Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rain bounce spray?

Hello all. I’m hoping some of you can help me further diagnose a mystery. I am a relative newbie to hammock camping.
    I have a Ridgerunner hammock and a 13’ UGQ Winter Dream XL tarp. I have spent numerous backyard-woods fair-weather nights in it but wanted to give it a hard rain test to make sure I could stay nice and dry under the tarp before I actually took it out in the “true” wilds. They were calling for really hard rains during the evening and night. So during the day I set it up the way I always pitch it and went out to climb in after midnight when it had already been raining pretty hard for a few hours. I found the bottom layer of my DL Ridgerunner hammock to be pretty much totally soaked and the inside top (sleeping surface layer) to be slightly damp as well. At the time the rain had totally stopped so I couldn’t detect any leaks in the tarp. I decided to go ahead and climb in for the night because the sleeping surface wasn’t too wet and a insulated inflatable mattress kept me from coming into contact with the soaked bottom layer. I knew multiple storms were supposed to move through during the night and I wanted to see where this water was coming from. About an hour later I woke up to a very hard rain and I could feel fine spray on my face – like a light misting. I shined the flashlight all along the tarp interior and ridgleline and couldn’t detect a leak anywhere. After playing around a while by holding my arm out the right side of the hammock, I noticed the spray was mostly detected along the outside edge of my arm but not on the top where it would hit if it was coming through the tarp. The only explanation I can figure is water was hitting the ground and bouncing/spraying up against the bottom and side (and over the side) of the hammock. The amount making it up and over the side was minimal – not enough to keep me from sleeping - but definitely enough to wake me every time a storm rolled through. Is “rain bounce spray” a common problem?

My tarp is a really wide one. The way it was pitched the outside edge of the hammock was about two feet in from the edge of the tarp. The tarp edge was about two feet off the ground and the hammock was about two feet off the ground. The hang is on a slight slope so the upper right side of the hammock is about a foot closer to the ground than the lower left side. This slope actually causes the edge of the tarp to be about on the same plane as the hammock level. All the “spray” seemed to be coming in over that upper hammock side that was closer to the ground. Is ground-bounced spray something others have experienced? How high above the ground do I need to hang to avoid it? On my two favorite trees I really can’t raise the hammock anymore because I wouldn’t be able to get into it due to the slope. I could lower the upper tarp edge down to the ground but I’ve read so many posts of guys weathering out hard storms – even in porch mode - that it seems like it shouldn’t be necessary to have the tarp edge right down on the ground. Maybe the main culprit is just the sloped angle of the ground in relation to the hammock and the fact that water bounces off the slope and is directed directly onto the hammock bottom/side.

Anyway, the whole thing really surprised me. I figured with such a wide tarp and ample coverage on the sides that rain would have to blow in totally sideways (which it wasn’t) to reach the hammock. I never even considered something like rain bouncing off the ground on a sloped surface. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this and what you might necessarily avoid when picking your hanging site/trees.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Is the tarp silnylon?
    It could be what they call misting.
    Sometimes in rain it is better to pitch the tarp a bit wider so splash stays further out. Depends on the rain.
    A video....https://youtu.be/GBnkGIz9cco
    Article....http://adropofrain.net/2014/08/prote...-driven-rains/

Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I think you'll find that if you do, in fact, pitch the tarp so the edges are closer to the ground, you'll eliminate most of not all of your splashing problem. Another solution would be to get an underquilt protector... though this sounds like a whole lot of water.

Thank you both for your replies.
    Shug! Your videos are a large part of what got me interested in trying hammock camping! Thanks for all the info!

My tarp is Silpoly - so it looks like the misting through the tarp probably isn't the culprit. I really am pretty convinced it is bounced rainspray. Some of the wet surface of the Ridgerunner even has a tiny bit of "grit" to it that I think is dirt carried up from the ground. I will definitely try the tarp edge more closely pitched to the ground. I hate to lose side visibility though and will probably try to just search out a flatter site and see if that helps by eliminating the slope and closer proximity of the ground to the hammock. In a lighter rain this might not even be an issue but we have been getting hammered here in the east with hard rains.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I just saw a video of a thru-hiker that gathered leaves to put under the edges of his tarp to eliminate the splash affect so you may want to try that if available.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I just saw a video of a thru-hiker that gathered leaves to put under the edges of his tarp to eliminate the splash affect so you may want to try that if available.
    Cool. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never had this splash that some describe, and I've been in some frog-strangler storms. Then again, I'm not using a bridge hammock. I expect you probably have more of a problem with splash than someone using a gathered end hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Did you have drip lines on your hammock suspension? If not, that could explain the initial wetness of the hammock when you got in- if water had traveled down your suspension and into your hammock fabric.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Did you have drip lines on your hammock suspension? If not, that could explain the initial wetness of the hammock when you got in- if water had traveled down your suspension and into your hammock fabric.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    I do have drip lines. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I've never had this splash that some describe, and I've been in some frog-strangler storms. Then again, I'm not using a bridge hammock. I expect you probably have more of a problem with splash than someone using a gathered end hammock.
    "frog-strangler"...I love that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast