WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    The more I dunked, the dirtier the solution became, even though all of my cloths were washed before hand. I suspect some dye bled through. I still have plenty of solution left, approximately a gal left. I’m glad you talked me out of making 5 gals. I would have had enough to dunk my squad’s uniforms.

I stored the rest in a Home Depot bucket and sealed it with a lid. Are there any issues with storing it in a climate controlled room (not the garage), and dunk more gear later? Again, the solution is really dark, almost black.
    I noticed the same thing with I dunked my clothes. I had just washed them but the solution did get sort of medium grey. Not sure where the color is coming from because they have been repeatedly washed so any loose dye should have already come out.

As for storage, Permethrin does not have an expiration date so it should keep indefinitely. I don't think it breaks down with exposure to UV but you can put it in a dark container if that worries you. I don't think it breaks down due to air exposure. The main cause of degradation on clothes is the repeated rubbing of the fabric breaks it down (why they say 6 washings) so sitting in a container shouldn't have any issues.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    I stored the rest in a Home Depot bucket and sealed it with a lid. Are there any issues with storing it in a climate controlled room (not the garage), and dunk more gear later? Again, the solution is really dark, almost black.
    I also stored my left over (maybe a quart) in the 5 gallon bucket I'd mixed it in. It was slightly discolored when I closed the lid. 6 months later, it was black and had a film on it, like something was drying out or growing. I wound up just pouring it along a foundation. If you are going to treat/retreat in the next few months, you might be fine storing it for a short time. Otherwise, you might just pour it out now and mix fresh when you need it.
    Just my experience with it.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Thanks very much
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Dutchwear Half-zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Costco DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle buckle
    I just use the spray method and it works just fine.

Hammock
    Currently using DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    Silpoly DIY HEX
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    All
    This year I tried something new and just bought the Sawyer Permethrin spray. 2 cans treated my clothing and select gear and should last the bug season. It's way easier for me than mixing. When I would mix up a gallon at a time, it was never enough. My gear would drink it up and then most of it would just drip off - and that took several days to air dry enough to safely handle. I tried putting it in a sprayer and that worked much better for me - less waste. I intended to do the same this year but my local stores weren't carrying the concentrated stuff, just the Permethrin in spray cans, so that is what I went with. It seems to work just fine in my opinion - no ticks yet.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardAngler View Post
    This year I tried something new and just bought the Sawyer Permethrin spray. 2 cans treated my clothing and select gear and should last the bug season. It's way easier for me than mixing. When I would mix up a gallon at a time, it was never enough. My gear would drink it up and then most of it would just drip off - and that took several days to air dry enough to safely handle. I tried putting it in a sprayer and that worked much better for me - less waste. I intended to do the same this year but my local stores weren't carrying the concentrated stuff, just the Permethrin in spray cans, so that is what I went with. It seems to work just fine in my opinion - no ticks yet.
    good to know. However, i always use gloves and wring it out, than hang up to dry. in a Texas summer, that takes 30 minutes. In a 5 gallon bucket with a gallon of solution, I treated a hammock, two pairs of pants, a few shirts and about 8 pairs of socks, and had solution left.
    Last edited by rhjanes; 08-16-2018 at 21:48.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Images
    This is only about 18C an oz, compared to Sawyer's more like 63 cents per oz. Pretty good for pre-mixed and advertized for clothes. Amazon has it Prime shipping same price. In fact, I just ordered some.

"Can be sprayed on luggage and clothing"
    J T Eaton 209-W1G Kills Bedbugs, Ticks and Mosquitoes Water Based Spray with Sprayer Attachment, 1-Gallon

4.4 out of 5 stars 55 customer reviews
    $23.50
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-16-2018 at 21:29.

Hammock
    Currently using DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    Silpoly DIY HEX
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    All
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    good to know. However, i always use gloves and wring it out, than hang up to dry. in a Texas summer, that takes 30 minutes. In a 5 gallon bucket with a gallon of solution, I treated a hammock, two pairs of pants, a few shirts and about 8 pairs of socks, and had solution left.
    For sure, that's better coverage too. I did not do my hammock and bug net this year, probably a mistake but we'll see. BTW I still wore nitrile gloves and a respirator.

Hammock
    Chameleon, Hammeck Envy-S, Amok,
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    CBs or whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    This is only about 18C an oz, compared to Sawyer's more like 63 cents per oz. Pretty good for pre-mixed and advertized for clothes. Amazon has it Prime shipping same price. In fact, I just ordered some.

"Can be sprayed on luggage and clothing"
    J T Eaton 209-W1G Kills Bedbugs, Ticks and Mosquitoes Water Based Spray with Sprayer Attachment, 1-Gallon

4.4 out of 5 stars 55 customer reviews
    $23.50
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice find. Thanks! The last two Sawyer spray bottles I have had haven't sprayed anyway. I had to transfer it to another spray bottle. This is cheaper and looks like the spryaer if better.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to use it in a fruit salad.

Hammock
    DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardAngler View Post
    For sure, that's better coverage too. I did not do my hammock and bug net this year, probably a mistake but we'll see. BTW I still wore nitrile gloves and a respirator.
    I used PVC gloves, but not a respirator. When it was diluted, the smell and fumes were not strong. I had a fan going in the garage to help dry my clothing. It took awhile because the humidity was so darn high. I let my socks air dry and it took a couple of days. The uniforms came out fine.

So far, I’ve been bit once behind the ear. Other than that, I call it a success. Before, and especially in the mornings, if I don’t spray myself down with deet, I would get a minimum of six to ten bites from mosquitoes. Since the permethrin soak, and the picaridin lotion, it’s been zero to one bite (could have used better coverage around my neck/head area).

I am very happy with the results so far. So my mix is 2gal water, subtract 13oz of water from it, and replace with 13oz of permethrin.
    Mix, soak, wring out, drip dry.

Oh, one thing. I dipped my shemaghs in the solution and used them as sweat rags. Since the dip, I did not wash them, but they were completely dry. During the mid day, I was sweating like a waterfall. I used the shemagh to wipe my forehead and I felt a tingling sensation. Almost like menthol, but without the cooling effect. Not sure if it was related to the soak, or lack of hydration. I did not have any other reaction with the rest of my uniforms/clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234