Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner

Hammock Camping can get Expensive with Three People

I just wanted to throw this out there, whine a little, and see who else has gone through this sort of experience.

Providing equipment for 3 people is getting pricey, myself and 2 sons and or wife. Last year I bought 3 warbonnet hammocks. This year I bought 1 over quilt and 1 backpack. Other than that, we only have the basics like a camping stove, etc. I still need 2 over quilts to even hope to get a chance to get out there this year, say nothing about under quilts and tarps!

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Believe it or not I have talked to a lot of people who buy cheaper or diy their tq and uq and saved quite a bit of money. I have learned you dont have to buy the best of the best to be comfortable and have a good set up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Under/Topquilt
    I HEAR YOU! I have been backpacking for about a decade and I still don't have a nice lightweight set for me and my wife. 3 years ago I switched to hammocks and I barely have 2 sets. And now I have 2 kids that love to backpack....

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Figure what a 3 person vacation to Disneyworld or the likes cost. A standard three day beach vacation.
    With camping and hammocks...once you got the gear the vacation time is pretty affordable.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Figure what a 3 person vacation to Disneyworld or the likes cost. A standard three day beach vacation.
    With camping and hammocks...once you got the gear the vacation time is pretty affordable.

Shug
    Completely agree, although my wife still likes the expensive vacations in addition to camping.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I started hammock camping about eight years ago. I soon realized that I would like my three kids to be involved. At first, they got ccf pads, tablecloth hammocks, and Fronkey bugnets. Gradually, over the years, I ended up with three sets of quilts - 0*, 20* and 40* quilts. I also have plenty of tarps, most of which I didn't spend more than $20 on. I have an HH Hex, a DIY silnylon, an HG Winter Palace (definitely spent more than $20 on that!), and several other serviceable tarps.

For me, I didn't want to sour my kids on hammock camping because I tried to go cheap. Just one night of being soaked by rain, or freezing from inadequate insulation, and my kids would never have gone hammock camping with me again. Two of my kids have now graduated college - one lives in Denver and one in Boston. The other one is in his second year of college, so we don't get to go hammock camping much anymore. However, I'm proud that I introduced them to hammock camping, and I suspect that one day they will embrace it fully as they get older and the cold, hard ground just doesn't seem like an option.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Insulation
    Under/Topquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I started hammock camping about eight years ago. I soon realized that I would like my three kids to be involved. At first, they got ccf pads, tablecloth hammocks, and Fronkey bugnets. Gradually, over the years, I ended up with three sets of quilts - 0*, 20* and 40* quilts. I also have plenty of tarps, most of which I didn't spend more than $20 on. I have an HH Hex, a DIY silnylon, an HG Winter Palace (definitely spent more than $20 on that!), and several other serviceable tarps.

For me, I didn't want to sour my kids on hammock camping because I tried to go cheap. Just one night of being soaked by rain, or freezing from inadequate insulation, and my kids would never have gone hammock camping with me again. Two of my kids have now graduated college - one lives in Denver and one in Boston. The other one is in his second year of college, so we don't get to go hammock camping much anymore. However, I'm proud that I introduced them to hammock camping, and I suspect that one day they will embrace it fully as they get older and the cold, hard ground just doesn't seem like an option.
    Same here. Too my kids backpacking with hammocks for the first time a year ago (been backpacking on tents plenty of times). He was only 4. I used a cheap diy tarp that I set up poorly and the wind against the tarp kept us up all night. Ever since, whenever we go backpacking he asks if we can take the tent. Just two weeks ago I took them backpacking with The Hammocks again and made sure everything was set up nicely and also had better hand warmer gear. No complaints! He loved it and he can't wait to go again.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

It all just depends on how you do it. I've gotten my girls (4) hooked on hammocks. They're still young (8, 6, 5, 2) so I've started them out small. I found some cheap hammocks on Amazon with integrated bug nets. I have 2 tarps already so on this trip we just set up bunk style. I put the 5 year old above me (you can barely see her hammock under the diamond tarp) and the 6 & 8 year olds under the bigger tarp (2 year old was still at home. We hiked the next morning and I wasn't toting a toddler.). They we just fine with some blankets. I ended up grabbing my UQ in the middle of the night. I'll slowly add equipment as we go, but I'll probably buy new for me and hand it down to them.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950U mediante Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bolting Carcass View Post
    It all just depends on how you do it. I've gotten my girls (4) hooked on hammocks. They're still young (8, 6, 5, 2) so I've started them out small. I found some cheap hammocks on Amazon with integrated bug nets. I have 2 tarps already so on this trip we just set up bunk style. I put the 5 year old above me (you can barely see her hammock under the diamond tarp) and the 6 & 8 year olds under the bigger tarp (2 year old was still at home. We hiked the next morning and I wasn't toting a toddler.). They we just fine with some blankets. I ended up grabbing my UQ in the middle of the night. I'll slowly add equipment as we go, but I'll probably buy new for me and hand it down to them.

BTW, I convinced them to use their birthday/Christmas money on the hammocks. Nothing out of my pocket.

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    You have no idea how much I have to pay in import taxes/duties to have the best you can buy in US.
    Anyway it's worth it! I have nothing like that here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast