Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Combined my NAMA Claws and some LineLoc3 hooks on my CRL...

This afternoon I was messing around with a new tarp and trying to figure out what hardware to use to tie back doors and attach the tarp to the CRL. I have a bunch of extra LineLoc3 hooks with more on the way (always check your spare hardware bag before ordering), and I'm using NAMA Claws on my ridgeline. My tarp has 1" Beastee-D rings at the ridgeline, and I was trying to figure out how to mate the two up. My first thought was just to use small split rings. I've done that before, and it'll probably work fine... but they're in the Dutchware order with the extra LineLoc3s and HTH. So I wondered if there were another way using what I have sitting around.

I wasn't scared of breaking a couple of LineLocs for the sake of experimentation, and I know the NAMA Claws are plenty robust, so I just gripped the pair with a Leatherman and snapped them together. The result was a broken plastic piece on the LineLoc3 hook (as shown in 1st photo), but otherwise a very sturdy connection that maintains full range of motion for the NAMA Claw. I'm sure I could do a much cleaner job with a Dremel, but I don't have one nearby.

I haven't tried stringing up the tarp with this yet, but it if it works it'll be a secure and easy way to connect and disconnect my tarp from the CRL.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why not just tie a small loop of Zing-it to the D-rings on your tarp, and connect those to the Nama Claws?

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

I've seen that done, but I've never used just a loop from the grosgrain to the Claw. I think this is a more positive connection.

I think cordage will cause wear on the grosgrain where hardware won't, at least not as badly. And I've already got the Beastee-D ring there...

If I don't like this once it's set up, I'll just go back to using split rings.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I thought you had Beastie D rings on ends of your tarp. You can tie the zing-it loop to those, not the grosgrain itself. And then run the loop through the Nama claw. If you did do a cord-to-grosgrain connection, I would suggest larksheading the loop to the grosgrain. That way it cannot slide around and wear down the grosgrain.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I do have the rings, yes. But I still like hardware rather than cordage going to the NAMA Claw. Cordage is floppy and can come out of the Claw when not under tension. Split rings have a nice "snap," and so do the LineLocs.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I see. Let us know how it works for you!

Hammock
    Dutchwear Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    HammockGear Palace
    Insulation
    Mamba, UGQ under
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beetles
    I never heard of the claws until now. Those are SWEET!!! I just ordered 20 of them because they are so cheap and the way my luck usually runs is when I find something I really like, they sell out or stop making them. I was just playing with my tarp yesterday and trying to come up with a better way. I HATE having lines running all over the place and although I consider myself to be well versed in knot making, I'm finding myself wanting to simplify more. Who know! Usually when stuff like this happens I end up going full circle! The ride is fun though and it keeps you thinking.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I ended up just getting a couple of Dutch's 3/4" titanium split rings to go between the NAMA Claws and my tarp ridgeline tieouts. They don't return to shape as well as the steel ones, but they're light and they're the right size.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    I ended up just getting a couple of Dutch's 3/4" titanium split rings to go between the NAMA Claws and my tarp ridgeline tieouts. They don't return to shape as well as the steel ones, but they're light and they're the right size.
    I was thinking of doing the same thing. So the titanium rings from Dutch deform and stay that way?!
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 07-31-2018 at 11:39.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

This is my first experience with titanium split rings, so I'm not calling out Dutch's specifically. I put them on 1/2" and 1" Beastee-Ds. I did the 1" first, and after the ring split stayed open on the first attempt, I installed the rest as quickly as possible to try not to bend them. On the four 1/2" rings I put them on, they all went back to original shape. On both 1" Beastee-Ds, their "split" widened a bit after installation.

Maybe they've got some memory that'll return them to their original shape after some time in the stuff sack. I considered applying heat to them for maybe two seconds before imagining my tarp in melty scraps of silpoly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast