Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

A plethora of details.. a few questions

Hi all,
    I'm a frequent day hiker and rare tent camper who would like to do more overnighting, but with a bad back, it's always a physical sacrifice. I require OTC pain killers during and after, and a few days recovery, even to get back to my "Normal" pain level.

Due to sooo many low back pain sufferers saying good things about hammocks, I am looking into this. I have just a leisure hammock right now (Hobo Hammock) that I've laid in for reading/napping a few times and it's comfortable for that purpose, but I expect it would probably not do well for an overnight.

I am a side sleeper (left side), on the plump side (female, 5.5, 187#), and sleep cold (especially my feet). Just looked at the Warbonnets - blackbird would probably be fine for my size, but I love the features of the updated XLC (as little as I know about hammocks) - both sides zipper, tieouts in numerous configs., shelf, footbox... but I wonder if something this tall would be TOO big for me? Even my little hobo hammock (though it is a double) seems to practically engulf me without me trying

I'm also looking for a series of videos. I already subscribe to (and will be looking more closely at) Shugmery and the Ultimate Hang guy.. any other suggestions of regular hammockers that do good videos? Looking for a variety.. reviews, basics, more intermediate tips and tricks.. I'm on a learning kick

Thanks!
    Dawn in NJ

P.S. I'm a happy member of BCUSA if there are any friends here
    Last edited by NJHeart2Heart; 07-27-2018 at 08:31.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Getting off the ground and into a hammock should help immensely. You've experimented with a lounge hammock and survived so now move up to a higher end model. Use the google search function on upper right for more precise answers to choices, it speeds up the process. Keep an eye on the "for sale" section and you should find that higher end model within a few days.

Images
    Any hammock from the cottage vendors promoted here will make you happy. The length increases comfort, not weight capacity or space, so there is no such thing as too big. If you are backpacking, then you may opt for the smaller one for a tiny weight savings. But for the ounce or two difference, I would rather have the more comfortable model as comfort is the whole reason for opting into a hammock at all.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums.

I’m of the mind that an XLC length hammock would never be too long for comfort regardless of how short you are. I’ve had my wife and daughter (similar height to you) in my XLC and they have been fine.
    They’ve also slept in our regular WBBB so I expect they’d let me know if the WBBB was way more comfortable.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    We have to get together at one of the meetups Dawn. I have extras you can try out.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    Hi all,

I am a side sleeper (left side), on the plump side (female, 5.5, 187#), and sleep cold (especially my feet). Just looked at the Warbonnets - blackbird would probably be fine for my size, but I love the features of the updated XLC (as little as I know about hammocks) - both sides zipper, tieouts in numerous configs., shelf, footbox... but I wonder if something this tall would be TOO big for me? Even my little hobo hammock (though it is a double) seems to practically engulf me without me trying

Thanks!
    Dawn in NJ

P.S. I'm a happy member of BCUSA if there are any friends here
    Hi NJ Dawn - Niagara here from BCUSA. Side sleeper also - its takes some time and usually a few hammocks to see what works for you. Start with a reasonable priced cottage vendor (plenty near you) and yes try to get to a local hang - good chance to see what calls you.
    Niagara

Hammock
    Walhalla
    Tarp
    Walhalla
    Insulation
    Trailheadz & JRB
    Suspension
    Birch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Niagara View Post
    Hi NJ Dawn - Niagara here from BCUSA. Side sleeper also - its takes some time and usually a few hammocks to see what works for you. Start with a reasonable priced cottage vendor (plenty near you) and yes try to get to a local hang - good chance to see what calls you.
    Niagara
    Dito this and georgecarr offer. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Last edited by RENDAWG; 07-27-2018 at 10:56. Reason: Spelling
    HANG WELL MY FRIENDS AND HANG IN THERE!

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Hey Dawn, good to see you here. We met at Wolfcri’s gathering down in Brendan Byrne SF. (And iirc just you being able to get there was an adventure)

For sure try out some hammocks. There is a gathering up your way in Oct. with plenty of gear, it’s at Jenny Jump SP.

If you think there is any chance you’ll be down south of Trenton for an adventure, could likely workout a meetup/demo of Warbonnet and a few other hammock types.

The tie out things, I don’t really use much any more, not even to tie out the shelf. They help a little with entry/exit, always having the fabric pulled out for you but then there’s the downside of tripping over the lines occasionally.

Zippers on both sides is handy but it wasn’t enough of a feature to make me stay with the new XLC vs the 1st gen XLC or Blackbird.

The footbox is nice on the Warbonnet hammocks with thoughtful design and reinforcement. That said, any gathered end hammock with a ridgeline and a knotty mod get you close to that and is typically more than satisfactory. Dutch’s Chameleon is another option and you can add featues like a sidecar (shelf like attachment) and loads of other accessories.

The side sleeping thing is a bit trickier, bridge hammock folks seem to have a better time with that. Me, I can sleep on my side for napping but usually migrate to my back for full on REM sleep.

The whole back thing was pretty amazing to me. My Doc warned me against using a hammock due to about a dozen spinal related injuries. I did it anyway and am glad I did. Everyone is different, each medical situation unique so use your best judgement and all I can share is my story. I actually use my hammock as part of the therapy for my back.

Videos?
    Professor Hammock
    Spiguyver
    JohnsPenn

It’s been a while since I’ve spent any time on BCUSA but I’ll pop back over and keep an eye on any upcoming gatherings.

Cheers and don’t heaitate to mention if you’ll be in the area, plenty of hammock options for you.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Hey Dawn,

I am a lurker on BCUSA so have seen your posts. My recommendation is to show up at the October MAHHA. Here is your LINK. There are a number of the vendors there but they don't sell their wares. I am betting you could preview a LOT of different hammocks there. In fact, that is where I met George at so perhaps you could hook up. Don't worry if you are ground sleeping. There will be a number of tents there.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore. There are quite a few of us who frequent the Pine Barrens - we just went out last week for the second 5th Annual Blueberry Hang. There are also group hangs coming up in November and January. There will be plenty of hammocks to see.

I, too, gave up camping in tents due to back issues. Then, about eight years ago, a friend invited me to go on a week-long canoe trip to the Adirondacks with his brother. I said no, thanks. No way my back could take a week of sleeping on the ground! My friend said, "I'm not sleeping on the ground. I have a camping hammock." I had never heard of a camping hammock. Within a week I had a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip, and was amazed at how well I slept.

The Hennessy is the most uncomfortable hammock I've ever slept in, but it was still better than sleeping on the ground! I soon moved to simple, gathered-end hammocks and Fronkey bugnets. I like that they have no defined lay (head left-feet right or head right-feet left), and there are no zippers. I'm just not fond of zippers.

I also have a Dutch Chameleon I won in a raffle. It has zippers, but you can remove the top cover or bugnet entirely. The Chameleon also doesn't have a defined lay. My beagle Joey really likes the Chameleon - he has to have a hammock with integrated bugnet/topcover, or he'll just run off. Joey needs zippers, so I've adapted.

So if no dog is involved, I'd recommend starting with a simple, gathered-end hammock. They can be cheap - I have four or five hammocks I made from tablecloths that are quite cheap ($8 to $12) and quite comfy. Add a Fronkey bugnet and you're covered for all seasons (assuming you buy the proper insulation).

https://tableclothsfactory.com/colle...le-tablecloths

You can get the Fronkey bugnet at http://www.buttinasling.com or dutchwaregear.com.

By keeping costs down on the hammock/bugnet, that gives you more money for a decent tarp. Good weather protection is more important than the hammock, if you ask me. It took me a couple of years to buy a decent tarp - I thought a good tarp should cost $20, so now I have a closetful of inadequate $20 tarps. I'd recommend you just spend the $90 to $140 and get the real thing.

The next most important thing is good insulation. You can start out with a ccf pad, but underquilts are much more comfortable. You can also use a sleeping bag as a topquilt, but topquilts are pretty cool- no zippers!

Good luck!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast