Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie

Wooki 40 or 20 degrees

I own a 20 degree wooki, and i want 1 more for my son. I do not camp in winter time. Done that never more.
    So the time of the year will be spring to fall. 40 degrees is pretty much my lowest temp i want to camp. Not fun to take down 3 hammocks + gear in freesing temp. I can save up little more to buy 2 40 degrees wooki's. How low have people tested wooki or 40 degree quilt to?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd go with a 20 and be safe rather than take the 40 to its limits, but that's just me. I've even used my my 0 degree wooki in 40 degree weather. Pretty versatile by just using less top insulation or sticking a leg out from under the top quilt.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
    I'd go with a 20 and be safe rather than take the 40 to its limits, but that's just me. I've even used my my 0 degree wooki in 40 degree weather. Pretty versatile by just using less top insulation or sticking a leg out from under the top quilt.
    The abovw is also my experience. I am female so maybe I sleep cooler, not sure how to measure wh sleeps warm or cool.

I buy 20° F UQ quilts because they work in a wide variety of temps. I am not sure what Norwegian weather is like, I know my home in Canada has really flexible weather. I do not want to get caught without proper gear.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    If you decide to buy the 40 deg wooki UQs, you might also consider buying a couple underquilt protectors as well if you don't already have them. Although they don't add much insulating value, they do block wind very well and will provide an extra measure of comfort insurance if you are hanging at or near the rating of the wooki.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Townsend Bridge
    Tarp
    Homemade Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ TR Pad
    Suspension
    Dogbones-Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinslotten View Post
    I own a 20 degree wooki, and i want 1 more for my son. I do not camp in winter time. Done that never more.
    So the time of the year will be spring to fall. 40 degrees is pretty much my lowest temp i want to camp. Not fun to take down 3 hammocks + gear in freesing temp. I can save up little more to buy 2 40 degrees wooki's. How low have people tested wooki or 40 degree quilt to?
    The working thought is to get an UQ that covers the lowest temp you expect to experience--you said 40* is your estimate, so using that, the 40* wookies would be the right call. A few extra thoughts, generally, the UQs, like the wookie, are rated conservatively, so you should be fine to lower than 40*. It also depends on if you run hot, cold or normal, you can adjust if you run cold, in that case, bump up to the 20*. But with the information you provided, I would say you and your son would be fine with 40* wookies.

Added thought it was mentioned above to get UQ protectors...that is a good thought, too. You can definitely get those later but they are great, do not weigh much, they cut the wind and can keep water from splashing up on your UQ. I would get the UQs, try them out and decide if getting UQP later is for you.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good suggestions concerning an UQ protector. Could also add an inflatable sleep pad if you thought it was going to get a lot colder and all you had was the 40 degree Wooki. Or dress warmer to sleep. Lots of options to add insulation.
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Hammock
    DH/DIY
    Insulation
    WB wooki
    Suspension
    Webbing/ Whoopie
    Thanks all. I might get som UQ protector's and 2 wooki then. My yeti are to short and the kids have problem sleeping with pads in foot end. Do the 3 season have same baffles as the 4 season?

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

Wooki 40 or 20 degrees

What I've taken away from reading lots of threads, and from what little experience I have, is you should buy/bring the warmest insulation you're willing to carry. You can always vent an UQ or stick a leg out of a TQ. You can't add down when you're too cold.

So, said another way, the only reason to own summer quilts is because you want something lighter weight or that packs smaller. It has nothing to do with comfort in the hammock and everything to do with comfort on your back.

I sleep cold, and on my last trip nighttime temps ranged from low 70s one night to mid 40s and 50s over the next few nights. I use a 20-degree UQ (Wooki) and a 20-degree TQ. I slept in complete comfort across that range of temps, and I would have been comfortable going lower. At present, I'm not bothered by the little extra weight and bulk that these quilts bring with them. I have one, general-purpose setup, and as such it had better perform over a wide range of conditions.

This is my opinion, of course, and I don't expect everyone to agree.
    Last edited by Snaps; 07-27-2018 at 04:43.

I was able to run with the 40* Wooki up to the last month of Autumn here in Australia sydney, the overnight temp was getting down to the mark of 10*c 50*f and possibility a dec or so less.
    On occasions l was noticing some cooler pools of air at this temp....(l hammock sleep full time) with this being said l do required to shake the quilt regularly from migrating down that does seem to migrate, for me personally more often away from the foot region......
    The advice I'd give make sure the down is equally spread throughout, with the addition of a UQP as l also use, in saying this, the 40 was definatly rocken on borderline for me at or just below 50*f.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I would go with the 20° Wooki since, in my opinion, it's on the thin side already. I sleep super cold and have been able to take a 20° Incubator down to about freezing with a hot water bottle - which is about what I expected from it. I started feeling uncomfortable with the 20° Wooki at around 65° (without a hot water bottle). It's now my summer underquilt. I have seen the 40° Wooki, and it looks and feels scary thin! If money is tight and you have rudimentary sewing skills, a DIY Climashield Wooki might be an alternative. The thinner the insulation becomes, the better Climashield works for its weight. It's not necessary to carefully shake small amounts of down to cover the area evenly. And with very thin underquilts, Climashield wins in the weight department as well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast