Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Digging up an old thread.
    one question on making a synthetic Wooki (Climashield)

When sewing the climashield and outer shell to the "Top Shell", do you lay the top shell flat to sew it together? or scrunch the ends like it would be once hung?
    I imagine you lay it flat and sew it all together. But then when you "whip" the ends of the Wooki, then the climashield and outer shell get "scrunched up",, causing problems with the insulation??

Thanks for any insite,
    Slack
    The insulation is sewn flat to the top (long) shell piece. The "scrunching up" is the desired effect you're after using a "wookie style" quilt. The insulation needs to change shape along with the hammock and will be pulled up into the lines of the hammock including any "calf ridge". Look for pics of a regular wookie spread out flat.

The only downside to using climashield is it can sag a bit in the middle if you're not fully stretched out. This is because there is no baffle holding the outer shell to the inner shell in the middle.

This is the pic of the final product we made. In this pic his feet are hanging off the edge of the hammock which caused a deep calf ridge. You can see how the quilt it sucked up into the folds of the hammock.
    IMG_20180917_100241.jpg IMG_20180917_100254.jpg

I also ended up cutting up my own climashield quilt that had a clew suspension and converting it. Weighs a bit more, but is much simpler.
    Last edited by jabraso; 04-21-2020 at 10:23.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I did cut the carrier fabric (inner shell) like a hammock, and sewed the Apex and the outer shell flat on it. On the head end, I used a channel to cinch it up and hang it under the hammock - after the quilt was finished. On the foot end I like to whip my quilts, to pull the sides a bit more up. It's basically an insulated hammock. If I had used a stronger fabric, I could have used it as a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    The only downside to using climashield is it can sag a bit in the middle if you're not fully stretched out. This is because there is no baffle holding the outer shell to the inner shell in the middle.
    That sounds like you got the layers uneven. At least I did not observe any sagging with my Climashield Wooki clones. The outer shell should hold the insulation in place.

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    That sounds like you got the layers uneven. At least I did not observe any sagging with my Climashield Wooki clones. The outer shell should hold the insulation in place.
    It's possible something wasn't even. I was more concerned with keeping the insulation from being pulled tight or squished between the two layers so I kept the outer shell a bit looser. It only sags less than 1/2in in a small area in the very middle and only if you curl up in a more fetal position. I haven't slept in it since the mod but i'm confident it'll perform just fine.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    You could always put in some (tied) quilting to avoid the sag

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12