hammocks. I want to upgrade to the blackbird XLC, but the zippers look small, unbranded and weak. On my HH the zippers are a heavy duty YKK zipper that you can pull on all day long, so they feel much more bullet proof. This is the only thing holding me back from buying the XLC. Am I wrong?

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    I have not had any problems with the zipper, I just like big beefy hammocks, and big beefy zippers (my darien is a DL 2.2)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have been using BlackBirds for about 9 years now with out any zipper problems
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR/WBXLC
    Tarp
    SF, Mamajamba, CB
    Insulation
    Wooki; Ridge CK XL
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    I have 4 warbonnet hammocks; XLC, RR, and two Traveler’s. Also, a travel net and travel sock. Absolutely no troubles with the zippers and I use all of them a lot.

Hammock
    Modified HH Explorer deluxe zip
    Tarp
    HH hexfly
    Insulation
    Jerven Hunter
    Suspension
    Python straps

Cool

Thank you guys!
    What I find strange from asking you guys is that warbonnet is mixing YKK zippers with unbranded ones. Why they do that and not just using branded ones I do not know, but since no one have had problems with the zippers they must know what there doing.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Up until the release of the current XLC version, Warbonnet has been using YKK #3 zippers. These are quality zippers that are used by many other hammock and tent manufacturers. They have truly stood the test of time. You'll still find YKK zippers on the Ridgerunner and regular Blackbird.

However, YKK doesn't seem to make separating zippers of the kind that's necessary to make nets and top covers not just removable and exchangeable but also flipable. That's why Dutch started making one. Warbonnet apparently makes their own version. I, too, don't like the looks of the new XLC / Eldorado zippers. Sometimes the zipper teeth are not cut or molded cleanly; the handles don't feel as robust as the YKK handles and I have been wondering how long it will take until one snaps; and the zipper is prone to hitching if you don't pull or push into the right direction. By the way, I have the same niggles about the Dutch zippers. However, since the introduction of the XLC Gen 2, Warbonnet has probably been selling thousands of XLCs, and I have yet to read about a zipper failure. So they seem to be holding up better than I would have expected. I guess if you want to be able to switch nets and top covers and also want to flip them, you have to live with non-YKK zippers.

Still, I wish YKK would make zippers like that - and I wish Warbonnet would make a Blackbird XL (no C). No fancy zipper functions needed for a simple hammock.

Hammock
    Modified HH Explorer deluxe zip
    Tarp
    HH hexfly
    Insulation
    Jerven Hunter
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Up until the release of the current XLC version, Warbonnet has been using YKK #3 zippers. These are quality zippers that are used by many other hammock and tent manufacturers. They have truly stood the test of time. You'll still find YKK zippers on the Ridgerunner and regular Blackbird.

However, YKK doesn't seem to make separating zippers of the kind that's necessary to make nets and top covers not just removable and exchangeable but also flipable. That's why Dutch started making one. Warbonnet apparently makes their own version. I, too, don't like the looks of the new XLC / Eldorado zippers. Sometimes the zipper teeth are not cut or molded cleanly; the handles don't feel as robust as the YKK handles and I have been wondering how long it will take until one snaps; and the zipper is prone to hitching if you don't pull or push into the right direction. By the way, I have the same niggles about the Dutch zippers. However, since the introduction of the XLC Gen 2, Warbonnet has probably been selling thousands of XLCs, and I have yet to read about a zipper failure. So they seem to be holding up better than I would have expected. I guess if you want to be able to switch nets and top covers and also want to flip them, you have to live with non-YKK zippers.

Still, I wish YKK would make zippers like that - and I wish Warbonnet would make a Blackbird XL (no C). No fancy zipper functions needed for a simple hammock.

Ok, that explains it. I still think the warbonnet would bennefit from using the zippers from the Hennessy Explorer deluxe zip. Awsome zippers, never locks up and super smooth!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Batvik View Post
    Ok, that explains it. I still think the warbonnet would bennefit from using the zippers from the Hennessy Explorer deluxe zip. Awsome zippers, never locks up and super smooth!
    According to the Hennessy website, they are using #10 YKK zippers. Those are ginourmous and totally unnecessary: the standard #3 YKK zippers never lock and run super smooth as well, but they are lighter and cheaper. I don't know what Hennessy expects their customers to do with their hammocks, but if you don't plan to throw your hammock in the mud every other day, the zippers are total overkill.

And as I said, YKK does make zippers that can be separated, but afaik they cannot be flipped. And I think the available lengths might be a problem, too. Since Warbonnet is using YKK zippers on their other hammocks that don't feature separating nets, I would be surprised if they did not look into the available YKK zippers.

If you really think you need #10 YKK zippers, you will probably have to forgo the detachable net.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast