DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo

Permethrin Ratio

I bought a bottle of permethrin 10% solution. I wanted to soak my gear in a 5 gal bucket and drip dry them in the garage.

I’m hoping my math is correct.
    Someone posted 1oz of permethrin to 19oz of water. If that ratio is correct, then if I have 512oz (4gal) of water, I should pour in 26.94oz of permethrin (round up to 30oz). Would that be correct?

With all the rain we’re having in Florida, it has bred some nasty mosquitoes, some I feel are the size of butterflies. My job requires me to be mostly outside during my 12hr shift. I’m hoping to soak my uniforms, clothing, and some gear to repel half of them, and I hate going home smelling like deet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    4 gallons of permethrin mix is going to be A LOT of permethrin. I've only mixed up 1 gallon at a time and been able to do as much gear as I ever wanted. I think a close enough ratio for permethrin to water is one cup of permethrin to 1 gallon of water. I think that gets you in the neighborhood of .5%
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    HyperD 1.6 DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    PolyD 4000 Cat hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies and hooks
    Also, Picaradin for exposed skin is fantastic. Smells better than deet and isn't hard on gear.

Cheers,
    The Goat
    Cheers,
    The Goat

Hammock
    DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    4 gallons of permethrin mix is going to be A LOT of permethrin.
    I was planning to do all of my clothing, uniforms, gear, and also include my wife and daughter’s clothing as well, and a good chunk of my camping equipment. I also have a lid so I could store it temporarily if I decide to dunk more clothes/gear in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    I think a close enough ratio for permethrin to water is one cup of permethrin to 1 gallon of water. I think that gets you in the neighborhood of .5%
    Now I’m confused. What is the true ratio mix to achieve .5%? I’ve been seeing different numbers in different threads and websites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    There was a very comprehensive discussion on this topic some time back on NWhikers.net. It contains a lot on mixing ratios. It is a multi page thread but well worth the effort to read through.

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...er=asc&start=0
    Last edited by HangingOut; 07-29-2018 at 21:19.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Strongly suggest only making 1 gallon. Make it in a 5 gallon bucket. Use a rubber band to bundle up clothes. Drop them in and let soak. Remove, wring out and hang up to dry. Repeat with other items.
    In 1 gallon, I treated 3 pairs a pants, about 10 pairs of socks, four shirts and a hammock. AND had left over solution (pour it around your foundation to kill termites).
    Make sure any cats are not near any of this stuff when wet or the solution.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Also, saving the permethrin solution can be problematic - I've heard that it can go black or moldy looking. I personally never make more than a gallon, and I'm a sprayer, not a soaker. Spraying works just as well for me.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    I bought a bottle of permethrin 10% solution. I wanted to soak my gear in a 5 gal bucket and drip dry them in the garage.

I’m hoping my math is correct.
    Someone posted 1oz of permethrin to 19oz of water. If that ratio is correct, then if I have 512oz (4gal) of water, I should pour in 26.94oz of permethrin (round up to 30oz). Would that be correct?

With all the rain we’re having in Florida, it has bred some nasty mosquitoes, some I feel are the size of butterflies. My job requires me to be mostly outside during my 12hr shift. I’m hoping to soak my uniforms, clothing, and some gear to repel half of them, and I hate going home smelling like deet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Correct, to get 10% concentration to the desired .5%, increase the total volume by 20 times by adding water. So, 1 oz of 10% is increased to 20 oz total by adding 19 oz of water and is now .5%. Or, if you prefer, 10% divided(diluted) by 20 = 0.5%. So dilute by 20 times by adding enough water to have 20 times as much. 1 oz of 10% BECOMES 20, OR 2 BECOMES 40, 10 becomes 200, etc.

Or, 26.94 oz of 10% perm X 20 = 538.8 total volume .5%.
    538.8 total minus 26.9 10% perm = 511.9 oz water to be added to the 26.9 oz of 10% perm. (round off of course) That is a lot of perm!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-29-2018 at 22:49.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I would do it in 2 gallon batches. I think you are on the right track. I used to spray everything but it so much quicker to soak with a couple gallons and I think better coverage to also. I found it easier to use a rubbermaid tub than the 5 gallon bucket. I have never used the entire 2 gallons even when doing all my gear at once. It never goes to waste as someone suggested above, I pour it on the edges of garage to kill invaders.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    6 oz of 10% Permethrin solution in one gallon of water. That gives you a standard .5% final dilution rate.

I do a gallon at a time. You want the extra room in your 5-gallon bucket. If you mix FOUR gallons in a 5-gallon bucket, you will not have room for adding a batch of clothing/gear without it spilling/splashing over the top.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast