Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Spider/poly strap failures reported

I had some slippage when I tested my Beetles upon receipt. I attribute it to user error... I figured I must have had them set up incorrectly. I use them now with the hook "pointing" toward the loop ends of the straps. When I wrap my tree or post, I thread the free end of the strap through the loop and cinch it up. If I'm holding the free end of the strap, the hook side of the Beetle is pointing away from me, toward the tree. That way, when I attach my hammock, the entire buckle (its two components together) flips 180 degrees toward the hammock and prohibits any movement of the strap in the buckle.

I don't know if this is correct. I don't recall there being an instruction card in the package... but it works for me.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' single Hexon1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ WD11
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    DW Cinch Buckle
    Instructions? Men don't read instructions!

That is why there are always parts left over after doing the toy builds on Christmas eve.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    AHE 3S New River
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    It’ll slip if you don’t have the spider oriented correctly, thethe free end of the strap needs to becoming out on top of the other part of the strap.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I looked and did not find a recent thread with pictures of strap in buckle. One pix shows correct direction of strap through buckle and other pix shows incorrect direction of strap through buckle.

It looked like straps were going same path through buckle EXCEPT in opposite direction
    Could this have been why straps slipped and frayed? Can’t tell by looking at pix posted on this thread—-if strap was threaded backwards through strap? Hey, stuff happens—-good luck on going again.
    This is the thread on FB that I pulled the image from. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1985...9770607075348/

The OP did happen to mention in there somewhere that he had hung it "especially tight", so that could've been a contributing factor. I'm no physics expert though, so that assumption may be way off. Haha
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Quote Originally Posted by ADKGuy View Post
    It’ll slip if you don’t have the spider oriented correctly, thethe free end of the strap needs to becoming out on top of the other part of the strap.
    I don’t understand this. The strap goes in the top and out the bottom - unlike on other buckles, the strap doesn’t double back. I made a mistake the first time, but when it slipped, I looked at the directions. The Amsteel loop hanging from it is what locks the strap. That is what is cool about the spiders - easier to adjust because strap doesn’t double back through.
    8776DF8B-648D-4089-B28D-762D30B766A2.jpg

I find most instructions to be more confusing than helpful, being about 90% warnings, but the Dutch instructions are simple and to the point with great drawings.
    Last edited by DrPhun; 07-29-2018 at 15:00.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    I don’t understand this. The strap goes in the top and out the bottom - unlike on other buckles, the strap doesn’t double back. I made a mistake the first time, but when it slipped, I looked at the directions. The Amsteel loop hanging from it is what locks the strap. That is what is cool about the spiders - easier to adjust because strap doesn’t double back through.

I find most instructions to be more confusing than helpful, being about 90% warnings, but the Dutch instructions are simple and to the point with great drawings.
    ADK was talking about Beetles with Spider/poly webbing and you have Spiders.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    This is the thread on FB that I pulled the image from. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1985...9770607075348/

The OP did happen to mention in there somewhere that he had hung it "especially tight", so that could've been a contributing factor. I'm no physics expert though, so that assumption may be way off. Haha
    There's the answer. Solution: Don't use a too-shallow hangle and blame it on the gear.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post

I gave up using my spiders with regular straps shortly after I bought them, since the straps had a tendency to bunch up on either side of the spider. No matter how hard I tried to keep the amsteel loop and strap centered on the spider, it just wouldn't cooperate. Straps, whoopies and toggles are my go to suspension, and for me, the simplest solution.

Hammock
    Eldorado SL 1.6 D-T
    Tarp
    Cuben W/doors
    Insulation
    20 Enigma/20 Wooki
    Suspension
    Beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I gave up using my spiders with regular straps shortly after I bought them, since the straps had a tendency to bunch up on either side of the spider. No matter how hard I tried to keep the amsteel loop and strap centered on the spider, it just wouldn't cooperate. Straps, whoopies and toggles are my go to suspension, and for me, the simplest solution.
    Mine "bunch" as well. The Amsteel sits on the middle bar of the Spider with the straps all mashed up between the Amsteel. I figured this was normal under load and haven't worried about it. Am I wrong in thinking that? It hasn't caused any problems as of yet.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMS210 View Post
    Mine "bunch" as well. The Amsteel sits on the middle bar of the Spider with the straps all mashed up between the Amsteel. I figured this was normal under load and haven't worried about it. Am I wrong in thinking that? It hasn't caused any problems as of yet.
    Sounds about right. I have used Venom and Myerstech and have seen Spiders in use, and they all bunch up like that. Less so with Myerstech, and it is easier to flatten it back out. Right after I got the Venoms I commented that they handle more like a cord than a strap, so other than flattening out the section that goes around the tree I don't bother to flatten the whole thing out after each use... it's just a waste of time and effort.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast