Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Nice!
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Sorry I had to miss this one... maybe next year.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The 10th Annual Texas Fall Hang 2018,(#tfh2018), is now history. Between my Mom’s surgery and a Teen Court conference in the days following getting home I’m a bit slow in posting a recap but now, here we go. The posts, comments, and pictures on social media would lead one to believe it was a success, and I concur.

I had a great time and am thankful to so many that helped make it so.

Here’s a quick numbers recap and some random thoughts:

10 - years and running we’ve enjoyed gathering as a group in the trees at FLSP and this year the kind folks went over the top to welcome us home.
    62+ - campsites we paid for that gave us an entire section of the State Park with additional overflow sites booked into each of 2 nearby camping sections
    116 - folks served the annual Saturday morning breakfast from Uncle Mike’s Kitchen
    146 - the number spotted at Saturday night’s Pot Luck Dinner
    170 - is the guestimate of total attendance during the weekend (based on the solid count of Saturday night plus folks who didn’t make the dinner or the entire weekend but were able to participate at some point)

The weather was pretty near perfect. Those who like the cool temps thought so anyway. No freeze but lows were in the mid-30’s making for great campfire enjoyment; most of the time it was clear and in the 40’s and 50’s for Friday and Saturday. Those who like to test tarps had to be on the early side as it rained most of Thursday night. The early advance team saw temps in the 70’s on Wednesday solidifying that saying, “if you don’t like the weather in Texas, wait a bit and it will change”.

Special thanks to the workshop leaders:
    There are now a few more folks who know more about how to find edibles in the wild, splice whoopie slings, make hammocks without sewing, sling rocks in the event of survival needs or battles with giants, minimize burned food and fingers in cast iron, archery, and Leaving No Trace.

The food selection, quality, and quantity Saturday night was amazing. It was great to go through the lines after most everyone was seated and still have more choices than plate space.

When I made my final drive around the campground on Sunday morning, the place looked cleaner than when we arrived. I’m grateful that this group once again stepped up to the level that I constantly brag about as good guests, LNT campers, and good stewards of the place.

I know this is long and most normal folks have already nodded off and that the first rule about publicly thanking folks is to not do it by individual name for risk of forgetting someone. This is me breaking that rule with a statement of appreciation and a shout out to some who helped make the weekend special. (Please don’t hesitate to remind me of those I’ve forgotten as I will quickly correct the record.)

Dave - aka Oldgringo, my old and dear friend, both the banker that made booking so many sites in advance manageable and the coffee man who kept us going daily

DeeAnn - who’s legible handwriting gave us a sense of what was going on and when

Patrick - who took the Pay It Forward table off my plate

Brandy - whose passion for wild edibles is nearly as contagious as her laugh, and who took on the task this year of organizing a slew of classes and workshops

Mark - aka Spiguyver - who without hesitation when asked, took on the mic for our pot luck dinner and prize giveaway and also put together a really sweet video showcasing our event

Allen - the sound man with the mic and speakers to boot who came through for us yet again - not much would have been heard without his hookup

Devon - the guy who fed us breakfast on Friday, helped a bunch with our Saturday breakfast and volunteered to coordinate the pot luck dinner with a team of great helpers resulting in an evening which went off splendidly

Louis and Linda who also helped out as part of the big breakfast team through whose efforts another Saturday morning meal was a success

Tim, Kris, Daniel, and Kate - for their above and beyond hospitality as well as Tim’s archery skills

James - my good friend who jumped in to take care of things I hadn’t even asked and willingly helped with those I did. Also, in addition to helping watch for sparks when I cranked up the flame thrower, he sparked more than a few jumpstarts for my dead battery as well as others.

Chris - my son, baker of cakes, b.b.q.er of chicken legs, who is not only one of the luckiest folks I know, (who opted not to take a drawing ticket this year to give others a chance), but one of the kindest who was always willing to lend a hand

Cindy - my bride, biggest supporter, and the love of my life, who really put in a ton behind the scenes, tolerates me, especially with my obsessing over planning, and unselfishly lets me go play in the woods more than she gets to do so

The dozens - who helped others with gear loans, set up assistance, and welcomed in those who trusted a group of folks they had decided to meet in the woods after an internet conversation. Nothing scary about that.

Thanks to the generosity of many there were a ton of prizes and winners Saturday night.

Among the things that we hold to with the Fall Hang that may make it different than some is that no one is asked to donate a thing. Raffle tickets are not sold. Breakfasts don’t have price tags. And vendors come as friends, not packing display cases, inventory, and cash registers, but just the good people that they are. Sure folks see things they like and place orders, but it’s a family atmosphere, not an outdoor gear trade show or festival. No kidding though with Randy & DeeAnn, Paul & Missy, and Tom on site, there was certainly some cool new gear to see, learn about and try.

With that, we develop amazing friendships with folks who make exceptional gear, more prizes than imaginable are given away completely for free, and we eat well. While never asked or expected, some generously make donations to help defray the Saturday morning food costs. There’s always been enough to cover food expenses in the past and this year was no exception. Thank you to those who help underwrite good meals and memories.

As much fun as it is to see pics and comments, (please keep posting and taking with #tfh2018), there’s really no time to bask in the afterglow of the campfires, as there are more events coming down the pike. Later this month there’s a Hiker Thanksgiving in the Sam Houston National Forest; In December there’s Christmas in the Park at Fairfield Lake State Park; Hang in the New Year at Tyler State Park; The Frozen Butt Hang in January at McKinney Falls State Park; and the Spring Hang in April at Goose Island State Park so it’s a bit early to plan for next fall.

Thanks again for the fun and the support. I look forward to our paths crossing again soon.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

11th Annual Texas Fall Hang Save The Date

It's on the HF calendar but just to make sure you don't miss it, the ...

2019 edition of the Annual Texas Fall Hang will be Thursday, November 7 - Sunday, November 10.

All the official planning posts and info will get kicked off in late July but mark your calendars and be on the lookout for details in another thread this summer!

*If you paid for a site last year, be sure to check your inbox here for a PM; your inbox on FB; or if you provided other means of contact last time, like an e-mail address, look there for an early bird message.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456