Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

I finally did it...yay

After a long struggle with sleeping in a hammock, I believe I've finally turned the corner.

I've tried hammock camping before but, gave up after more than a dozen sleepless nights. I sold the hammock and went back to my tent. After many uncomfortable nights on the ground at Boy Scout summer camp, I pulled out my wife's hammock, which I stowed away just in case, and set it up. After a decent night in it, I came home and decided to try again, and started ordering gear.

Two days ago, I woke up at 3 am (in my bed) but, couldn't fall back asleep. At 4, I grabbed my quilt and climbed into my new hammock which was hanging in the back yard without a bug net or fly. I managed another hour of sleep before waking up to watch a sunrise.

Last night, with a few modifications to my setup, I decided to sleep in my hammock again. I type this now, more than hour after day break, still very comfortably hanging in my backyard after a pretty darn good night of sleep. I got up a few times to use the restroom but, didn't toss and turn like I would in a tent or bed.

Hopefully this is the beginning of many successful nights in a hammock because I'd love to stay off the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Congratulations. Your persistence seems to have started to pay off. What problems were you having? I'm sure the experts on this forum can help you as much as they have helped me.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Congrats! So glad you're finding your way...I'm a newbie with just a day use hammock trying to figure out what to buy for my first camping hammock. Hope to see you post again on your continued use as it's encouragement for us who are still getting ready to take the leap.
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Congrats! So glad you're finding your way...I'm a newbie with just a day use hammock trying to figure out what to buy for my first camping hammock. Hope to see you post again on your continued use as it's encouragement for us who are still getting ready to take the leap.
    Check out his other threads.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    Congratulations. Your persistence seems to have started to pay off. What problems were you having? I'm sure the experts on this forum can help you as much as they have helped me.

Sent from my SM-T378V using Tapatalk
    I haven't been able to get comfortable in a hammock. I typically toss and turn and roll and toss some more in a bed. It kind of my routine but, I can't quite do that in a hammock. I also had some minor issues with setting up the new hammock, changing the bug net on the Chameleon gave me more room.

I am using an inflatable sleeping pad in the hammock this time. That was wonderfully comfortable plus it eliminated the issues with the calf ridge. That alone is pure gold.

The experts all have different advise based on their personal experiences. Collectively it's been quite helpful though there is only so much that reading an internet forum can do. I have to sort through all of the advise and see what works.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used to have a hard time getting a good night's sleep in my hammock. Then about four years ago, I injured my back. It was a pretty serious strain, and I couldn't sleep at all in a bed. So I hung a hammock in my office, and slept in that hammock for three months until my back healed.

I still like my bed, but I'll always spend a night or two in my hammock before I go on a camping trip, just to get re-acclimated.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 07-29-2018 at 12:53.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Glad to hear that you have potentially turned the corner. The first night in any new sleeping system, room, location (hotel, dorm, etc) is a "light sleep" night. I sleep like a rock in my full-time hammock at home, but when I go camping, the first night's rest (in the same hammock as my home hammock) is never as sound as the second and third nights. I invited a friend to a fishing/camping trip this weekend, but he had never slept overnight in a hammock before. After the first night, he said he was comfortable, but kept waking up. On the second night after a 12-hour stint of fishing in the sun and waves, he woke up only once for a nature call and even overslept the alarm to head out for more fishing. He might be a convert to the hammock-side of humanity. I left my traditional bed and mattress cold turkey about 1.5 years ago and haven't looked back. I take my Tato stand when I travel to friends and relatives and look forward to trying a Tensahedron stand in the future. Learn everything you can about finding the sweet spot for the particular hammock model you own and keep experimenting. You'll know when you have arrived.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hummingbird Heron
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hummingbird Straps
    Glad to hear you've turned a corner! I took me a bit to get used to my setup, but once I did I sleep great.

What’s cool is that first night you sleep all the way to sunup
    That’s what got me addicted

It usually takes a night or two to adjust to sleeping in my hammock and it always seems that just when I'm dialed in, the trip is over. I got lucky on my 4 day 3 night trip last weekend: I slept great and only had to get up once or twice to water the trees, due to beer intake....Otherwise, I would have made it all night.

Persistence is the key and don't give up trying to get comfortable. Once your body "learns", it's just as easy to get a good nights sleep as it is at home.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast