The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I like this thread.

I resisted the idea of using a knee pillow because it seemed like a hack that undermined the simplicity and elegance of a hammock. But I now realise how foolish it was to be hung up on an aesthetic ideal when a simple, cheap hack totally fixes calf-ridge problems. Hooray for hacks.

A BIG knee pillow also fixes numb heel problems for me. A smaller knee pillow doesn't, but still works for calf-ridge.

Thank you leiavoia.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I like this thread.

I resisted the idea of using a knee pillow because it seemed like a hack that undermined the simplicity and elegance of a hammock. But I now realise how foolish it was to be hung up on an aesthetic ideal when a simple, cheap hack totally fixes calf-ridge problems. Hooray for hacks.

A BIG knee pillow also fixes numb heel problems for me. A smaller knee pillow doesn't, but still works for calf-ridge.

Thank you leiavoia.
    I'm with you on that. All I can think of after all these years of searching for a consistent solution or the perfect hammock is: why bother? In fact, since this hack cures quite a number of issues besides calf ridge, and actually improves over all comfort in any hammock, it is going to be a normal go to from now on. If everything is fine I might not bother, but if there is a hint of "not quite right" I will be putting some air in a bag and placing it under my knees.

Often people talk about the ability of this or that hammock to allow them to get a good diagonal. I'm thinking I might not need any diagonal at all with a good sized knee pillow, and certainly a bit more will be of no advantage to me. The main purpose of diagonal is to escape the banana curve and get flatter to avoid knee extension. (which is also what ends up causing calf ridge, trying to lay across that center ridge on the diagonal) But with a good sized knee pillow, there is not going to be any knee extension no matter how you lay.

It positions my foot away from the hammock, which is sometimes a pressure point.

Sometimes UQs or HHSS fall away from my left leg(when head is left and feet are right) leaving a cool or cold gap. With this hack, there is no compression of my TQs loft on either leg, just at the feet. Plus, especially if I put a jacket in there, I pick up extra insulation between butt and knees.

Side sleeping seems more comfy with this pillow between my thighs. It can give more back support when using the hammock as a chair.

Probably a few other advantages.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

It’s the dog-knee pillow.
    Keeps you warm while elevating the knees.
    Only downside is the 1 lb of food to feed it and you may get bitten for trying this.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D

Most GE problems may now be solved, shout out to leiavoia for reminding me of old trick

I’m happy with my gathered end 12x6
    It ain’t for everybody
    Bigger tarp
    Bigger pack
    Calf ridge pressure CRP, knee hyper extension, curved inward outside ankle-foot scrunch
    All Virtually Nonexistent

Knee pillow is a good idea
    Great minds find a way

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I'm one stubborn SOB. I don't like to tweak, trick, mod, ignore, add-on, etc. If it doesn't work out of the box, there's a good chance I'll write it off. Not always, but usually. I just can't accept "knee pillows", "triangle thingies", "quilt clips", on and on. Not only do I feel them to be unnecessary, but I don't want any extra cost, hassle, weight, bulk, clutter, stuff to mess with. I'll admit I've had my fair share of struggles, but fortunately they're long gone.

Everyone is different, using different hammocks, different setups. But after I spent some time dialing things in and making a simple, lightweight, 10.5' and 11' GE hammock work, life was good.

On another note, I've found myself "creating" issues while testing at home. For some reason, when I just gave up and went hiking, none of those issues appeared out in the woods. I don't know if it was the actual setup, or just me overthinking things at home.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I'm one stubborn SOB. I don't like to tweak, trick, mod, ignore, add-on, etc. If it doesn't work out of the box, there's a good chance I'll write it off. Not always, but usually. I just can't accept "knee pillows", "triangle thingies", "quilt clips", on and on. Not only do I feel them to be unnecessary, but I don't want any extra cost, hassle, weight, bulk, clutter, stuff to mess with. I'll admit I've had my fair share of struggles, but fortunately they're long gone.

Everyone is different, using different hammocks, different setups. But after I spent some time dialing things in and making a simple, lightweight, 10.5' and 11' GE hammock work, life was good.

On another note, I've found myself "creating" issues while testing at home. For some reason, when I just gave up and went hiking, none of those issues appeared out in the woods. I don't know if it was the actual setup, or just me overthinking things at home.
    We all tend to overthink things at times...or maybe we don't...but we probably do...or not I guess...ugh! I don't really know anymore.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’m happy with my gathered end 12x6
    It ain’t for everybody
    Bigger tarp
    Bigger pack
    Calf ridge pressure CRP, knee hyper extension, curved inward outside ankle-foot scrunch
    All Virtually Nonexistent

Knee pillow is a good idea
    Great minds find a way
    Bigger tarp, bigger pack, but you're a bigger dude. I feel the same way. I'm 6'6" 260. If I was really concerned about saving 8 oz I'd skip taco tuesday. haha.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Bigger tarp, bigger pack, but you're a bigger dude. I feel the same way. I'm 6'6" 260. If I was really concerned about saving 8 oz I'd skip taco tuesday. haha.
    ha!! Never thought about it that way! If I lose weight on my BODY.. that's less weight I have to worry about carrying in my pack. Seems obvious I guess, but still.. the way you put it just made me say OHHHH!
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    ha!! Never thought about it that way! If I lose weight on my BODY.. that's less weight I have to worry about carrying in my pack. Seems obvious I guess, but still.. the way you put it just made me say OHHHH!
    Same here. Sometimes I find myself jumping thru hoops trying to save an oz or two, then I think about that extra 20 lbs I carry around all day!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Fortress
    Insulation
    Too many to list
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks for the advice!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast