Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    It’s clearly a high demand item. I’m surprised we don’t have a lot of these kind of options out there already!

I’m curious, is the idea of hanging like this really a recent innovation? It’s just interesting to me because it’s seems like one of those no-brainer ideas that you would have thought we’d think of a long time ago!

Hammock
    Chameleon, Halfwit
    Tarp
    DIY DynaFly
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UQ,
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    (I know a lot of folks use the word tandem for the two hammock set-up. Tandem would actually be end-to-end. Now THAT would be a big tarp and awesome suspension. "Team" is the correct term for side-by-side. That said, I doubt I'll have any effect whatsoever on the terminology folks use!)
    Good point. Consider my terminology adjusted. :-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Be what Is to Become
    Become what Is to Be
    Make the Future
    Given Thee...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    I think kitsapcowboy developed a tarp that is suitable for a pair of hammocks. ... Maybe he'll jump in to refresh my memory (?) Batwing? Bat Tangle?
    I actually have a tarp made to KC's Cat Tangle design, which is my current favorite for hanging solo and is currently the best hammock specific tarp I have for a spreader bar two hammock setup. But it's not really wide enough on the head end to be ideal for two - any design with a center seam would need to (at least) use something like Xenon wide.
    (I know a lot of folks use the word tandem for the two hammock set-up. Tandem would actually be end-to-end. Now THAT would be a big tarp and awesome suspension. "Team" is the correct term for side-by-side. That said, I doubt I'll have any effect whatsoever on the terminology folks use!)
    Interesting - I didn't know that. While tandem can be used for just a pair without implying an inline arrangement, that seems to be a less common usage. Team might be more geometrically appropriate in the context of harnessing, but can also be more than two and any side by side implication is a rare usage relative to the sport and cooperative group meanings.

Given the concept of two hammocks + spreader bar hanging side by side from the same tree, I suspect most people would be more likely to get the right idea from "tandem hang" than "team hang". But I could be wrong, and even if correct the dissonance between side by side arrangement and the predominantly inline implication of tandem is going to bug me now (thanks for that )

IMHO the ideal term would imply a quantity of two, side by side (not stacked), and perhaps a matching orientation (head to foot, but not necessarily left to right). It should be accurate without resorting to lesser used definitions. It should convey as much of this as possible to someone new to hanging. Haven't come up with anything so far.

"Twin" nails the quantity without implying much about arrangement, but suggests sameness. "Double" or "paired" might work, but none of these convey much about the relative arrangement of the hammocks.

I'm hesitant to consider acronyms or Humpty Dumpty definitions, as they make it harder on new readers, but having a precise and consistent term/phrase in use is better than ongoing ambiguity even if you have to look it up the first time.

While I still like tandem, you've got me thinking we can do better. You might end up having more impact than you expected...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    TBD...
    Insulation
    XLC Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Dutch Bl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I’m curious, is the idea of hanging like this really a recent innovation? It’s just interesting to me because it’s seems like one of those no-brainer ideas that you would have thought we’d think of a long time ago!
    I think it's been around for a while, but as a fairly small niche. Seems to be getting more popular lately, but that might be observation bias on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by James Fowler View Post
    I actually have a tarp made to KC's Cat Tangle design, which is my current favorite for hanging solo and is currently the best hammock specific tarp I have for a spreader bar two hammock setup. But it's not really wide enough on the head end to be ideal for two - any design with a center seam would need to (at least) use something like Xenon wide.

IMHO the ideal term would imply a quantity of two, side by side (not stacked), and perhaps a matching orientation (head to foot, but not necessarily left to right). It should be accurate without resorting to lesser used definitions. It should convey as much of this as possible to someone new to hanging. Haven't come up with anything so far.

"Twin" nails the quantity without implying much about arrangement, but suggests sameness. "Double" or "paired" might work, but none of these convey much about the relative arrangement of the hammocks.

While I still like tandem, you've got me thinking we can do better. You might end up having more impact than you expected...

I understand the Bat Tangle gets the job done pretty well. Again, a DIY option.

I mourn the lack of precision in language in modern times. I read a lot. Can't tell you how many times I've read where an author has described someone being nauseous rather than nauseated! Many other examples, but I digress.

I like your suggestion of "paired" . "Twin" and "double" could easily be interpreted as a single hammock for two.

Yes, "teamed" certainly evokes images of horses or oxen but the term is actually used in a number of places. And believe it or not, there are people whom hitch a pair of horses in tandem to pull a carriage. It's pretty cool to see.

To get back on track, I think a tarp to accommodate two hammock probably ought to be able to handle two hammocks, side-by-side, whether they are "facing" the same direction or not. A tarp specifically designed to cover two hammocks with a spreader bar would be an incredibly specialized piece of equipment, but then, so are all the other bits that comprise that setup.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Mule tape Becket h
    Anyone have any new designs for a tarp for side-by-side hammocks?
    Dutch, any tarp ideas coming from your creative shop?
    Grace
    Last edited by thral001; 06-03-2019 at 10:16. Reason: correct addressee

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    We are waiting on new material to make a sweet wide tarp for side by side. It is being woven right now. It has been a long process.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    We are waiting on new material to make a sweet wide tarp for side by side. It is being woven right now. It has been a long process.
    Will this fabric be a replacement for the Xenon Sil Wide? I noticed you haven't been restocking the fabric as it runs out.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    Will this fabric be a replacement for the Xenon Sil Wide? I noticed you haven't been restocking the fabric as it runs out.
    Yes it will, we have something incredible coming.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Images
    12' wide fabric with 10,000 mm hydrostatic head, weighing 0.25 osy?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast