Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Any word on a Dutchware tarp for double hammock?

Has anyone heard rumor of any new tarp offerings from Dutchware? I am strongly considering picking up the double dutch bugnet for my wife and myself. It would be very cool if there were a tarp specifically designed for that setup. It seems the consensus now is that a good rectangular tarp would work, but I am sure that Dutch's workshop elves could design something specifically for the double hang. Maybe a basic rectangle, but flared some towards the head to account for the head spreader bar? Or maybe a little wider than standard so you can hang it higher but still get good side coverage? It seems like the next logical offering from Dutchware, but maybe I am just projecting. Thoughts?
    Homer: Sir, I need to know where I can get some business hammocks.

Hank Scorpio: Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I need this so bad, I have had it on my todo list for some time now. Tomorrow I am visiting a sewing machine engineer to look at some new tarp making sewing machines. This will expand out tarp making abilities.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Had some delays but in about 2 more weeks I'll show and tell a design that I've been working on that will do just what you are hoping for. Stay tuned...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dynamystic; 07-27-2018 at 11:15.
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamystic View Post
    Had some delays but in about 2 more weeks I'll show and tell a design that I've been working on that will do just what you are hoping for. Stay tuned...

Two weeks!!!

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    This was a tarp I made for someone a while ago. He wanted a tarp that he could hang above two people, double Dutch style. It's essentially an XL fabric on each side and a wedge at the top. It made one palacial tarp, especially when the pullouts were used. A spreader bar was used in Beastee Dees at the wide end to spread those sides out a bit wider. The pictures aren't the greatest because it was a pretty windy day when I set it up for the pictures. The two hammocks aren't quite douvle dutch setup. They're only separated by the width of the tree, but they do work double dutch.

Long View.jpg

Hammock View.jpg

Ridgelione Tieout.jpg

Spread bar.jpg

In case you were looking for ideas, Dutch.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Two weeks!!!
    I'm serious this time! To prove it, here's a sneak peek. I was trying to save it for when the design was finalized but i can't read one more thread post about the need for a fly to accomodate Dutch's double chameleon setup.

Built for solo or tandem use, this is an older version of my DIY DynaFly. I'm working out the last few kinks with a slight redesign I've been working on and everything is coming together better than I could have imagined. I realistically have about 2 weeks left until the new one is built and I have some pics and vids for a new thread introduction to show it off and see what folks think. That said, I won't be answering any questions until I've started an official dedicated thread. I'll be doing a thorough writeup so stay tuned. Let this post simply prove that there is in fact something coming and I'm not just full of hot air. Well, not entirely full anyways... ;-)

FYI, that is Dutch's Chameleon setup with Enlightened Equipment quilts under the DynaFly in the pics.

Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    Has anyone heard rumor of any new tarp offerings from Dutchware? I am strongly considering picking up the double dutch bugnet for my wife and myself. It would be very cool if there were a tarp specifically designed for that setup.
    As for rumors, I can confirm that Dutch really has had the mythical "tandem tarp" on his todo list for a while but any more than that you'll have to wait for him to reveal. I expect it to be very cool indeed!

on the Double Dutch Bugnet, although you'll need a pair of Chameleons (or compatible - you can convert a Dutch 11' Netless by adding the zipper if you're handy and patient) to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    It seems the consensus now is that a good rectangular tarp would work, but I
    am sure that Dutch's workshop elves could design something specifically for the double hang. Maybe a basic rectangle, but flared some towards the head to account for the head spreader bar? Or maybe a little wider than standard so you can hang it higher but still get good side coverage? It seems like the next logical offering from Dutchware, but maybe I am just projecting. Thoughts?
    A big enough tarp can work, but it isn't ideal. Finding one long enough isn't too bad (plenty of of 12 foot centerlines out there) but getting it wide enough for the head end to cover both hammocks well is challenging unless you start looking at general purpose (as opposed to hammock specific) tarps. I've tried a few with my son and we stayed dry. I'm waiting for Dutch to come out with the "right" tarp for tandem setup before I risk trying to get my wife to join me.

If you're going to try and cover it with a normal tarp, be careful to leave enough room so that you don't damage the tarp when the spreader bar "rocks" as people get in and out of the hammocks. There's a way to reduce that some - check out this thread for more info. Still tweaking the concept, but it works.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    I'm serious this time! To prove it, here's a sneak peek. I was trying to save it for when the design was finalized but i can't read one more thread post about the need for a fly to accomodate Dutch's double chameleon setup. ...
    Wow. That's certainly different - and it looks like a better solution than anything I've seen so far for a Dutch tandem setup. Think I might have to make one of these once your design is finished.

Just a side note for other readers - the tandem spreader bar setup isn't only for Chameleons (I've tried it with various combinations of a Chameleon Wide, a WBBB XLC, Dutch Netless 11'rs, and some DIY hammocks). That said, it's really hard to beat a pair of Chameleons with a Double Dutch Bugnet.

... this is an older version of my DIY DynaFly. ...
    Looked up your original The Dynafly is Born thread - unfortunately none of the pictures are showing up

That said, I won't be answering any questions until I've started an official dedicated thread.
    (biting lip) I'll try to avoid bothering you too much until then...

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    Wow. That's certainly different - and it looks like a better solution than anything I've seen so far for a Dutch tandem setup. Think I might have to make one of these once your design is finished.
    Thanks! I'm really excited about it. I wasn't originally intending for the DynaFly to be a tandem hang solution but when the Chameleon came out, I started playing with it tandem style and was very pleasantly surprised to find that it was a great fit for the design. I can't wait to show her off full monty! Soon...

Looked up your original The Dynafly is Born thread - unfortunately none of the pictures are showing up
    Sorry about that. That is an OLD thread from my first prototype (1.0) back when I was first learning to sew. This one in the pics is version 4.2. I'll have to dig through the computer archives and find the old pics to repost. Thanks for the heads up.

(biting lip) I'll try to avoid bothering you too much until then...
    And thanks again. I appreciate your enthusiasm but I have a lot of work to do in the next couple weeks and I anticipate most folks' questions will be answered in the formal introduction anyways. Until then...
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

I think kitsapcowboy, who has a number of instructional article's on Dutch's site, developed a tarp that is suitable for a pair of hammocks. He's done so many great designs that I can't recall the name of the tarp. It seems that an internal pole (or two) could make all the difference in having enough room under a reasonably sized tarp. It certainly would be a possibility for a DIY project for those in need. Plans, specs, and instructions are out there somewhere in the forum, not sure if it's on Dutch's site.

Maybe he'll jump in to refresh my memory (?) Batwing? Bat Tangle?

(I know a lot of folks use the word tandem for the two hammock set-up. Tandem would actually be end-to-end. Now THAT would be a big tarp and awesome suspension. "Team" is the correct term for side-by-side. That said, I doubt I'll have any effect whatsoever on the terminology folks use!)
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-29-2018 at 07:46.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast